Author Topic: The biggest mandarins I've ever seen--and some of the best tasting, need ID  (Read 2482 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Picked these up from the fruit market today. Very puffy, dimpled skin, absolutely gigantic--considerably bigger than navel oranges. Unlabelled. Very nice balance of sweetness and acidity. Out of 3 I've eaten so far, one was woody--the rest were very good, quite juicy like tangellos but with firmer flesh. Definitely not a tangello variety.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:49:31 AM by starling1 »

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
lots of seeds? easy peel?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:04:43 AM by Riverland »

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
Probably "Beauty", aka Beauty of Glen Retreat.  Very old variety thought to be a Dancy seedling. It produced poor fruit outside of QLD, so I guess likes humidity that we don't get here.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I can't tell what it is. There is a giant form of Ellendale that gets grapefruit size and the variety in the picture is not quite in the same range but it sure looks better with the blazing colour.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I saw a giant mandarin type in store a few days ago that are whoppers and different from those starling posted. They flattened, grown on the Atherton Tableland quite green and somewhere between 500g and 1kg each (over 1 to 2lbs) and the cut display one looked great. It was deep orange with a tight skin and only a couple of seeds.

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
Here in Mexico they call this Mandarin "Reina"-Queen