Author Topic: please help id mandarin variety  (Read 2705 times)

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
please help id mandarin variety
« on: June 21, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
I bought this tree last year but the variety name was missing:/ not sure if it will be ever possible to id the correct variety?

thank you for any guess

here are some pics of fruit:

Daniel

Axier

• Basque country Z10 (Cantabrian coast)
    • View Profile
Re: please help id mandarin variety
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 01:52:48 AM »
Can you see any colors on trunk and rootstock?
In Spain is very usual to paint citrus plants for identification, all nurseries use the same color codes.
If you tell me what colors have it, maybe I can tell you what variety it is.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
Thanks Axier!

Here is what I found on trunk...

Daniel

Axier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 04:01:45 AM »
Ok Daniel, according to colors, you have an Ortanique mandarin (tangor) grafted on Volkameriana.
Don't surprise for the rootstock, I know that nursery, in fact I have several orange plants from them. They frequently use Volkameriana and macrophylla when sell for retail nurseries, they consider those citrus like ornamental plants, and volkameriana produces green and vigorous plants, but not the best fruits.
The color codes for citrus is a governmental rule and it is mandatory in Spain, so all nurseries use the same codes. The identification is 100 % sure.

By the way, it is an excellent juice mandarin, you can fill a glass with just two mandarins and the juice is delicious.
Spanish Ortaniques are now in grocery stores and they are incredibly sweet.

It is a late mandarin, it needs a long season for ripening.

If you want to get the sweetest Ortaniques, I would graft on a better rootstock: Carrizo, C35, Poncirus Trifoliata, Flying Dragon.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:24:43 AM by Axier »

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:21:27 AM »
Wow thank you very much for complex report and mainly for the right identification! I was really hopeless and thinks that I will never find out the right variety.

Little disapointment for the rootstock Volkameriana, I have to say I have very little knowledge about the citrus rootstocks and their effects..
The tree is quite big and starting it again on new young rootstock (here we have lack of old rootstocks, comonly here are grafting done on  few years old poncius seedlings) is little frustating..
How bad is the rootstock? or better do you know how much is the taste declined by this type of rootstock?

thank you 
Daniel

Axier

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:45:13 AM »
There is a lot of information out there regarding citrus rootstocks.
Usually, volkameriana is used for lemons, mainly Eureka, because citranges, trifoliates and macrophylla are incompatible with it.
It is said that volkameriana produces fruits with less soluble solids than trifoliates, this is not a problem with lemons, but it is when it comes to mandarins and oranges.
In any case, the differences are not astronomic, you also can crop decent fruits with volkameriana.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »

Thank you

yes there is some info on web, but I found only that the fruit is inferior/poor quality on this rootstock so was wondering how bad it is..
I have asked as you have much more real experiences.. and it is more valuable then any website :)

there is one more thing I found about volkameriana, that it is not very cold tolerant. how much is this quote right?

from what I know the mandarins are more cold tolerant then lemons..   
Daniel

Axier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 04:05:53 AM »
Volkameriana -6º C  (21-F)
Manadarins -6º to -8º C (it depends on variety) (21 to 18-F)
Satsumas -10º C  (14-F)
Lemons -4º C (it depends on variety) (25-F)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:49:08 AM by Millet »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk