Author Topic: Sickly Edgar mango tree... diagnose its problem  (Read 744 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Sickly Edgar mango tree... diagnose its problem
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »
This was originally planted over a year ago as a tall scraggly 3 gallon. I 'pugged' it to a few feet tall in hopes that I could better control the tree shape, but in the last year it has not really done any growing and just appears very sickly. It shot out a decent amount of branches but, as you can see, many of them are not developing leaves or what is developed never really goes anywhere. Do I need to yank it out/give up or is this something that an aggressive copper/plant doctor/x-ray radiation is going to fix?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Sickly Edgar mango tree... diagnose its problem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
Hmm. I've noted in my area that trees growing near the canal do the worst. They normally start off really nicely, then about 2 years in start to decline. Sometimes pruning trees can cause a decline too, as it removes the nutrients stored in leaves.

The youngest leaves look like they have a potential nitrogen deficiency.

My knee-jerk reaction to that would be to do 2 things:

- Give it a high quality slow release fertilizer with micros, possibly with nitrogen
 - Hit it with copper on a regular basis. In my yard, I found that Cu was lacking, especially along the canal. After a couple of years worth of 75% copper (the highest concentration I could find), the trees bounced back nicely.
Jeff  :-)