Author Topic: Jambolan "Java" Plum (Syzygium cumini) - Which one?  (Read 16004 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: Jambolan "Java" Plum (Syzygium cumini) - Which one?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
If your Indian friends want you to grow those fruits for them in your farm then can they not arrange for the seeds/plants from India?
Those fruits are in season between May - June: so if any of your friends are visiting India during that period then they can bring you some fruits/seeds.

http://www.dbskkv.org/Research/Varieties_Fruit-Crops.html

http://www.dbskkv.org/Research/Seed_Planting_Material_Availablity.html

I am planning a trip to India next year with some Indian friends for this reason.

I contacted the creators of the top two varieties, but they did not respond back.  Instead, they viewed my profile on LinkedIn.  lol

I didn't bother with the few varieties I found in the US.  Due to the size of these trees, I dont want more than 2 of them, and will try my hand at getting the best 2 from India first.

One of my Indian friends was there last year and was going to get them himself, but a nasty storm took over during his trip and the roads were blocked.  Plus it was an 8 hr trip from his area.

So, next year, if they'll permit me, we will have this here in the USA if I can pull it off.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »
We have wild java plums here. Just came in a few minutes ago from knocking out 5 or so trees (12-20" in diameter). The fruit is bitter, the canopy gets heavy and the limbs snap off. The bark is dense and the folliage is heavy. There is lots of water/moisture in the trunk. The trees pose a danger to anyone walking under them, especially when fruiting because the canopy gets heavy.

Unless its a really good variety, I wouldn't plant 1. If possible, try before you plant.  Planting trees is an incredible investment, figuring water, fertilizer, pruning, weeding, mowing.  The wild ones here are awful.  The wild pigs like them  ;D

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »
We have wild java plums here. Just came in a few minutes ago from knocking out 5 or so trees (12-20" in diameter). The fruit is bitter, the canopy gets heavy and the limbs snap off. The bark is dense and the folliage is heavy. There is lots of water/moisture in the trunk. The trees pose a danger to anyone walking under them, especially when fruiting because the canopy gets heavy.

Unless its a really good variety, I wouldn't plant 1. If possible, try before you plant.  Planting trees is an incredible investment, figuring water, fertilizer, pruning, weeding, mowing.  The wild ones here are awful.  The wild pigs like them  ;D

That is why I do not want the varieties in the US.  Many similar stories.

The Ra-Jamun and Konkan Bahadoli "Skeels" on the other hand, are improved and do not pose any issues other than their invasive root systems--requiring some open land.

I imagine the rest could continue being hog feed.  :D

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »
Jamum is aquired taste. Asians, specially Indians love it. The one I got from Mimosa in Los Angeles a 3 gal fruited in first year (air layer), and it was not bad. I grafted 5 additional varieties I got from USDA. will see how it goes.

I plan on getting cuttings on the best top 2 from India, if I can ever get them to comply with FDA. They are easy to graft and you dont have to wait several years to get fruit. If I succeed I will share with you.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
That's good to know.  I also ended up with one of those Mimosa air layers.  I didn't know if it was just a random tree like I already had or a sweet one. 

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 11:27:17 PM »
Jamum is aquired taste. Asians, specially Indians love it. The one I got from Mimosa in Los Angeles a 3 gal fruited in first year (air layer), and it was not bad. I grafted 5 additional varieties I got from USDA. will see how it goes.

I plan on getting cuttings on the best top 2 from India, if I can ever get them to comply with FDA. They are easy to graft and you dont have to wait several years to get fruit. If I succeed I will share with you.

By top 2, I'm hoping that means RJ and KBS.  :)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 12:39:50 AM »
Here in CA you cannot bring (in) plants from out of state or even bring (in) fruits from out of state.
Both of these statements are incorrect; fruit from other states or overseas is sold in California all the time, and I have bought tons of plants from Florida nurseries. But for plants you need a certain certificate to be filed and attached to the package, and also the plant must not have been grown in the ground due to nematodes, plus other stipulations. Probably there are requirements for fruits/vegetables as well but I wouldn't know about that.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
my understanding is that is illegal to grow this tree in US. because is invasive in South Florida Everglades.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
my understanding is that is illegal to grow this tree in US. because is invasive in South Florida Everglades.

So, u are saying its illegal to grow food thats high in antioxidants?

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
Jambulan from better varieties need to be air layered if you want to ensure fruit quality. I have about 40 seedlings right now from a pretty good one that grows at the Fullerton arboretum. Even though they are polyembryonic, you still will get a pretty good range of quality. One of the problems we have in the states is growers continuously sowing poor quality plants to make a buck with no thought towards improving the stock.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
Jambulan from better varieties need to be air layered if you want to ensure fruit quality. I have about 40 seedlings right now from a pretty good one that grows at the Fullerton arboretum. Even though they are polyembryonic, you still will get a pretty good range of quality. One of the problems we have in the states is growers continuously sowing poor quality plants to make a buck with no thought towards improving the stock.

Do u sell air-layered duhats?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 12:15:10 AM »

What about scions?

The big brag about the Skeels was that the seedlings were holding true.  Would be nice if they did, because I don't see me be able to work out an air layering plan in India and getting it to the US.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »

What about scions?

The big brag about the Skeels was that the seedlings were holding true.  Would be nice if they did, because I don't see me be able to work out an air layering plan in India and getting it to the US.

i was curious about the same thing.
my Jamun is almost 4ft tall
i will need 3 to 4 cuttings at least.

(anyone have some to spare, around March or April or so ? )

looks like they do graft rather easily.

http://www.actahort.org/books/890/890_14.htm

http://www.ishs.org/ishs-article/890_15

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »
So, back onto this topic.

The harvest season is coming up in a few months.  Those who said they'd be willing to get me some seeds from a sweet variety, I'd be grateful.

Still haven't made progress obtaining any seeds from the India cultivars.  Here is to hoping someone can fix this problem for me.  :)

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
The ones growing wild here on Pine Island are very large. I've seen them 60-70 feet wide 4-6 foot trunks and take over entire lots.
They just don't seem like a tree you can manage.

Viking Guy are the ones you're talking about smaller trees?
Quentin

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
mine actually died back to the ground
we had a colder than normal freeze this year.
about 27ish
several sprouts are coming back from the ground
and its a fast grower.
every couple of years we get a light freeze. every few years we get one a bit harder.
for me, this might just keep this thing in check, killing the smaller branches, and limiting the height.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
The ones growing wild here on Pine Island are very large. I've seen them 60-70 feet wide 4-6 foot trunks and take over entire lots.

The Ra-Jamun is not, but the Skeels is supposed to be a dwarf (in comparison, anyhow).

It is my understanding that the Skeels is the only one which is poly-embryonic, true to seed and manageable enough to even grow in a large pot.  It also has the second highest pulp to seed ratio, and flavor is only surpassed by the Ra-Jamun.

Chances are, I will only shoot for that one variety, as the Ra-Jamun is apparently standard size--which as we know sucks for this tree.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »

The Ra-Jamun is not, but the Skeels is supposed to be a dwarf (in comparison, anyhow).

It is my understanding that the Skeels is the only one which is poly-embryonic, true to seed and manageable enough to even grow in a large pot.  It also has the second highest pulp to seed ratio, and flavor is only surpassed by the Ra-Jamun.

Chances are, I will only shoot for that one variety, as the Ra-Jamun is apparently standard size--which as we know sucks for this tree.

Hi Adam, did you get your hands on these? Ra-Jamun is not, but the Skeels

I am still working on getting wood, damn indian nurseries dont even respond.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
No, still trying desperately to get it.  Having same response from the Indian nurseries...  none
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:21:25 PM by Viking Guy »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
BOOM!

I pulled it off, folks.

I am the proud owner of a 4 year old Ra-Jamun.

1 down and 1 more variety to go!

If anyone is wanting scions, let me know.

This is the sweetest of all of them, and the one that all of India is raving about.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
Loading her up with some supplements.  We will see some new growth really soon.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Hi Viking Guy,

I don't want to be mean or a hater on the java plum, but be careful.  :)   I dug out and dumped 3 java plums this weekend alone. The problem is real serious here.

http://kwbgs.org/resources/alternatives%20plant%20guide.pdf see pg 63, listed as cat 3 invasive (to be watched carefully).

Well, I take this with a grain of salt, sapodilla is listed cat 1 invasive (same level as sea hibiscus, which I feel is 100x worse than sheflerra).

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Hi Viking Guy,

I don't want to be mean or a hater on the java plum, but be careful.  :)   I dug out and dumped 3 java plums this weekend alone. The problem is real serious here.

http://kwbgs.org/resources/alternatives%20plant%20guide.pdf see pg 63, listed as cat 3 invasive (to be watched carefully).

Well, I take this with a grain of salt, sapodilla is listed cat 1 invasive (same level as sea hibiscus, which I feel is 100x worse than sheflerra).

Oh, I know.  The Ra-Jamun has that potential also; whereas Skeels does not.

That said, my Ra-Jamun is going to be strongly controlled in a pot, and will never be put in the ground.

I will work it to make enough harvest to appease my Indian friends who desire it, and maybe try some myself, but that'll be about it.  The remaining efforts will be used for getting scions or air layers to those wanting them.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
My understanding is that US considers that tree as invasive and it s illegal to bring seeds from outside and also sell seeds from US to US
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 12:55:05 AM »
My understanding is that US considers that tree as invasive and it s illegal to bring seeds from outside and also sell seeds from US to US

I think this is wrong. Can you supply a link? I read a bunch of stuff and all I could find was mention of ban in South Florida and invasiveness in Florida and Hawaii. But maybe I didn't use good search terms.
Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk