Author Topic: New Market Day 1st day of Winter  (Read 7887 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
New Market Day 1st day of Winter
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:07 AM »

It was not like summer or autumn but there is always a few interesting fruits at rusty's market.This lot is easy to identify.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: New Market Day 1st day of Winter
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »
First day of winter? Isn't that almost one month away still for you? I know summer is officially almost one month away for us.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »
Winter officially starts here on the 1st June and Summer 1st December.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:39:41 AM »
Sorry to post and run I will give them names as best I can.
The small red persimmon is a crisp red sweet in the fuyu style.
The melon is a mango melon which I much prefer to rock melon (cantaloupe) or honeydews.
The longan is a large types just appearing in the markets now.
The rollinia is a small tasty but seedy (40 small seeds per fruit) type that seems to be more common in winter.
The atemoyas the the smaller commercial form of pinks mammoth and is of excellent quality.
There is one akee and a different rambai type from pictures I previously posted.
The black sapote is a seeded (6 seeds) one of the general Mossman style which has a geat flavour.I prefer these to giant seedless, the seedless disc like maher,benicker and other common named cultivars.
The canistel is a small rich moist type that is unnamed and the firs type of the season.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »
Winter officially starts here on the 1st June and Summer 1st December.

Hmmmm, why would your winter and summer solstice not fall on the 21 like here? Thought you are exactly 6 months difference? Or maybe you are talking about official vacation times?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:45:46 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter
I can only speak on behalf of the rest of the World but maybe wikipedia can help

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 04:46:51 AM »
Cairns doent have a winter. Just a semi coolish break.
this is all we have in the market here now

As a contrast, this is what I had in FNQ 2 weeks ago:

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 05:36:35 AM »

If there was only a way of just putting your hand through the screen....to pick and choose the fruit your want ::) ;D ;D ;D

Hi Mike and BMc,

Thanks for sharing them pics...the spread of fruit's look super delish ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 05:48:59 AM »
Howdy Steven I'm popping down to fruitforest farm at Feluga tomorrow and they have eye-popping varieties and trees,perhaps the finest selection in the district.I'll try to create a diversion and snatch up a few seeds.I wish I could toss my extras to you because I can't eat it all and forgot to include a few other species.
BMc do you think the small PM could really be KJ Pinks? They are not like the real mammoths in your picture. 

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 05:55:36 AM »
Mike, the atemoya definitely looks like KJ Pinks. The true mammoth looks more prehistoric, while the KJP/PP is quite a lot smoother. The ones in the picture I posted are all around 1.2kg and are delicious.
Is it the Saleras farm you are going to? If so, keep an eye out for Soncoya as I saw pics of unripe fruit there a few months ago. I'll nominate myself for seeds if you manage to get some.  ;D
Can anyone (non Australian) name the ten fruit in my last pic?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »
Yes it is and only for an hour or so.I have passed on loads of seeds and plants in the last few years and he has returned the favour with interest.He forgot he had a soncoya for me with his top panama and el salvadore? grafted on to one plant.I suppose the cyclone made him forget.If there are good ones I'll get you some soncoya seeds.
Is KJP ok to plant seeds and have reasonably true seedling do you think?

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »
Howdy Steven I'm popping down to fruitforest farm at Feluga tomorrow and they have eye-popping varieties and trees,perhaps the finest selection in the district.I'll try to create a diversion and snatch up a few seeds.I wish I could toss my extras to you because I can't eat it all and forgot to include a few other species.
BMc do you think the small PM could really be KJ Pinks? They are not like the real mammoths in your picture.

Hey Mike,

That fruit farm your are going to looks very nice. 8)

Found a vid on you tube.

Absolute Fun with Fruit
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 06:18:14 AM »
Mike, the atemoya definitely looks like KJ Pinks. The true mammoth looks more prehistoric, while the KJP/PP is quite a lot smoother. The ones in the picture I posted are all around 1.2kg and are delicious.
Is it the Saleras farm you are going to? If so, keep an eye out for Soncoya as I saw pics of unripe fruit there a few months ago. I'll nominate myself for seeds if you manage to get some.  ;D
Can anyone (non Australian) name the ten fruit in my last pic?

BMc,

*Soursop
*Matisia
*Pitaya
*custard apple
*Abiu
*Rollinia
*Longan
*breadfruit

The plum like fruit and the two yellow ones...can't id them properly. What are they?
Time is like a river.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:01 AM »
Is KJP ok to plant seeds and have reasonably true seedling do you think?

Im unsure. Its a sport of Hilary White, which is a sport of Pinks Mammoth, so Im not sure what you'll get. Most mammoth line seedlings seem to be very true to type though, so I'd say the seeds would produce a big tree with good fruits around the 1kg mark. You'd lose the outrageous productivity of the KJP though. Last weekend I discovered a source for a cherimoya that fruits here almost as abundantly as the kjp atemoya. happy days.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 06:39:44 AM »

The plum like fruit and the two yellow ones...can't id them properly. What are they?

Ah, that's the curve ball in the bowl. Its the northern Davidson's Plum. They are  a super acid plum that is great for jam and tart wines and liquer. I'm one of a few people who appreciate them out of hand. I love the growth habit of the tree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »

Ah, that's the curve ball in the bowl. Its the northern Davidson's Plum. They are  a super acid plum that is great for jam and tart wines and liquer. I'm one of a few people who appreciate them out of hand. I love the growth habit of the tree.

Have a couple of Davidson plums growing very well, but not flowering or fruiting. One is 15 feet tall and the other about 10. Any tricks to get them to fruit?
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 06:47:17 AM »

The Davidson's plum tree sure is a beauty 8)
Time is like a river.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 07:06:13 AM »
Well, not bad Mike, but I think I stick to the apples from NZ and commertial bananas from Costa Rica I had this morning for breakfast...

:'(

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »

Have a couple of Davidson plums growing very well, but not flowering or fruiting. One is 15 feet tall and the other about 10. Any tricks to get them to fruit?

The northern ones seem to get big before they fruit - but should be around fruiting size at 15ft. Im growing D jerseyana, which usually fruits sooner. I also grew D johnsonii, which produced flowers and fruit when a foot tall - though they are pea sized and inedible at that size. It seemed to spaz out after I gave it phosacid and died back, threw up a few root suckers, which then died soon after. Its not a good fruit - just a rarer type, so no huge loss.

my father has a whopper of a tree - I think its jerseyana, but is well over the 6m mark that most say that one tops out at, so may be the northern form. It produces barrow loads of fruit.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
Thanks to Mike for starting this thread and to BMc for a great pictoral addition and information about "winter." The old....you learn something new everyday " adage made its appearance and was verified once again.  We Americans are so darned ego-centric. I never could have imagined that winter could begin anytime other than the winter solstace, as we here in the States have been taught.  Imagine that, the rest of the world has a different notion.  And, more importantly, the rest of the world's point of view actually makes more sense than to begin the season when the day is the shortest.  The sun's relative position shining on the opposite pole progresses slowly and colder weather we associate with the winter season, at least here in Florida begins well before the 21st of December...when we have a winter that is.  So........I was very happy to learn this more worldy perspective.  On the fruit front......I have violated the "Thou shalt not covet" rule many times over in seeing the pictures of the fruits you guys are enjoying down under.  Again, thanks for the eye opening and stomach growling you have brought about.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
Haus I think we can post more pics in the right season of some of the stuff we see here that may be different.BMc is well mannered,polite and helpful but unortunately I am a bit o a smart-ass because I realise you guys aren't sooks.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
Haus I think we can post more pics in the right season of some of the stuff we see here that may be different.BMc is well mannered,polite and helpful but unortunately I am a bit o a smart-ass because I realise you guys aren't sooks.

You're allowed to be a smart ass Mike as long as you send quality seeds over this way!  ;) Thanks BMc for info on Davidsonia. I might have to hit up Mike for some of the rarer species of Davidsonia later on! I think i just have the most common type.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
FL they are diferrent on every hill in sourness,hairiness,fruit size and tree size.There have been proposals to break hem into further species based on geographic and altitudinal variation.I could try to chase cassowaries away from fruiting trees that have the larger sweeter types with smaller trees.The southern australian ones are very different. I am yet to try a good sweet wild one.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
FL they are diferrent on every hill in sourness,hairiness,fruit size and tree size.There have been proposals to break hem into further species based on geographic and altitudinal variation.I could try to chase cassowaries away from fruiting trees that have the larger sweeter types with smaller trees.The southern australian ones are very different. I am yet to try a good sweet wild one.

Yes, that will be your mission, if you decide to accept it?
Oscar