Author Topic: Mangoes in SoCal  (Read 24564 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes in SoCal
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Looking really AWESOME MangoFang!! Love all your mangos...coming along just fine! Soon you will be in Mango heaven  ;D

Thanks for the update! Great job btw!!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
Thanks, my friends - now who was it that asked about watering?

About 20-25 minutes PER DAY (I know that seems like a lot) but some of the other plants
on that water line are on sprinklers and drip and need the time to get a good soak.
 The Manila has a couple bubblers put on low. This time of year, they face a searing
105 or higher each day.  I have some of the younger mangos under some shade cloth.
The older plants seem to not mind  the heat at all - up to the 120's at least.

OH, and Bestday, the Rosie will ripen shortly after the Manilas ripen.....

FangSlurping

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »
Nice growing Mangofang  :) What kine of fertilizer do you use on your plants and how often?.....
Few pics of some nice mango trees around my street..My area is also loaded with mango,cherimoya trees and sapote trees.

close up....

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:24 AM »
Nice Ant - love the color on those - wonder what they are?

I use whatever I can find and lots of variety - steer manure, worm castings, kelp, compost,
regular liquid Miracle Gro - rotate the stuff around - so far no burning - I think the Miracle Gro
would have the highest potential for that, so I use it well diluted....I figure a varied diet, like
we have!

Oh, and even when a large goldfish dies I bury it under one of the trees.  Think I'm part Indian....
 >:(

Fang
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:11:01 AM by MangoFang »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
Fang, So you are looking at Manilla, then Rosigold, then Pickering and then MahaChanok Right?

You guys have inspired me to post some pics of my trees that have been in SoCal for a couple of months.  They aren't nearly as nice as your but maybe interesting to some.

Bill

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »
Fang, So you are looking at Manilla, then Rosigold, then Pickering and then MahaChanok Right?

You guys have inspired me to post some pics of my trees that have been in SoCal for a couple of months.  They aren't nearly as nice as your but maybe interesting to some.

Bill

Bill, I would like to see an update on your mangoes.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
Me TOO!

and yes, Bill, the order you have is approx. correct - and shove the Alphonso
towards the bottom of that list, too.  They still seem kinda green....

...so .....   we're waiting, Wilhelm...... :P

MangoBites

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
so, thismorning a snapped a few of the yard's producers - here ya go, Bestday:

My big Manila

The other side of Big Manny - see them starting to turn color?

Alphonso

Pickering

Rosigold

MahaChinok - a couple big bertha's....

Great job MangoDog!!! can't wait to evaluate your Manilas!

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
Alright a little update on my mango trees.  I have had these for almost two months now.  They are all in 15 gallon pots.

Dot, getting ready to flush.

Edward flowering.

Julie flowering.

Pickering, this was the first one to flower.

Rosigold flush.

Southern Blush flush.  This tree was pathetic looking when I got it from TT. 

Maha Chanok, getting ready to flower or flush?

I think all these plants internal clocks are messed up from the shipping and change in weather from Florida to Calilfornia.  I think this is what is causing the late season flowering.  I also read that dry weather can cause mangos to flower.  So the dry SoCal air is also making them flower.  I would really rather have them having growth flushes instead of flowering.  So my questing is on the trees that I think are big enough to hold fruit should I let them?  If I let one fruit hold on the Pickering will it mature before the winter stops it from maturing?  I don't want the plant to put 4-6 months of energy into a fruit only to have it stop ripening when winter hits and I have to remove it.  Any advice?  How long do these fruit take to mature in SoCal?

Bill

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
Bill,

Trees all look healthy. Julie mango I have is re-blooming right now.... I am thinking of just cutting off the flowers. What type of container soil mix are you using? Also have you thought about Fabric containers or Air pruning containers?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
Alright a little update on my mango trees.  I have had these for almost two months now.  They are all in 15 gallon pots.

Edward flowering.

I think all these plants internal clocks are messed up from the shipping and change in weather from Florida to Calilfornia.  I think this is what is causing the late season flowering.  I also read that dry weather can cause mangos to flower.  So the dry SoCal air is also making them flower.  I would really rather have them having growth flushes instead of flowering.  So my questing is on the trees that I think are big enough to hold fruit should I let them?  If I let one fruit hold on the Pickering will it mature before the winter stops it from maturing?  I don't want the plant to put 4-6 months of energy into a fruit only to have it stop ripening when winter hits and I have to remove it.  Any advice?  How long do these fruit take to mature in SoCal?

Bill

Mango trees do flaky things in pots unless you are actually growing them in pots....With proper potting mix and fertilizer etc.
For some fun remove the pot on one mango and see if it is root bound. This makes them bloom and do funny things

Once you plant them they will stabilize. The mango then does not feel confined. It can relax

Are you going to plant them? All or some? Pickering is precocious. Now you are seeing it first hand. Others know the best time to cut off the panicles. You could grow and get one fruit maybe. Even so it would not be so good. Next years will be better. If you have the discipline don't keep any Pickering. Let it spend resources on growth and rooting in
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:03:40 PM by zands »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
Zands - I think BestDay is going to have them fruit while in the pot so he can evaluate their taste, and
whether or not he will keep them, or certainly plant them in the ground.  I tried that this year with my Timotayo ....but I will say (BestDay) the fruit has like been on the plant about 3 months now and is a pathetic looking little green 2 1/2 incher and doesn't look very tasty right now, or even close to ripe, though it must be nearly full grown.  I was trying to do what you're doing (taste fruit in pot before planting) but the pathetic result may not give me what I was hoping for.

I think when you first get these Florida plants, they do suffer from growth (and jet) lag/confusion.
I remember mine flowering right away too, and NOT at the same time they are flowering now.... I've come to the conclusion that ALL my mangos flower at the same time - beginning late Feb., but mostly early March - but it is the length of time that fruit needs to mature that makes the season stretch out (
in my opinion and experience so far)

but back to the topic at hand - BD - you have a healthy variety of growing mangos so it appears you're doing things right with them.  You are down in Long Beach, yes?  Should be a great, marine-influenced climate for growing them....

GaryWoofie

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
BestDay-

If I had to start over again and knew what I know now I would NEVER let those mail order trees fruit in their first year or even their second year. Now, I said mail order trees because I bought 2 large 20 gallon mangos from Mimosa and 8 months later I was eating their fruits. I said this before and I'll say it again, Socal has a very marginal climate for mangos, were are NOT South Florida. If you don't believe me look at that guy Ant21 trees in the old GW archives from last year and compare them to how they look now, they have not grown much. MangoDog and I have run into the same problems with our young trees.....if you let them fruit now you will pay later. I don't understand MangoDog's logic about wanting to try the fruit first. If you want to that, buy yourself an airplane ticket to Miami for $300 it's cheaper than buying 10 trees at $125 a pop!

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
Bestday, JF is correct that is why none of my trees are holding on to fruits this year.I have taken out
all the fruits so I can get them to concentrating on growth.I have noticed that mango tree in So.Cal has 1 growth flush maybe 2 in a year.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »
Bestday, JF is correct that is why none of my trees are holding on to fruits this year.I have taken out
all the fruits so I can get them to concentrating on growth.I have noticed that mango tree in So.Cal has 1 growth flush maybe 2 in a year.

Best and Ant21

I'll qualify my statement by saying seedlings are the exception.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  My plan is to grow the trees in pots until I can taste the fruit and then plant them in the ground.  I have several reasons for this.  Peoples favorite fruits is a subjective opinion.  Until I taste the fruits I won't know what my favorites are.  I figure I can sell the trees that I don't like and recoup most of my money.  Secondly if a cold spell comes thru I can put my plants together and put a couple space heaters on them.  I afraid of planting small trees in the ground only to have them die.  The larger I can get the plants in pots the safer they will be in the ground.

I have all the trees in 15 gallon pots for now.  If I need to I can repot them into 24" pots or 45 gallon pots.  Do you guys think that 15 gallon pots are large enough?  Since the plants are going to be permanently kept in pots I planted them in half Kellogs palm mix and half Supersoil palm mix.

Mangodog and others, about how long does mango fruit take to mature in SoCal?  The two varieties I'm seriously thinking about letting hold one fruit is the Edward and Pickering.  The Edward is the largest of my trees so I figure it can handle it.  It is also an early variety so I figure I have the best chance of its fruit maturing before winter sets in.  How long do Edward and Pickering fruit take to mature in SoCal?

Nullzero, it's good to hear that your Julie is flushing for a second time this year.  That is one of the major reasons I wanted to try that type.  I was hoping that in SoCals dry weather the tree would fruit twice a year like it does in Jamaica.  Now you just have to see if it will hold the fruit and if the fruit will mature before winter sets in.

Bill

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
JF, I agree with you about not letting your mangos fruit.  However, it seems like every time I pluck all the mangos off, my mangos push out more panicles which is even more frustrating.  (I know we've talked about this in the past).  I guess that's the downside to grafted mangos and a very short growing season.

Greg   

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
JF, I agree with you about not letting your mangos fruit.  However, it seems like every time I pluck all the mangos off, my mangos push out more panicles which is even more frustrating.  (I know we've talked about this in the past).  I guess that's the downside to grafted mangos and a very short growing season.

Greg   

Greg

I understand. I've been fighting with my Carrie since January and I just keep pinching off the flowers. It finally gave up in May and it's now flushing.

BestDay

Edward ripened for me in late Aug and from the look of my Pickering, that's holding some fruits, about the same time.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
Greg, I believe most people recommend removing the fruit once they are nickle size.  If you remove the fruit earlier the tree will just flower again. 

JF, sounds like Pickering and Edward take about 6 months for the fruit to mature.  So I have a decision to make.  If my fruit on the Pickering and Edward get to nickle size I need to decide if I'm going to let them grow or remove them.  I'll have to wait and see.

Good growing to all.

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
Greg, I believe most people recommend removing the fruit once they are nickle size.  If you remove the fruit earlier the tree will just flower again. 

JF, sounds like Pickering and Edward take about 6 months for the fruit to mature.  So I have a decision to make.  If my fruit on the Pickering and Edward get to nickle size I need to decide if I'm going to let them grow or remove them.  I'll have to wait and see.

Good growing to all.

Bill

Bill, 6 months is about right. If you really want to taste the fruit just let it hold one but I don't see any fruitlets in your tress?? If you want them in 2 months they would have to be this size:

Pickering

Ataulfo

Manila

Lancetilla

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
Now I'm really jealous.  You will be eating well very soon.

It is too early to tell if my trees have any fruitlets.  Time will tell.

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
Now I'm really jealous.  You will be eating well very soon.

It is too early to tell if my trees have any fruitlets.  Time will tell.

Bill

I hope so Bill. This is an off year since I removed the majority of the flowers from my trees to promote growth. Next year if I have a nice crop I will share some with you.....this year MangoDog will bail me out.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:59 AM »
JF, nice looking trees you have there is that pickering in the pot if so what size?....How long had you have your pickering?...

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:51 AM »
I'm stuck in this predicament in which I desire to acquire a mango tree but can't decide which variety to get. I'm trying to avoid any trees by La Verne Nursery as I'm not too big on their high grafts. Don't want Manilla. The trees would be in 24'' containers.  I'm looking for varieties: Timotayo, Carrie, and Nam Doc Mai. I can't find either Nam Doc Mai nor Timtayo anywhere locally so I'm stuck getting a Carrie at the Mimosa nursery. It's tough getting any info about growing mangoes near a coast. Any one here have any info about growing mangoes near the Pacific coast?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
The Timotayo was developed and grown in Camarillo so definitely a coastal plant.  Mine was taken from the ground and put back in a pot due to some trouble it was having (plus I am out in the Palm Springs desert), so I can't advise you on anything with that plant other than what I just said.  Just make sure you get one that is anthracnose resistant as you don't want problems from all your humidity, Xeno.

Yes, I agree - you can do better than Manila - get a nice sweet fiberless one -

fangiliscious

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk