Author Topic: Is there enough variation between finger lime varieties?  (Read 2055 times)

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Is there enough variation between finger lime varieties?
« on: May 02, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
Is there any finger lime collector here?
I am intrigued by the finger limes, but so far my experience with them hasn't been overwhelming.
I saw the description of the registered varieties and they seem to vary a lot in taste and juiciness, is it true or it's just marketing.
Juiciness especially has been a disappointment for me, since I couldn't taste yet a finger lime which would pop in my mouth, mostly I feel like eating lemon pulp.
Does some variety really "explode" more than the others?

On another note, what about the varieties that are described as having spicy apple taste and apricot? I really can't picture it. Is it true? Varieties like Red Champagne for example.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Is there enough variation between finger lime varieties?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
starling1 on this forum seems to have extensive knowledge of fingerlimes.  Maybe you'll hear from them here.

Here's a previous post with relevant information:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10228.0

I have a green and a red fingerlime but I've only had one fruit (green) and it was underdeveloped.  The pulp did pop, and was the same size and consistency of sushi-roll roe (caviar) with a lime taste.  I'm looking forward to trying some properly developed fruits.

I believe starling1 mentioned that the common green and red varieties are poor, and only certain cultivars are worthwhile - ones I've never seen available in the US. 

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »
Here except from one nursery which sell minuscule plants of registered varieties at exorbitant prices all the other are just labeled: red, pink, yellow,etc.
That's why I wanted to know if it was worth the money.
So far I have:
Faustrime which I totally despise, because of the soapy undertone.

finger sanguinea, which grow like a slug. It did make a fruit last year but didn't fully develop.
The taste was promising however.

One generic red, which is just red outside.
Taste like a regular lime.

Another red, which is flowering now. Never tasted yet.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
starling1 on this forum seems to have extensive knowledge of fingerlimes.  Maybe you'll hear from them here.

Here's a previous post with relevant information:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10228.0
Brian, excellent link!  That one post answers a lot of questions about my finger lime and why's it struggling.  Going to have to make changes!

Thanks again!
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant