Author Topic: My seedling ivory mango is pushing flowers!  (Read 9048 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
My seedling ivory mango is pushing flowers!
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
Pretty stoked to report that my seedling Ivory mango is pushing flowers for the first time. I attended the Fairchild gardens mango fest in July of 2011, that year they were featuring the mangos of Hawaii. Though the ivory mango did not originate in Hawaii, I brought a bunch home after purchasing them from a fruit stand at the fest. I thought it was a fantastic mango and one of the most memorable flavors I have tried, meanwhile not many nurseries propagate it. I decided to plant it out and make it my goal to fruit it. Honestly, looking back I am surprised it has stuck with me this far in its 3rd pot, and with me at my third residence (first home). It's been neglected and probably root bound, as I haven't found the right place for it, but today while walking my dog I noticed it flushing with some flowers.

Even though it is a ways off from holding its first fruit, I hope this post serves others a sense to persevere onto fruiting your seedling mangos!

-joep450

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: My seedling ivory mango is pushing flowers!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »
Awesome! I have a seedling mango tree grown from an NDM #4 mango. My NDM#4 tree is right next to the lemon zest mango and both trees were in bloom at the same time last mango season. You could see flies and other insects jumping between the lemon zest flowers and the NDM #4 flowers. It is a clump of two seedlings (poly-embryonic). The new leaves of the larger/more vigorous of the two seedling mangoes have a sweet orangey smell like the lemon zest, so I'm hoping it is a LZ x NDM #4 cross. I'm going to put it into a larger pot this summer and hope it blooms in a few years or so.  :)
Alexi

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »
Wow, in a pot too. Inspiring. :)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »
Very impressive. Ivory is one of my top mangoes - and that is a hard bunch to get into.  it enjoy the silky smoothness and sweet flavour.  The first year I had it, it was sickly sweet.  A great mango.  As a person who has been planting seeds since about the same year as as you planted this, very appreciative of you sharing this story.  I am gonna girdle my 2 oldest trees - Zill and a Spirit of 76 seedlings - again.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
congrats Joe very nice! Your tree looks great poly mangos are the fastest growers here in Socal and make the best rootstock based on what I've experience.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
Pretty stoked to report that my seedling Ivory mango is pushing flowers for the first time. I attended the Fairchild gardens mango fest in July of 2011, that year they were featuring the mangos of Hawaii. Though the ivory mango did not originate in Hawaii, I brought a bunch home after purchasing them from a fruit stand at the fest. I thought it was a fantastic mango and one of the most memorable flavors I have tried, meanwhile not many nurseries propagate it. I decided to plant it out and make it my goal to fruit it. Honestly, looking back I am surprised it has stuck with me this far in its 3rd pot, and with me at my third residence (first home). It's been neglected and probably root bound, as I haven't found the right place for it, but today while walking my dog I noticed it flushing with some flowers.

Even though it is a ways off from holding its first fruit, I hope this post serves others a sense to persevere onto fruiting your seedling mangos!

-joep450

Now the question is......is this a clone of Ivory or a sexual reproduction with its own unique characteristics?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
haha! That's insane!
Jeff  :-)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »
Dang. So that's what their flowers look like. You're so lucky. I got one inground and it's swollen buds mock me.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:43 PM »
I have a "Julie" seedling that I'm having doubts about it's parentage, but it's a GR8 little tree, and I'll go see the parent tree when both their fruits are mature and get some opinions on the parent.

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:39 PM »
I have a "Julie" seedling that I'm having doubts about it's parentage, but it's a GR8 little tree, and I'll go see the parent tree when both their fruits are mature and get some opinions on the parent.

Do you know what the actual parent is?  What makes you have doubts?
- Rob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »
Do you know what the actual parent is?  What makes you have doubts?

The color of my fruit is purplish, smaller shaped round, no problems with any diseases. I only saw the parent tree briefly (the tree sizes are right) when I got the seedling and it had no fruit on it but the co-worker I got it from insists the parent is Julie and she planted the seed. We are going to meet to assess them once the fruits on both mature.

But as you know there have been mislabeled trees before. She may be going by what a label said and not by the character of the fruit itself. I'll know if her fruit is Julie if I get to see them. Then once I get a few of hers I'll take them and mine to Jeff, and possibly others to assess. Hopefully my F$5#*^! neighbors will let me keep some this year! 
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
Gary - keep in mind, a seedling can wind up totally different from its parent.  Some of Gary Zill's project seedling had no resemblance to their parents, some of which were Julie seedlings.   Honey Kiss is a seedling of Keitt but it does not resemble Keitt in any way, tree size, growth habit,  fruit size, fruit texture.

The most important thing is that you like the fruit.  Seeking out the parent is an added bonus but secondary for a backyard grower with one "special " tree.
- Rob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 12:56:03 AM »
Gary - keep in mind, a seedling can wind up totally different from its parent.  Some of Gary Zill's project seedling had no resemblance to their parents, some of which were Julie seedlings.   Honey Kiss is a seedling of Keitt but it does not resemble Keitt in any way, tree size, growth habit,  fruit size, fruit texture.

The most important thing is that you like the fruit.  Seeking out the parent is an added bonus but secondary for a backyard grower with one "special " tree.

Understood, but I expected a bit more in common with the parent,  and the fruit are very good. I may name it:

Overlord mango, or Purple pirate, or juicy Lucy, or... no stop there, Juicy Lucy it is :-)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:05:58 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »
Hey Forum,

Circling back to this post because the time is very close to where I'll be tasting the first mango off my Ivory seedling. How crazy does this mango look, looks nothing like the parent Ivory mango it came from. It has a NDM type body and this chick has some hips on her dayum...

Tree only produced one mango this year, after I gave it a very heavy pruning earlier in the year was half the size, a vigorous grower... thinking 'leviathan turbo' as a potential name 🤓😈

-joep450

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
very nice strong seedling Joe but it looks like it did not come true to seed

real Ivory

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »
That's awesome, there should be a seedling mango thread. I'm following in my mentors(Leo Manuel) footsteps and planting both mono and polyembryonic seeds. Please let us know how the fruit tastes when it's ripe.

Simkn

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 07:59:57 PM »
That's awesome, there should be a seedling mango thread. I'm following in my mentors(Leo Manuel) footsteps and planting both mono and polyembryonic seeds. Please let us know how the fruit tastes when it's ripe.

Simkn

Leo, Eunice(RIP), Rudy and Jim are our mentors :) they are a treasure and lovely people

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »

Simkn
My take is that most seedling mangoes turn out OK enough. You might get a very good one. My one seedling mango experiment produced very good looking red fruit but just average mild Glenn kind of taste.

Biggest problem is what month will your seedling mango tree produce ripe fruits? Most will produce at the height of mango season when you are flooded anyway. So if you want earlier and later mangoes you are wasting space with seedling trees.

I would like to know various tricks people have for getting a seedling tree to produce fruit sooner like a grafted tree.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
Zands

I think that is what deters many from growing mangos from seed, the time lag until actually tasting the fruit, or long juvenile period. Once I was down off seacrest buying mangos from verna zill and Walter walked over, I asked him this question and his answer was get the seed in the ground. 🤔 Would love to know the secret sauce and or breeding techniques because the new zill mangos are incredible. I managed to hang on to this seedling because I kept it in a pot, so I could bring it from other places I was just renting at. I would prune it to keep it shapely and branching, and would fertilize with store bought fert and also scraps from omega juicer juicing. I almost threw the plant out because the wind kept blowing it over in its pot as it was top heavy and I didn't have a spot to plant it, my patience was at peek exhaustion, then one day I noticed the flower buds and was like ok I'm gonna stick this out, and I'm gonna make space for this.

-joep450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
Zands

I think that is what deters many from growing mangos from seed, the time lag until actually tasting the fruit, or long juvenile period. Once I was down off seacrest buying mangos from verna zill and Walter walked over, I asked him this question and his answer was get the seed in the ground. 🤔 Would love to know the secret sauce and or breeding techniques because the new zill mangos are incredible. I managed to hang on to this seedling because I kept it in a pot, so I could bring it from other places I was just renting at. I would prune it to keep it shapely and branching, and would fertilize with store bought fert and also scraps from omega juicer juicing. I almost threw the plant out because the wind kept blowing it over in its pot as it was top heavy and I didn't have a spot to plant it, my patience was at peek exhaustion, then one day I noticed the flower buds and was like ok I'm gonna stick this out, and I'm gonna make space for this.

-joep450

How long from seed?  Ivory is a good mango.  You might have your hands on the next lemon zest...

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »
Future- I ate the fruit July of 2011 so planted the seed shortly thereafter.

-joep450

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »
Future- I ate the fruit July of 2011 so planted the seed shortly thereafter.

-joep450

i think he meant since planted when did it flower for u & how is the taste of ivory seedling?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 10:57:06 PM »
Gozp- flowered in march 2015, will do a taste report once the fruit is ready.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »

Well the day finally came, when I finally got to try the fruit of years patience, but sadly not in the best condition. Only one came off the tree this year so I felt a lot riding on this singular fruit, it has been raining like crazy and within past week the fruit has swollen bigly. The kicker was when I came home today from work and saw a squirrel had eaten the top corner of the mango while still on the tree which by now was bulging out of the plastic strawberry case supposed I placed to protect it.

The fruit was large, measured 8.75in long and weighed 2.48lbs, was mostly green with some yellowing on the outside of one side as well as the top squirrel eaten part cut aside. The shape resembling an Asian mango (parentage ivory x ? ).  Due to this being the only mango I'm sure future years crop will vary under better picking and ripening conditions but I will report on what was. I did not notice any noticeable scent on the outside. The flesh was bright yellow and completely fiberless with obvious jelly seed. The flavor varied all over the place as A this was a yuge mango and B a mix of jelly seed, overripe, underripe, and decent ripeness. I did taste the Ivory terpenes in this mango most notably near the skin, I tasted some NDM honey flavor in the deep flesh with some Fairchild thrown in. The rest of the underripe mango resembled okrung eaten green which was actually exciting because i think there is potential for this as a versatile mango that can be enjoyed green or ripe. Another interesting point about this mango was the monoembryonic seed, which when I initially planted was also from a mono seed, I have planted other Ivory mangos I had purchased from Excalibur in the past and they were poly with many shoots of which I threw away. Personally I have yet to see a mono seed with Asian body but I have only eaten maybe near close to 130 mango types.

Anyways this year is a big vegetative year and looking forward to a big harvest next year under better conditions hopefully. Also per the crop, I hope to be able to send some members samples under condition tasting reviews would be posted if anyone down for that.

-joep450

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
Thanks for the report, I'm sorry the squirrel got to it before you harvested it but looks like the jellyseed would have affected it anyways. First fruits are usually sub par so hopefully it will get even better with age.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk