Author Topic: Is soncoya a comparable rootstock to other Annonas???  (Read 1203 times)

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Is soncoya a comparable rootstock to other Annonas???
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »
I just got a soncoya fruit to see if I like it. I didn’t care much for the taste unfortunately. Anyways, I was left with around 25 seeds which I’m contemplating germinating or not. I might grow one tree to maturity just as a collection piece. However I was wondering if soncoya is a good Rootstock for any other Annona species. I saw a few old posts here but no answers except for one individual saying they thought they got a geffner atemoya on soncoya rootstock just to discover it wasn’t. So does anyone know their comparability?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Is soncoya a comparable rootstock to other Annonas???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »
Compatibility:  largely untried.  Would be a very hardy, robust root-stock, If compatible.

Said to be usable as a root-stock for Soursop, but I haven't knowingly seen any producing trees of that combination.
Har

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:05:04 PM »
Soncoya don’t do well with frost.  Idk if that makes it less hardy as a rootstock.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
Large, well-established trees, growing in high-Calcium soil in the Homestead, Florida area, survived 25-degree F. freeze in 1984.

I have no info on cold-hardiness of tender seedlings.
Har

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:52:22 PM »
Soncoya scion grafted onto cherimoya rootstock seems to take well. Unfortunately, the Soncoya is more vigorous and eventually outgrows and kills the cherimoya rootstock. Based on that, I'd guess you could graft cherimoya compatible scions like cherimoya, atemoya, sugar apple, soursop and Senegalensis. You might get severe "elephant foot" though?

Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk