Author Topic: No pollen in male Salak flowers  (Read 1166 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
No pollen in male Salak flowers
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
I have this problem, the first two three bunches of flowers on my male Salak had plenty of pollen, which I used to successfully pollinate female flowers. But later on I do not find any pollen on the bunches that opened. What could be the reason? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: No pollen in male Salak flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
Anybody?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
I have more than 150 salak.  I have never had this problem and have no idea.  The only thing I can think of is that you are not looking at the flowers every day and are missing the relatively short period of pollen.
Peter

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
I look at the flowers every morning and afternoon. The first three ,four flowerings, I could collect almost all the pollen. Could it be the weather?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »
Maybe.  I am located 9N, so more tropical than you I think.
The male salak trees have always produced lots of pollen, even at times when the females were not flowering.  Research and experimenting proved that by always cleaning the females of all dead material, cutting away completely un pollinated flowers, old fruit stems, lower leaves, etc. The females started to fruit over a longer period.
 Salak has certain peaks of production but I can almost always find some ripe fruit any day of the year here.  My weather is very similar to parts of Malaysia and Indonesia.  We have two seasons of mangosteen and durian for instance.  That is not so everywhere in Costa Rica but on the Caribbean coast it works.
Peter

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:14:48 PM »
I am situated at 11.6 N and at an altitude of 3000 ft. I do clean up the dried flowers of  both male and female Salak. Can I pollinate Red Salak with pollen of Pondoh Salak?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »
Hard to say.  I have a friend here who gets some salak hybrids apparently but he doesn’t know what they are.  I think they are from seeds he received in the mail.  Try and see.
I have s. affinis, Bali salak, and Java salak, s. wallichiana.  I may try to hybridized at some point, lot of work, takes time...
Peter