Author Topic: Help finding the sweetest Mango for Guinness book of records  (Read 18158 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding the sweetest Mango for Guinness book of records
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
Great suggestion Oscar! I'll use that list and update it as I have time. I would still like for people to post Brix results of super sweet Mango varieties they come upon here so that readers of this post can get an idea for the sweetest varieties out there, that we have data to. I'm hoping the new Zill varieties will have some top honors. Can anyone get readings from some older varieties like Carrie, Okrung, Okrung Tong, NDM?

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2015, 10:54:03 PM »
I just ate two nubbin Lemon Zest from my tree on Florida rootstock and it was soooo sweet I decided to bust out my refractometer. It was shockingly sweet, even sweeter than the Gary Mango we had at the Mango tasting at Peters Orchard. These LZ I just ate are the same ones that are round and have noticeable lenticils.

The longer fruit had less acidity, the rounder fruit had an orange zest flavor. Anyways, my refractometer only goes to 32% Brix so the Brix of these LZ exceeded the limitations of my refractometer. I still have one or two hanging on my tree. If anyone doesn't believe this report, I would gladly share a bite of the last fruit which should ripen very soon.

I will purchase a new refractometer with a higher limit. Honestly, I feel the mango was just too sweet.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2015, 10:57:16 PM »
See this thread for pictures of my LZ fruit:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17286.50

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2015, 11:20:05 PM »
I just ate two nubbin Lemon Zest from my tree on Florida rootstock and it was soooo sweet I decided to bust out my refractometer. It was shockingly sweet, even sweeter than the Gary Mango we had at the Mango tasting at Peters Orchard. These LZ I just ate are the same ones that are round and have noticeable lenticils.

The longer fruit had less acidity, the rounder fruit had an orange zest flavor. Anyways, my refractometer only goes to 32% Brix so the Brix of these LZ exceeded the limitations of my refractometer. I still have one or two hanging on my tree. If anyone doesn't believe this report, I would gladly share a bite of the last fruit which should ripen very soon.

I will purchase a new refractometer with a higher limit. Honestly, I feel the mango was just too sweet.

Simon

Hey Simon, that's interesting because, as I recall,  my LZ mutant wasn't a sugar bomb as you describe your nubbins. I didn't have a bix meter at the time but I did have a LZ early this week that was straight orange and had a brix of 26. I have another one ripening and I'll take a reading once it's ready. Here is a pic of my LZ this week

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:44:51 PM by JF »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
Hey JF, These sugar bomb LZ are extremely small and held on the tree as long as a fully formed mango. These LZ I just ate did not get much larger than the pictures I posted in the other thread. I will post a picture of the inside and outside of the last fruit. I prefer the regular LZ over these stomachs ache inducing diabetes causing sugar bombs, lol.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
Here's a picture of my second to last nubbin Lemon Zest next to a 1 lbs 1 oz Maha Chanok. I told Leo Manuel about my 32+ Brix nubbin LZ and asked him to try it for himself. I warned him it was super super sweet.

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 03:56:09 AM »
How is the list going?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
From my memory, the only thing thing that has changed is that Sweet Tart needs to be added to the list. We had acmango tasting a year or two ago and Sweet Tart was 27% IIRC. I'm not going to update the list until I can find the post where I had the actual Brix reading. I'm sure there are other varieties that have ultra high Brix and even with the varieties listed so far, it already beats the current record set by the sweet Elena.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk