Author Topic: Texas Persimmon - Diospyros texana  (Read 10824 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Texas Persimmon - Diospyros texana
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »
Texas Persimmon - Diospyros texana
Looks like a nice crop this year!

Ed

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Persimmon - Diospyros texana
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
This is a small native fruit but taste is way better than any black sapote that I have ever tried! The flavor is nice and fruity and doesn't require sugar or whip cream to be edible.

Ed

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »
Sounds interesting Ed - are there any named varieties? I assume it requires an amount of chill hours to flower?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »
Ed, I have one tree that is fruiting but not as big as yours. It's interesting in that a few weeks ago I came back from Texas Hill Country were we visited friends who retired and moved to Wimberley. They have the Texas persimmon coming up every where the foxes eat them and spread there scat around. Seems to grow under story of Oaks there! My tree is only about 4 foot tall, do the fruits get a little bigger as the tree ages?

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
Soren I do not know of anyone selecting and naming varieties. A few of us here plan to look for the largest and tastiest and start propagating them. The new tree I found as fruit almost twice as large as the fruit I harvested last year! They are evergreen and grow pretty far south in Texas so I would assume they are very low chill or no chill requirement.

Ed

Sounds interesting Ed - are there any named varieties? I assume it requires an amount of chill hours to flower?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
edself65,

I was actually reading a blog talking about how great the fruit is fresh. Would love to try them out sometime. I also wonder if Diospyros texana will cross with Diospyros kaki or Diospyros virginiana.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Scott I live in Georgetown and this tree is growing out in the open in full sun. Maybe the ones under the oak trees are where the foxes eat the fruit in the shade. I have seen fruit from dime size in diameter to larger than a quarter diameter. Also we are in a severe drought so most fruit have been smaller the past few years. This tree that I posted photos of has green fruit almost the diameter of a quarter with several months of growing to go. So I have high hopes for this one! Just waiting to see what the ripe fruit taste like!

Ed

Ed, I have one tree that is fruiting but not as big as yours. It's interesting in that a few weeks ago I came back from Texas Hill Country were we visited friends who retired and moved to Wimberley. They have the Texas persimmon coming up every where the foxes eat them and spread there scat around. Seems to grow under story of Oaks there! My tree is only about 4 foot tall, do the fruits get a little bigger as the tree ages?

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
Null the fruit is very tasty fresh. Also we had one of our members at one of our Texas Fruit Growers meeting bring in a fruit leather made out of the Texas persimmon. It was an excellent no sugar added snack!

Ed

edself65,

I was actually reading a blog talking about how great the fruit is fresh. Would love to try them out sometime. I also wonder if Diospyros texana will cross with Diospyros kaki or Diospyros virginiana.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
This is a small native fruit but taste is way better than any black sapote that I have ever tried! The flavor is nice and fruity and doesn't require sugar or whip cream to be edible.

Ed

That is a persimmon?  Do they have seeds?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
Soren I do not know of anyone selecting and naming varieties. A few of us here plan to look for the largest and tastiest and start propagating them. The new tree I found as fruit almost twice as large as the fruit I harvested last year! They are evergreen and grow pretty far south in Texas so I would assume they are very low chill or no chill requirement.

Ed

Well Ed; sign me up for seeds in Oct (?)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »

Ed

Well Ed; sign me up for seeds in Oct (?)

Me too, please !!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
Yes Future this is a native persimmon.

Soren and Ben Mango just remind me around September / October and I will have seeds available.

Ed

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
Yes Future this is a native persimmon.

Soren and Ben Mango just remind me around September / October and I will have seeds available.

Ed

Wow.  I have had some good black sapotes in my day so if this compares or exceeds as you suggest....do sign me up also for seeds!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »
I also forgot to mention that the Texas Persimmon is a very drought tolerant plant!

Ed

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
Ed, that is the biggest Texas P. fruit I've ever seen, can't wait for your taste test come Autumn, diffidently put me down for some seeds of that big dude. My small tree at best throws 1/2", hope those babies hang on. 8) 

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »
Scott I agree! This is the largest one that I have found! I hope it taste good! I have heard of some large fruited ones in the Austin area with good fruit but never tried them myself! I will let you know how it turns out!

Ed

Ed, that is the biggest Texas P. fruit I've ever seen, can't wait for your taste test come Autumn, diffidently put me down for some seeds of that big dude. My small tree at best throws 1/2", hope those babies hang on. 8)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:45 PM »
Anyone growing this in socal?
Shane

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
Hi ed. I would like some seeds as we'll. thanks. Dave

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
Ok Dave. I will post here when seeds are available.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi ed. I would like some seeds as we'll. thanks. Dave

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
From a member of our Texas Fruit Group:

Texas Black Persimmons taste good, but they're mostly seed and skin, which means they're a lot of work to eat. A few years back we decided to see if we could make a fruit leather from them. It worked great!
They're getting ripe in SW Austin now.
Here's how to make Texas Black Persimmon fruit leather:
1) Gather a bucket load of the fruit. Make sure it's all the way black. Like most persimmons, it's extremely astringent until fully ripe.
2) Gather a bunch of kids. They love squishy stuff. Put kids in old, disposable or protective clothing. This stuff stains like the dickens.
3) Get some cheesecloth or similar straining material. Wire mesh colanders work OK too. I've also used old cotton t-shirt material.
4) Have the kids squeeze as much of the pulp out as possible. You may need to re-strain a second time if some seeds and skin slip through.
5)If you have a dehydrator put the pulp on the fruit leather sheet. (Oil lightly first... we use coconut oil because it doesn't have a strong taste). Give it 8-12 hours, depending on how thin you spread the pulp.
If you don't have a dehydrator, you can put pulp on a lightly oiled flat sheet pan and put in the oven at very low heat.
You can often find new-in-box or barely used dehydrators at Goodwill and other thrift shops. They're frequently given as gifts to people who will keep them around for a while and then dump them once they decide they'll never use it much and it takes up too much space.
6) Hose everyone off. Hose off the table where you were squeezing. Hose off the floor underneath.
7) Check the drying progress periodically. It should be pliable, not gooey, not stiff. It will stiffen up a bit more once you remove it from the heat and the sugars solidify.
8) Peel off, cut into strips, eat, enjoy.
9) To keep it from sticking together we dust it with a little rice flour. Some people would probably use powdered sugar - I haven't tried that, and it's sweet enough as is in my opinion.
*Notes of caution: a) Like many fruit, there may be some laxative effect.
b) you can get stains on your clothes when eating the leather, too. So be careful!

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
This is so cool!

I just found out this year that there are persimmons native to North America, how many species are there?
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
I cant get seeds from this tree to germinate :( Been trying to find a more cold hardy alternative to a black sapote and I have no luck in my zone. I have Mexican plum and it grows like a weed. Anyone know where to get hold of a seedling or small tree that will ship to FL?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
There are seeds for sale on EBAY for not much more than the cost of postage, 30 for $10.
Regards,

Gary

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »
I will have fresh seeds in a couple weeks. I will have seedlings in the fall.

Ed

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
Yeah I tried the ebay seeds. Not a one germinated.  Edself65 Ill take a couple seedlings off your hands when you are ready :)