Author Topic: What happened to the forum person with the name Coconut?  (Read 5946 times)

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
What happened to the forum person with the name Coconut?
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
His posts were most entertaining and he seemed to have a lot of knowledge.  I messaged him awhile back about the elusive Soursop but no reply. 

Just curious if anyone knows him and why he doesn't post here anymore.  Also would love some seeds from the fiberless seedless Soursop he talked about!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the forum person with the name Coconut?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »
Many good forum members have dropped off , I miss Coconut's posts a lot .
He never replied to me when he was active but he's good to his friends on the forum, which are many. Someone knows what he's up to . 8)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
I had some questions for him about Apocynaceae lianas - he was our local expert  :(

I also miss CoPlantNut. I think the old off-topic forum left a bad taste in his mouth here (it did for me as well).  Half the threads there were just fights.

Don't think I've seen Jcaldiera either... he brought me coconuts from Fiji to plant once  :(
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
There are many seasoned campaigners and earlier contributors who frequented this place and have now diminished their posting or disappeared. I could name quite a few who had plenty to say who no longer seem to be with us.

Fruitdork

• Honokaa Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
Maybe he's lurking in the shadows... seeking, stalking, peeping.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
There are many seasoned campaigners and earlier contributors who frequented this place and have now diminished their posting or disappeared. I could name quite a few who had plenty to say who no longer seem to be with us.

Yeah, the admins (except for CookieMonster) seemed to have vanished as well.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »
Ouch  8)
Big Ups Sheehan every time.
For whatever reason participation seemed to fall off after Off Topic vanished.
I think part of it is there's only so many time's you can say the same thing, and doing a forum search reveals the answer to most questions.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
As with any hobby, there is a good sized subset of rare fruiters who get bored with the hobby and move on to other things.
Jeff  :-)

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
Hobby? This is serious fruit business 8)
In all seriousness though, thats true. Also some professional nursery Men and Women get too busy running the farm or business. Last year was a heavy hit for some with the hurricane in Florida, still recovering.
If you get bored with rare fruit , you were just on the bandwagon for some reason anyway.
How many different fruits are there to grow, and cultivars within those species, multiple lifetimes can be spent on all the possibilities.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »
Yes I miss  Coconut, even if I could only understand half of what he posted, I think due to my language barrier, the Whitman fiberless seeds I got from him now have three small fruits for the first time, can't wait to try them out.. M
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
Coconut's postings were super funny. He always cracked me up. Don't know why he left, but really doubt it has anything to do with offtopic postings, as he usually did not post in the OT section.
Oscar

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »
Yes I miss  Coconut, even if I could only understand half of what he posted, I think due to my language barrier, the Whitman fiberless seeds I got from him now have three small fruits for the first time, can't wait to try them out.. M
[/quote)

Wow.  Coconut sent you seeds.  Good deal. I loved his posts.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
Coconut was definitely an interesting character.  I suspect he will return one day, but who knows.

As far as losing seasoned members/contributors, it's probably multifactorial.  Maybe some move on, but IMO it's more likely that people actually move. 

All it takes is one major financial error, divorce, or career relocation.  Years of collecting and growing can disappear frighteningly quick :(

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 11:42:52 PM »
i love reading his postings. It's like a little mini storytelling.  The guy should be a professional writer.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 12:40:34 AM »
Rather than everyone guessing, i think it would be very easy to find out why members left just simply by asking them, should anyone really have enough interest in finding out real reasons? PM or email could even be sent as a survey which would be very easy for them to answer.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
How about Harry Houseman with the 100+ mango trees who lives in Broward?  I remember Coconut going on about the dwarf coconut palm trees he was selling for $5,000 each to landscapers building new houses for the wealthy. Fully grown and fruiting for sure.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:11:25 PM by zands »

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
I would love to meet Coconut.  He sounds like a character for sure and his posts were one of a kind!

Seems like he was/is pretty well connected and one of those people well versed in many aspects of life.  Has anyone ever met him before?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
How about Harry Houseman with the 100+ mango trees who lives in Broward?  I remember Coconut going on about the dwarf coconut palm trees he was selling for $5,000 each to landscapers building new houses for the wealthy. Fully grown and fruiting for sure.

And I thought he was joking when he said, he own a white Lambo.
Moh'd

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »
I'll ask him, anyone remember his user NAME? Coconut... Something else
El verde es vida!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
Yep. Divorce takes a heavy toll on collections, Noel and Harry being notable examples of this.

All it takes is one major financial error, divorce, or career relocation.  Years of collecting and growing can disappear frighteningly quick :(
Jeff  :-)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
Yep. Divorce takes a heavy toll on collections, Noel and Harry being notable examples of this.

I've been trying to get Harry to post a yard update at his new house, with no luck. I had lunch with him this week though. He's not a fan of soup dumplings.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
I had some questions for him about Apocynaceae lianas - he was our local expert  :(

I also miss CoPlantNut. I think the old off-topic forum left a bad taste in his mouth here (it did for me as well).  Half the threads there were just fights.

Don't think I've seen Jcaldiera either... he brought me coconuts from Fiji to plant once  :(

Someone suggested he makes those posts after couple shots of whiskey. Maybe some truth there because he was sober and very decent guy in person. Sorry Jack  ::) 8) 8) 8)

There was monster cyclone that went through Fiji in 2016, in fact it was said to be strongest storm ever in Southern Hemisphere. I doubt JC escaped with just light scratches towards his collection, but he wasn't posting before the storm anyway.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
shit meatballs, enough forum members I know have met Jack in real life.
I THINK I'd like to meet him too.  8)

I would love to meet Coconut.  He sounds like a character for sure and his posts were one of a kind!

Seems like he was/is pretty well connected and one of those people well versed in many aspects of life.  Has anyone ever met him before?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »
As I recall I took a some time off from posting that spanned into quite a few months. It wasn't that I lost my fruit mojo it was more that the business of life and other things to do got in the way and I got out of the habit of looking on here daily. There are a million reasons why people move on or change the intensity of their enthusiasm. The good news is that while hankering over old times and interactions with past chums is great, there are lots of newbies coming on board with plenty to offer all the time. Maybe not so much for moderators as murahilin pointed out.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »
Rather than everyone guessing, i think it would be very easy to find out why members left just simply by asking them, should anyone really have enough interest in finding out real reasons? PM or email could even be sent as a survey which would be very easy for them to answer.

I just called Jack and no one answered. We kept in touch after my move to Vieques for a while and then no calls were answered. I know he had many projects and other things going on. I enjoyed his posts and they added a light hearted humor to the forum. He was the last person I met with before leaving Florida for my new life in Vieques. He is one of the most generous collectors I have ever met. He sent me away with a large bulk of seeds and asked for nothing in return.

He is a naturally high wired person and given his life experiences,  it is understandable. I like people with intensity. It is relatable. If you see  this post Jack, there is a hillbilly in Vieques trying to get a hold of you!
Life is good