Author Topic: Italian lemons - low temp threshold?  (Read 1694 times)

skinn30a

• Santa Rosa Beach, Fl 32459
    • View Profile
Italian lemons - low temp threshold?
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

Could anybody provide me some visibility into the temperature thresholds of Italian lemons, especially Femminello? I have hardly any experience with lemons save for Meyer and would like to grow a true lemon. I am aware that lemons and limes are the most cold sensitive of the citruses but I'm hoping to get some clarity on that. Are they just frost sensitive and hardy to 32 degrees or are the likely to fail in temps that are above freezing?

Best,

Skinn30a
Zone: Border of 9a/8b
-----------------------------------------------------
"but do please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: Italian lemons - low temp threshold?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:44:07 AM »
i have 2 feminelos lunario planted in ground 2 years ago which are doing fine, but they have not been tested yet, because temperatures did not drop under 0 C. However i know they are sensitive because one tree in dooryard not far from me, has lost all the leaves. My guess is because of the cold wind. That winter 3 years ago was colder with some snow which has melted same day. unfotunately i do not know exact temperature, but i would guess -1 or - 2. Cold wind called bura (bora in english) does most damage here.
i have never seen damage from cold on any other citrus sort.   

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: Italian lemons - low temp threshold?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »
I have seen around here other healthy lemon trees like eureka or lisbon which are 30 to 40 years old. Last 40 years we have experienced some serious coldness, but they survived.   I am sure they could all survive in your climate.