Author Topic: venus mango  (Read 21135 times)

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
venus mango
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
Came across this mango tree the other day....a Venus Mango. Looks to be fairly bushy somewhat compact grower.
What is the parentage of this variety and what is the flavor?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: venus mango
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
Its a Zill Indochinese (Zinc) seedling, 33-10. Flavor is rich, sweet....can't really add anymore subtleties as far as describing it. Its quite good though and seems to come late. Looks like it will be a good producer too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:56:09 AM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »
Yep. I tried a couple and thought they were spectacular.
Jeff  :-)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »
My Venus has gigantic leaves.  Like nothing I've ever seen on a mango tree.  I will try to post some pics later. 
George

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
My Venus has gigantic leaves.  Like nothing I've ever seen on a mango tree.  I will try to post some pics later.

Is it in a shady area?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
To add to Alex's post, which is spot on, as with the ZINC and other related ZINC siblings, it is very important to allow the Venue to stay on the tree until it gets some, or even a lot of its yelloe coloration.  It will not ripen properly if picked green...if picked green, it will actually wrinkle, be sour and pasty/chalky and somewhat insipid.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »

+1
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »
Might be a good late season alternative to Keitt...so I hear. Never ate one. Few people have this tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
Might be a good late season alternative to Keitt...so I hear. Never ate one. Few people have this tree.

I don't think it will hang on the tree through the end of the season as Keitt CAN do but who knows, still early in its evolution.

Taste-wise, only the best of the Keitts will match the flavor of a properly ripened Venus.

Mine does not have an overly large leaf (I don't believe) though I will have to check mine and get back with you.
- Rob

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
Rats! was hoping it was something I would not want. Huge fan of zinc so now I must pick this one up.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
Mr. Maniac - I've actually managed to graft a scion sent to me by a generous Florida mango
crazy man onto a Manila Rootstock this last year. It's currently in a pot, but it's going in the
ground in the next few days...It's very small - 10 inches tall at this point, but now I'm excited
to see how it does in our toasty dry desert climate!  This will be the smallest mango I've ever
planted....and also glad to hear it grows bushy - any comments on its growth vigor?

I'll post a picture in a bit...

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
Mr. Maniac - I've actually managed to graft a scion sent to me by a generous Florida mango
crazy man onto a Manila Rootstock this last year. It's currently in a pot, but it's going in the
ground in the next few days...It's very small - 10 inches tall at this point, but now I'm excited
to see how it does in our toasty dry desert climate!  This will be the smallest mango I've ever
planted....and also glad to hear it grows bushy - any comments on its growth vigor?

Gary

Not vigorous at all and seems to have a nice branching habit.
- Rob

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
Does Walter have a Venus tree?  I can't remember if i had one or two from him last year. I think i may have had a piece of one that Walter had set aside. Rob you were there, perhaps you recall.

Either way, i preferred the Providence over everything else i tasted that day, and bought the tree too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:18:28 PM by jc »
JC

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »

Gary
I would be curious...how did you do your graft? I made one attempt last year that did not take, but did manage to show positive signs for quite a long time. I thought it may be just too dry here to get them to take. I am glad to see there is some hope as I have way too many trees but would still like to keep collecting more varieties.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 11:28:53 PM »
Zinc is a rock star. Weird that we didn't really hear much about zinc and his progeny until just recently.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 07:11:06 AM »
Zinc is a rock star. Weird that we didn't really hear much about zinc and his progeny until just recently.

Most likely due to ZINC's splitting and uneven ripening issues.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
Does Walter have a Venus tree?  I can't remember if i had one or two from him last year. I think i may have had a piece of one that Walter had set aside. Rob you were there, perhaps you recall.

Either way, i preferred the Providence over everything else i tasted that day, and bought the tree too.
+1
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »

Yes, Walter has Venus however I believe it was Crystal and West Indan that you tried that day.  The West Indian was the one with the stronger flavor, almost guava like.
- Rob

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »
That's true but he also brought something out of the house, it was already cut. The Crystal and the West Indian were whole fruit and they were out in the fruit stand. I can't remember what he brought out of the house I don't know if it was Venus.   I remember liking whichever fruit came out of the house but ultimately preferred the Providence.  Maybe the Providence  came out of the house I don't remember.

I know he picked a couple of Providence off the tree and I got at least one of those.

Yes, Walter has Venus however I believe it was Crystal and West Indan that you tried that day.  The West Indian was the one with the stronger flavor, almost guava like.
JC

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
Mr. mangonuts - here's a pic of the small grafted Venus.  When I turned the plant around
I noticed a couple new shoots coming up!  Looks healthy.  It was the standard cleft graft on a manila.
Yeah, I've not had a lot of luck with grafting directly on planted trees and I think you (and I) probably know by now with our heat, the window for grafting is much narrower than for everyone else.  I think I managed this one late summer but can't remember.  I remember I shaded it heavily and gave it a good chance to take.

sorry for the blurry pic....

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
That's true but he also brought something out of the house, it was already cut. The Crystal and the West Indian were whole fruit and they were out in the fruit stand. I can't remember what he brought out of the house I don't know if it was Venus.   I remember liking whichever fruit came out of the house but ultimately preferred the Providence.  Maybe the Providence  came out of the house I don't remember.

I know he picked a couple of Providence off the tree and I got at least one of those.

It would have been a little early for Venus.  Yes, the Crystal and West Indian were from what I picked and were already outside.  It was probably the Providence he brought out from the house.
- Rob

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »
Ok that sounds very possible.
JC

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:31 AM »
Mr. mangonuts - here's a pic of the small grafted Venus.  When I turned the plant around
I noticed a couple new shoots coming up!  Looks healthy.  It was the standard cleft graft on a manila.
Yeah, I've not had a lot of luck with grafting directly on planted trees and I think you (and I) probably know by now with our heat, the window for grafting is much narrower than for everyone else.  I think I managed this one late summer but can't remember.  I remember I shaded it heavily and gave it a good chance to take.

sorry for the blurry pic....

Gary

Congrats Gary on the successful Venus graft!  Curious to see how well Venus will do in the desert and SoCal.   Happy planting! Please keep us posted.
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »
Does anyone know if Venus is Polyembryonic or Monoembryonic?  Thanks,

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile