Author Topic: Red Navel  (Read 8407 times)

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Red Navel
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »
I love Red Navel. A few year ago I bought the tree and finally got the first fruit from it. And guess what... it's not red inside!  >:( It's very tasty, sweet and juicy but not red. Now I wonder what is it? Anybody can help me to identify the fruit? Here it is on a picture on the left. Next to it is regular Navel.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:30:08 PM by Galka »

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Red Navel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
with blood oranges they don't get that red here in Fla, I think it has to do with the soil.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »
Yes, I know about Blood orange. I have Moro Blood and it has just red veins inside. Never heard the same about Red Navel (Cara Cara) though.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »
I remember reading that blood oranges need cool temperatures when ripening to develop their color.  I just picked a few Moros from my tree and they are a nice dark red, and I think they might still be ripening.  They get down into the 50s and sometimes 40s at night in my greenhouse.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
As brian wrote, the coloration of blood oranges requires cool temperatures, and has nothing to due with the type of soil the tree is planted in.   This is because the blood red coloring is due to a chemical called anthocyanin, which is a temperature dependent chemical. Cara Cara oranges produce a pink colored fruit due to a chemical called  lycopene.  Lycopene is not a temperature dependent chemical, so should always produce a pink colored fruit no matter what temperature it was grown at. Galka, your tree must be a regula Washington Navel orange. - Millet

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
Millet, that's what I thought about the color in Cara Cara. I have a regular Navel. Is Washington Navel the same as just Navel?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:05:27 AM »
The Red Navel, or Cara Cara, grown in Florida, at least Southern Central and South Florida, will not be a true pink but almost a blend of orange and pink.  It should,  however, hane more of a red or pink component then what it pictured above.
- Rob

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:13 AM »
Ah I didn't realize Red Navel was a name for cara cara.  I was thinking maybe it was the Smith Red I saw in Fourwinds catalog.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »
Brian, here is my moro blood. It fell of the tree when I was trying to put cover over for the last cold night. I think it wasn't ripe yet but also it may not be like yours when it's fully ripe.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »
Galka, there are several navel orange  cultivars.  Washington Navel is the variety that is commonly sold in the supermarket. - Millet

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
Cara cara is not to my knowledge a blood orange. My inground cara cara in Beaumont texas never had the orange flesh in the fruit. In September before any cold weather the flesh was red. The color is the main reason I grew cara cara. Standard navel oranges never get a very good color in SE Texas, even with cold weather. I suspect your cara cara was mislabeled and is some common unknown strain of navel orange.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »
Brian, here is my moro blood. It fell of the tree when I was trying to put cover over for the last cold night. I think it wasn't ripe yet but also it may not be like yours when it's fully ripe.

Smith Red is a valencia.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
Cara cara is not to my knowledge a blood orange. My inground cara cara in Beaumont texas never had the orange flesh in the fruit. In September before any cold weather the flesh was red. The color is the main reason I grew cara cara. Standard navel oranges never get a very good color in SE Texas, even with cold weather. I suspect your cara cara was mislabeled and is some common unknown strain of navel orange.
Yes, Cara Cara is Red Navel. I bought it for it's color and sweet taste. I believe it was Floydcitrus nursery. And I think it was mislabeled. Well, need to buy real Cara Cara for sure. Thanks to all of you for the comments.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
After a little bit of researching on Navel orange, I found 2 others here in FL. One of them looks like mine non Cara Cara. It's a Glen Navel. Well, I am glad I got it anyway. Very tasty orange.  :)

GT

• USA, SE TX, Beaumont, 9a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:16:28 AM »

Phil,
my Navels are perfectly (grocery store) orange for last few weeks and taste great. The only cara-cara fruit we had this year was light orange outside and deep pink inside. We ate it a few days ago and it was absolutely great.
Btw, referring to another tread, we tasted the only Hirado Buntan fruit that we had this year - by far the best pummelo I ever tasted! Definitely worth growing.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 02:30:24 AM »
My "Not Cara Cara" orange tree produced one odd fruit this year. I noticed it was different comparing to the others: bigger in size, brighter yellow cleaner skin, like it was from another tree. When I picked the orange, I noticed that the skin smells like vanilla which was different.  :o The taste was amazing, honey vanilla sweet. I would eat a ton of them. Also I noticed that one of the segments had dark orange spots and the whole fruit had 7 bigger seeds (usually no seeds or 1). Is it a so called "sport"? I am going to take a scion from that branch later and try to graft it.

Seeds.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:40:44 AM by Galka »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
Cara cara always has pink flesh, Even when the skin is still green. Here's one of mine that split & fell off the tree in early Sept.

And ripe in December...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
As with any of the "blood" oranges, flesh color can vary due to climate and location.
- Rob

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
Cara cara is not a "blood" orange.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
Cara cara is not a "blood" orange.

Notice I had it in quotes, to group them as they have some similar characteristics.   Whethrr a moror or cara, neither tend to color fully or at all in Florida.
- Rob

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »
That tree was mislabeled. It is not Cara Cara unless it reverted to a regular orange.  :o I also have a small Cara Cara now that fruited and the fruit was red inside even when the skin was still green (the strong wind knocked off the fruit), so now I am sure the first tree was mislabeled.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
Cara Cara, whether grown in Colorado or Florida should turn pink.  Because the coloration of the Cara Cara is caused by the chemical Lycopene, it will produce pink colored fruit when grown at any location or in any temperature range.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
Cara Cara, whether grown in Colorado or Florida should turn pink.  Because the coloration of the Cara Cara is caused by the chemical Lycopene, it will produce pink colored fruit when grown at any location or in any temperature range.

I have seen definite degrees of pinkish orange to pink to reddish pink in fruit grown in Central/Southern Florida and California.
- Rob

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
bsbullie, that seems strange, as the Cara Cara originated in, and is heavily grown in Venezuela, which is certainly a very tropical country.. Venezuelan Cara Cara are always pink.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
I picked up one of these trees last spring. Red Naval is currently the "in" fruit at least here in central FL. A lot of those road side fruit vendors are actively advertising them and selling them. I was told they were a cross between ruby red grapefruit and naval oranges and were not in anyway related to the various blood oranges. I tried one, they were fantastic, right up there with cutie mandarins in my opinion.