Author Topic: Achacha versus Mex. Garcinia - 5 years later  (Read 23485 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Achacha versus Mex. Garcinia - 5 years later
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
5 years ago I got Achachairu seeds from Bolivia , they were shared with my friend Raul who has land at sea level .

The plants grew very well at both locations ( I am at 300 meters above sea level ) Mine were planted ( due to lack of space ) outside my property in the federal zone and were shopped down to the ground by some stupid municipal workers surveying the land . They recovered well and are now 1 meter . Raul's trees fruited this year, ripened end of August ,  so I had the opportunity to pick fruits today , I must say for a first fruiting they really produced a lot .

The first thing that came into y mind after eating a few was : Why didn't the Australians do their home work before planting 10.000 plus Achachas ? I am not saying the achachairu is bad but the Mexican Garcinia is a lot more superior in size , taste , juiciness , name it .....( and this is not a sales pitch )

So , to all of you growing Luc's Garcinia , pamper your trees , they are worth it. Pics below are of the Achachairu

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Achacha versus Mex. Garcinia - 5 years later
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
Luc,

Thanks for the information, can't wait to try future fruits.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »
5 years ago I got Achachairu seeds from Bolivia , they were shared with my friend Raul who has land at sea level .

The plants grew very well at both locations ( I am at 300 meters above sea level ) Mine were planted ( due to lack of space ) outside my property in the federal zone and were shopped down to the ground by some stupid municipal workers surveying the land . They recovered well and are now 1 meter . Raul's trees fruited this year, ripened end of August ,  so I had the opportunity to pick fruits today , I must say for a first fruiting they really produced a lot .

The first thing that came into y mind after eating a few was : Why didn't the Australians do their home work before planting 10.000 plus Achachas ? I am not saying the achachairu is bad but the Mexican Garcinia is a lot more superior in size , taste , juiciness , name it .....( and this is not a sales pitch )

So , to all of you growing Luc's Garcinia , pamper your trees , they are worth it. Pics below are of the Achachairu

LUC dont worry I found out that already, I have 22 of your trees.  I gave them the same breeding treatment as my annona and 100% survival. I am currently looking at breeding your fruit for a larger size & hopefully a red color so I can put those mangosteen monopoly countries out of business and encourage those Mexicans growing Marijuana in America forest to return home and grow orchards of it for export. ;D

Say do you or could you find different ecotype of them in your region for me, any genetic mutation of fruit color or size and taste would greatly appreciate.  I got a buddy in Loxahatchee with a 1,000 acres of veggies but he is getting tire of competing against cheap Mexican import, so I think your crop would be of values to him.  :D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
Luc,

Just curious... what's the largest seed order you have gotten? And that wasn't coincidentally from Australia?

Tomas

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »
Here is a picture of my achachairu In the ground now for a year in full sun purchased from Montoso gardens three years ago as a 12 inch seedling. It is taller than my six foot hedge Surinam cherry hedge. I can't wait until it's fruiting like this one. I also can't wait until the my  Mex. Garcinias I got from you are fruiting but they are the size of my Achacha when I first got it from montoso gardens so I will have to be patient. Thanks for sharing.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:40 PM »
So garcininia vleerackerii produces after 5 years right? That's a lot faster then the real mangosteen but i 've never heard that they taste as good as the real thing, can you confirm that?

The achacha's from Oz sell well overseas even in Holland, i hope to see your mexican mangosteens in the Makro one day so i can compare them.

So now the rankings are 1-mangosteen, 2 mexican mangosteen, 3 achacha? I agree that size also matters but taste is still the most important.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
Luc,

Your question :
The first thing that came into y mind after eating a few was : Why didn't the Australians do their home work before planting 10.000 plus Achachas ?

I know the answer, Because they do not know you and the Garcinia vleerackerii  :)

I have around 400 trees and seedling Garcinia vleerackerii  , and I want to have 10.000

Thanks
Best regards
Ricardo

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »
Speaking about mangosteens, i saw them on the market today but they were small. I don't understand when they are in season because this is the 3rd time they sell them this year, in march, around may and now again.
And i didn't even buy them because i need big ones.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
Luc,
Thank you for your report. 
I believe that those achachairus could have been picked a little later when the skin is a bit orange in color.
I have never tasted a Mexican/Luc's garcinia, and I appreciate your assessment.
By the way, I got go and throw some "cotton seed meal" on them!

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
Luc,

Just curious... what's the largest seed order you have gotten? And that wasn't coincidentally from Australia?

Tomas

3000 Tomas , not to Australia
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
Bangok, the Mangosteen flavor is very good sweet and tangy, "mangosteen flavor" on it's own, Limoncillo (popular name down here) is also sweet and tangy but with more oppsite extreme levels kind of the " sweet tart " mango, lets say stronger levels of flavor, then in contrast with Mangosteen tasting as "Mangosteen" Limoncillo as the name suggest taste like lemon gelatto as the flesh is not cottony like Mangosteen, is like sherbet Ice cream, then as flesh to seed ratio, Mangosteen seeds are way smaller than Luc's Limoncillo, but they have a very thick inedible rind, as oppose to limoncillo who has a delicious edible ( perhaps the only edible Garcinias rind , anybody  knows of ther edible one? )  crunchy rind which makes the hole fruit edible beside the seeds, this plant also likes cold as they are naturally over 350 above sea level, Coconut & luc I know of a tree who sets fruits of a dark Orange color, instead of the conventional yellow ones!
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
Achachairus vary a lot if you believe the press and the ones here are supposed to be an elite line.There are plenty of pix posted in past threads.There are quite a few Mexicans spread around the place.
So the mexican has better fruit than the rest including sweet madrono and any gardnerianas?

Sagan

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
I know of a tree who sets fruits of a dark Orange color, instead of the conventional yellow ones!
Anyway of begging you for some seeds ;-)

Also does everyone get quite a bit of variability in the mex. Garcinia leaf shape? I have some that are fat , short and rounded.......and ones that are very long slender and pointed. Granted these are small plants and not mature, but the variability is very noticeable.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »
Bangok, the Mangosteen flavor is very good sweet and tangy, "mangosteen flavor" on it's own, Limoncillo (popular name down here) is also sweet and tangy but with more oppsite extreme levels kind of the " sweet tart " mango, lets say stronger levels of flavor, then in contrast with Mangosteen tasting as "Mangosteen" Limoncillo as the name suggest taste like lemon gelatto as the flesh is not cottony like Mangosteen, is like sherbet Ice cream, then as flesh to seed ratio, Mangosteen seeds are way smaller than Luc's Limoncillo, but they have a very thick inedible rind, as oppose to limoncillo who has a delicious edible ( perhaps the only edible Garcinias rind , anybody  knows of ther edible one? )  crunchy rind which makes the hole fruit edible beside the seeds, this plant also likes cold as they are naturally over 350 above sea level, Coconut & luc I know of a tree who sets fruits of a dark Orange color, instead of the conventional yellow ones!

Raul , next season we gotta go and take a look at that " orange " fruiting tree , I also noticed one that had more flattened fruits ( a lot wider than high ) . I think the achachairu's skinn is also edible .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »

Raul , next season we gotta go and take a look at that " orange " fruiting tree , I also noticed one that had more flattened fruits ( a lot wider than high ) . I think the achachairu's skinn is also edible .
yes Luc I'll show you the tree is inside the Adventure Tours, Canopi land, about the Achachairu skin edible? Did you try it? I did one little bite and it was bitter like the Mangosteen one, or Maybe Im confused,  I also want to see the trees of those huge apple size ones we went when Dwight came for scions remembwr? Crossing the little river
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
The achachairu skins can be used in drinks and are modestly edible. Large ones would be around the 100g mark.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
Achachairus vary a lot if you believe the press and the ones here are supposed to be an elite line.There are plenty of pix posted in past threads.There are quite a few Mexicans spread around the place.
So the mexican has better fruit than the rest including sweet madrono and any gardnerianas?

Luc,

Also I have several seedling sweet Madrono, and I have several trees of Achachairu, and also I know have several quality of Achacha( good and very good)
But the question of Mike is very interesting, What can you talk about the taste of sweet Madruno x Garcinia vleerackerii

Mike,

Gardnerianas have a great flavor, but is small fruit, I have a quality of G. gardneriana dont have acid, only sweet, but small flesh

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
The achachairu skins can be used in drinks and are modestly edible. Large ones would be around the 100g mark.

Yes, the drink made with the skins of achacha, is very good, I drunk a lot of juice last year with the skin of achacha
I have several fruit last year with 100g or more, with a very very good flavor

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
The drinks made out of achachapeel are surpressing hungry feelings (is what i read) and that would be a great way to eat less and loose weight.

Also the peel of mangosteen should be very healthy to eat, maybe it's the same with achacha or luc's garcinia. I saw that our friend Mr Dorgon sells mangosteenpowder for a very high price, like the peel is something rare haha.

I ate a false mangosteen yesterday but that is not worth the name mangosteen, i didn't like the fruit but in emergency i would eat it.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »
The drinks made out of achachapeel are surpressing hungry feelings (is what i read) and that would be a great way to eat less and loose weight.

Also the peel of mangosteen should be very healthy to eat, maybe it's the same with achacha or luc's garcinia. I saw that our friend Mr Dorgon sells mangosteenpowder for a very high price, like the peel is something rare haha.

I ate a false mangosteen yesterday but that is not worth the name mangosteen, i didn't like the fruit but in emergency i would eat it.

drugon sells all, until  dorgon mother , but the problem is know if dorgon will send  mother rotten or another specie of mother

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
Yes Mike thats what I thought Achachas skin can be used for several options through a process,adding water, sugar, etc, limoncillo's Skin is 100% edible out
of hand as it has the same flavor of the flesh, in fact is the same flesh but the portion right below the skin is crispy when the fruit is 3/4 ripe, when is 100% ripe
Melts all togueter with the regular inner flesh ,only contained  by a papery skin  kind of Canistel's
El verde es vida!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 11:37:26 PM »

Raul can you locate the seeds of that tree, I have about 30 years of breeding left before I become fertilizer for Tulips in Holland. I would like to buy seeds of any large fruit, darker red or any color mutation beside the 22 yellow tree from Luc; to diversified my fruit breeding zoo; thank you in advance.  8)

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
Coconut , you'll have to wait till March , that's when they are in season .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »
I told my wife that i saw mangosteens on the market again (3rd time this year) and she said that now they can  produce them all year around like durian. So the Thai must have a new trick for that i guess.

Achacha can also fruit several times a year is what i read, can luc's garcinia also do that? ( in ultra tropical climate).

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
I told my wife that i saw mangosteens on the market again (3rd time this year) and she said that now they can  produce them all year around like durian. So the Thai must have a new trick for that i guess.

Achacha can also fruit several times a year is what i read, can luc's garcinia also do that? ( in ultra tropical climate).

I am sure with time we can bred Luc's mangosteen to do anything, early bearing to late bearing varieties; given time.  Of 22 trees, I have already discovered a natural dwarf already, perfect potted plant for the folks in more challenging cold that could be brought indoor like Maryland.   ;D