Author Topic: Shiranui Mandarin Available  (Read 23913 times)

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Shiranui Mandarin Available
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »
My experience with harris was very good. The shipping was top notch, and the Shiranui was large for what I paid. I'd say 3 ft.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
I see you used some links to Dan Willey's web page Fruitmentor.  Last week Dan was giving away 60 count boxes of various citrus varieties for another free tasting. I missed out as they were all gone by the time I responded.  Dan attended the Citrus Day event at UCR where the  CCPP donated to him enough fruit to make up 60 boxes .  Phil, it was also on his site where I also seen the good comments about the Akcay Seleri citrus, sound like a real winner.   - Millet

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »
I see you used some links to Dan Willey's web page Fruitmentor.  Last week Dan was giving away 60 count boxes of various citrus varieties for another free tasting. I missed out as they were all gone by the time I responded.  Dan attended the Citrus Day event at UCR where the  CCPP donated to him enough fruit to make up 60 boxes .  Phil, it was also on his site where I also seen the good comments about the Akcay Seleri citrus, sound like a real winner.   - Millet

I got my box from Dan today.   Looking forward to sampling.
- Rob

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 07:20:58 PM »
You had to be fast to get a box. email arrived 11pm and
early the next morning all were gone. Oh well he couldn't
ship to Texas anyway.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
You had to be fast to get a box. email arrived 11pm and
early the next morning all were gone. Oh well he couldn't
ship to Texas anyway.

Yeah, I happen to have my phone nearby when the email came in.  Responed and paid (for shipping) immediately.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

I got my box from Dan today.   Looking forward to sampling.

My screen left off the end of your sentence for some reason.  It should read:  'Looking forward to sampling with all my closest forum friends' right?  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 08:59:49 PM »
been wanting budwood of this but it's so hard to get any citrus wood shipped in here with all the restrictions  :-\

Does Arizona have a budwood program? If they do you can likely get what you want.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »
been wanting budwood of this but it's so hard to get any citrus wood shipped in here with all the restrictions  :-\

Does Arizona have a budwood program? If they do you can likely get what you want.

Not that I know of. Lots of restrictions here at the moment. The local rare fruit growers club aren't even allowed to exchange citrus scions in their events. The new, rare, sought after varieties aren't any where in town.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
I don't think any club allows citrus exchange in the states of FL, TX, AZ, CA. Basically all southern states suited to growing citrus.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »
Just had this for lunch.  It had 13 seeds.  I bit into one and the other was really small.  I've got another one at home. 

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
Here is the one I bit into. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
There is always the exception to the rule. - Millet

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »
I don't think any club allows citrus exchange in the states of FL, TX, AZ, CA. Basically all southern states suited to growing citrus.

No such restrictions in Texas. Texas just pretends to regulate citrus propagation.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
I sampled Sumo for the first time yesterday. purchased the fruit from "fresh Market" in Melbourne, Florida.  Its a callifornia grown fruit. It was really good.  Almost too sweet. 

I planted a Harris shiranui last year.  I'm hoping this fruit does well for us here in Florida.  I read on the wiki page that the fruit is allowed to ripen off the tree for 20 days. Really? 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
Central Floridave, yes after the Shranui (Dekopon) is picked the fruit ages for 20 days, but at what type of climatic conditions, humid, warm, cool, dark, light, moist or dry, I am not sure.   Whatever it is, it does not cause fruit dehydration during the 20 day ageing period.   I do know that for the fruit to reach it full sweetness, it has be be left hanging on the tree until approximately the end of February. - Millet 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
Central Floridave, yes after the Shranui (Dekopon) is picked the fruit ages for 20 days, but at what type of climatic conditions, humid, warm, cool, dark, light, moist or dry, I am not sure.   Whatever it is, it does not cause fruit dehydration during the 20 day ageing period.   I do know that for the fruit to reach it full sweetness, it has be be left hanging on the tree until approximately the end of February. - Millet

Millet - the timing, as with any fruit, will vary from year to year based on climate.  This year, the Florida Shiranui were in the market in early January and the California Sumos have been here since mid January. ..and they are damn good.
- Rob

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
Never aged a shiranui off the tree more than a couple days and only then for travel reasons. I usually leave mine on the tree until mid-march and bring them camping with me. I have them and some surprisingly sweet Centennial kumquats out on the kitchen table at camp and they are usually gone in the first couple days. The kumquats have been ripe on the tree now for a month or more, I guess the last winter burst of cold makes them sweeter.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm hoping my tree, one day, produces!   Its small now.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 06:25:14 PM »
Central Floridave about your small Shiranui tree, have you ever thought of enclosing the tree within a  screen cage, to keep the Asian psyllids from infecting the tree with greening disease? - Millet

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 04:31:11 PM »
No, haven't thought of doing that. Probably won't. Sounds like too much work and not very ornamental.   I have a bunch of tangerines and other citrus that produce pretty good. No sign of greening for me so far (knock on wood).  I'm on South Merritt island and am some what isolated and in a heavy wooded area.   I'm hoping I'm isolated enough for it not to happen. But, if it does, I'll just plant again.  I've lost citrus for a variety of reasons.  If greening happens it happens.   

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »
 8)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
Success!  What is the citrus on the left?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:11 PM »
Galka, you did it!  Let us know how the fruit taste.  Remember as a citrus tree ages the better the fruit bcomes.  Congratulations to you and your tree. - Millet

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »
Thank you Millet and Central Floridave. I will let it stay on the tree for a couple more weeks and then report the fruit taste. The orange on the left is a Blood orange.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »
Thank you Millet and Central Floridave. I will let it stay on the tree for a couple more weeks and then report the fruit taste. The orange on the left is a Blood orange.

Is that a Blood orange off your tree?  If so, please post a picture of the flesh when you cut it.
- Rob