Author Topic: Lemon Zest Seedling Project  (Read 24484 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest Seedling Project
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
Wow Fang,

Thanks for the information! I'll probably grow out the zygote as well just to see what I'll get. I'm afraid I will injure the seedlings roots but I'll report back after the operation.
Simon

Yeah, I think the trick is to do it in water and at the right stage in its growth when it has strong enough shoots and roots to not get broken easily but not too long that they tangle up. The buoyancy of the water helps. This is a Jim Neitzel trick btw.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
Rob - why did they name the most ORANGEY-tasting mango I've ever had, LEMON
ZEST?  I mean I don't taste a bit of lemon....is it just me and mine?

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »
Hey Gary,

I may be the only one on earth that thinks this but during the tasting event at your place, my palate definitely detected a strong taste of lemon zest in a candied Meyer Lemon peel sort of way. I love that taste and can't wait to taste it again!
Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »
Simon - guess I missed that....but I wish you could just see the overwhelming
orange taste in these properly ripened ones.....

I'll probably have another one tonight and I'll search for the candied lemon
peel flavor.....

G

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
From Gary's taste testing, I recall the CA desert grown LZ had a less "orangey" flavor than the FL grown LZ we tried... But both were excellent!   
Warren

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
Not now, Warren - it's KILLER orange with WICKED zest.....
wish I could give you all a taste of it now.....

:P

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
It is a ripeness issue that brings out the orange flavor in LZ.  Not at peak ripeness and it has a blend of ornage/lemon flavor.

If you were to taste and see an Orange Sherbert, you would see why LZ is LZ and OS is OS.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
hmmmm....interesting....makes sense....I'll keep an eye out
por la differencia....

G

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
YES!  You guys were right!  Really a lemon/orange sweet mash-up - yep just tasted it.....
boy....this mango really stays with you!

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »
Hey Gary, have you considered top working your Manilla mango with Lemon Zest or other varieties that you like? Your Manilla is very vigorous and must have an excellent root spread by now. Imagine if instead of all those Manillas, you had that many LZs! You could top the tree very low to stimulate new growth lower down on the trunk and then wait until the new growth is about pencil thick before you graft. The strong foundation of that Manilla tree should push the grafts to grow very fast. Your a Manilla tree is beautiful but I just felt you weren't very pleased with the quality of the fruit.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
Hey Gary, have you considered top working your Manilla mango with Lemon Zest or other varieties that you like? Your Manilla is very vigorous and must have an excellent root spread by now. Imagine if instead of all those Manillas, you had that many LZs! You could top the tree very low to stimulate new growth lower down on the trunk and then wait until the new growth is about pencil thick before you graft. The strong foundation of that Manilla tree should push the grafts to grow very fast. Your a Manilla tree is beautiful but I just felt you weren't very pleased with the quality of the fruit.

Simon

Simon
I suggested the same thing to Gary but I don't think he has the heart to crop down his first love :) he's got 2 Manila trees that are well establish and would be perfect candidates for top working. Gary, if you don't have the heart I would be more than happy to bring my saw down to Palm Spring and make short work out of those Manilas  :D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
Rob - why did they name the most ORANGEY-tasting mango I've ever had, LEMON
ZEST?  I mean I don't taste a bit of lemon....is it just me and mine?
Gary

Some fruits are orange-lemon taste and some are totally orange sherbet tasting is what I have seen. Scrape the flesh off right near the skin for some resinous orange tastes. LZ that are ripe to a bit past ripe and later in the tree's season seem to go more to the 100% orange taste

I can see why Zill does  not release orange sherbet/would create too much confusion/ plus going by the OS marked pots that many of the first LZ were sent out in..... The LZ was going to be called OS but Zill changed their minds

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »
HA!  I read your minds.  I did a HUGE chopping of the Manila out front today.  Probably cut too much,
but frankly I know how fast it grows back.  Problem is my grafting skills.  Guess I'll need to watch
some grafting videos again and get started.  What is that graft one does on the side of a trunk -
oh, yeah VENEER.....well. I'm gonna start probably after the worst of the heat leave in Sept., but
might try a few before.....

Wish I could pay somebody to come out and do like 30 LZ grafts for me.....

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 12:34:19 AM »
Hey Gary, if you have branches really low, you can just innarch or approach graft the Lemon Zest. This will require you have a potted Lemon Zest but you should get a high rate of success and if you approach graft low enough, just let the Lemon Zest scion become the new tree and you will only have to remove any new growth from beneath the graft.
Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
HA!  I read your minds.  I did a HUGE chopping of the Manila out front today.  Probably cut too much,
but frankly I know how fast it grows back.  Problem is my grafting skills.  Guess I'll need to watch
some grafting videos again and get started.  What is that graft one does on the side of a trunk -
oh, yeah VENEER.....well. I'm gonna start probably after the worst of the heat leave in Sept., but

Gary

Actually the higher heat will generally cause greater success...

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »

Gary
Aww, you could have made us each do 5 during the tasting and be done. 5 is not too bad, but once you go above 10 I imagine it becomes less interesting. I wouldn't have mind doing some although I haven't had success with mango yet.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »
Guys, if you want the clone, just germinate the seed and dump the mass into a 5 gallon bucket. Then gently pull them apart to see which one is the cross and discard it. The fertilized one will have true cotyledons attached to it while the clones are not attached to anything.

Hey Fang,

I dumped out my LZ seedling to try to see which one was attached to the cotyledon but unfortunately, both sprouts appear to be attached! One sprout is attached to each half of the cotyledon. If I try to seperately them, the cotyledon will fall off, I have tried this a couple times with my Manilla seeds and sometimes they seperately easily, sometimes they don't. I think I know what you mean though, sometimes, I have seen obvious clones growing from a corner of the seed, not attached to anything.

Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
Here's my CHOPPED Manila - it felt like murder, but then I grafted about
20 LZ scions to it and felt better....

I'm sure it's not a very good pugging....should probably get rid of some
if not all of those lower branches....still need to recover from the blade
work I guess....suggestions?

Gary

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
Simon, maybe it's not a poly? I would think the clone shoot would grow directly from the piece of mother tissue rather than being attached to it with a little bridge. I never germinated a poly seed so your experience is what matters.

Maybe Gary can try germinating his LZ seeds to make sure they're poly.

Sometimes the embryo or the mother tissue pieces can die off in the seed and you can end up with a seed with all clones or just the one fertilized embryo, which is not very likely.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
Here's my CHOPPED Manila - it felt like murder, but then I grafted about
20 LZ scions to it and felt better....

I'm sure it's not a very good pugging....should probably get rid of some
if not all of those lower branches....still need to recover from the blade
work I guess....suggestions?

Gary

Yea, three our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be......

I would have chopped it down further and done some bark grafts. Too bad you live 120 miles not 20 minutes or I would have helped you out, perfect time to graft mangos.

Good luckMangoDog!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:01 PM »
Yeah, JF, I could still do bark grafting down low, but have NEVER had success with it before.
Can you do it on a fairly thick trunk????

Gary

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
Fang - I am going to sprout all my LZ seeds and then i'll post a picture
so you can tell what to do with what.....

thanks, Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
Thanks For the information Fang! There is a chance it's not poly but I did get two sprouts from it do far.

Gary, I agree with JF and would have chopped it down much lower. I would have brought it down to 2-3 ft, leaving no branches above the cut. This should stimulate vigorous new growth for you to work with once it has matured a little. Once the branches have matured, you simply select a few evenly spaced branches to graft. Once a graft takes, all you have to do is carefully monitor and remove any new growth from beneath the graft. By doing this, you will save yourself a lot of work later by not having to constantly remove the vigorous Manilla branches.
Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 01:40:53 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12110.0

Gary, watch this vid.  At 25:43, this is what JF and simon is talking about.  This is also what I would have done. 

I completely changed the canopy of my moms cherimoya tree by bark grafting major scaffold branches.  I haven't experienced any suckering of the original tree.  Not sure if this is the case for mangos.  I believe Max did the same to his aunts large mango tree with success.  Maybe he can chime in on the after care
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:46:57 AM by xshen »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12110.0

Gary, watch this vid.  At 25:43, this is what JF and simon is talking about.  This is also what I would have done. 

I completely changed the canopy of my moms cherimoya tree by bark grafting major scaffold branches.  I haven't experienced any suckering of the original tree.  Not sure if this is the case for mangos.  I believe Max did the same to his aunts large mango tree with success.  Maybe he can chime in on the after care

that's fine but what I meant was more like our Mangoprofessor's top working video. Tim put out a great video on top working mangos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4MB23FFi8