Author Topic: Monstera Deliciosa seeds  (Read 1089 times)

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
Monstera Deliciosa seeds
« on: October 27, 2019, 07:49:09 PM »
So I got a fruit from one of my neighbors Monstera Deliciosa plants. I was hoping there would be some seeds in the fruit but was unsuccessful. Are the seeds normally found in the fruit?

Thanks for the help!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Monstera Deliciosa seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 08:53:59 PM »
I thought you root cuttings? Suppose to be easy?

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:32:42 PM »
Yeah that’s the easiest way to do it but I like to be complicated lol. I’m trying to grow some from seed in hopes of getting some variegated varieties.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
Monstera fruits do have seeds sometimes, and you can grow plants from them, but it takes many years for them to fruit.

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 11:07:20 PM »
The odds of growing a variegated plant from seeds are extremely low. You'd likely have to grow hundreds if not thousands of plants before you get one, and it may be unstable or just a pure albino, which is unsustainable. Much easier to grow from an existing cutting.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 07:40:52 AM »
I have found self-sown seedlings under established plants and some seeds in the ripe fruit of the same plant.
The seeds are about the size and shape of unpopped popcorn kernels.
This may depend on pollination. The seedlings have to build up size and may take a few years to get over 1 inch diameter for maturity. If you can get a division off the mature plant by cutting off a growing tip that is the best propagule. If you take a mature plant you can cut the large stem into 2 node cuttings & plant 1/2 buried in soil and each segment will sprout a strong shoot. I am planting them under every fruiting tree and by the end of this year will have over 100 plants.
You can sometimes find potted 3 gals with multiple plantlets I assume these were from tissue culture.