Author Topic: Request to admins: Seeds photos - sticky.  (Read 11724 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Request to admins: Seeds photos - sticky.
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:34 PM »
My recommendation is to split that into two threads - seed only, and seedling only, simply because many members will not be able to post both at the same time, and the thread will be very difficult to follow and to search.
I also think it would be fun to do a 3rd thread on photos of various fruits and cultivars!

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 03:09:07 AM »
Hello everyone. I've ordered some jaboticaba seeds from eBay, and they have arrived yesterday. As the original poster of this thread, I have no way of confirming that these really are jaboticaba seeds. So I'll post a picture here in hopes that someone will be able to tell me if I've received genuine seeds or if I've been crossed. In case it's not clear from the picture, the biggest seeds in the bunch are about as big as grape seeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:31 AM »
Those are not jaboticaba seeds.
Oscar

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 03:46:50 AM »
Those are not jaboticaba seeds.

Thank you for the answer.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 04:06:39 AM »
So I ordered from another vendor and I got this. Do I have the real jaboticaba seeds this time?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 05:16:53 AM »
Strike out again. When preparing jaboticaba seeds I rub them with running water in a strainer to get as much flesh off as possible and then lightly dry them. When the remaining flesh becomes inert and dry and but seeds are not desiccated I put them in a bag with lightly moistened vermiculite.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 05:22:02 AM »
Strike out again. When preparing jaboticaba seeds I rub them with running water in a strainer to get as much flesh off as possible and then lightly dry them. When the remaining flesh becomes inert and dry and but seeds are not desiccated I put them in a bag with lightly moistened vermiculite.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're trying to tell me. Are these jaboticaba seeds or not?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
a seedling page would be very beneficial to me
i would also have lots of pics to contribute.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 03:17:52 AM »
Anyone? :( I'm running out of time to ask for a refund if these aren't jaboticaba seeds.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
Anyone? :( I'm running out of time to ask for a refund if these aren't jaboticaba seeds.

I interpreted "strike out again" as saying no they are not, since your first set got the answer not jabo.  He then proceeded to describe how he prepares seeds to give an idea of what you might see in well prepared seeds of jabo.

If I were you, on a clock and wish to seek a refund, I will initiate contact with the seller now.  Have the seller provide the assurance but make your intent clear.  In the mean time, follow this thread to see if anyone can confirm as bluntly as Oscar did with the other seeds.

Hope this helps.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
So I ordered from another vendor and I got this. Do I have the real jaboticaba seeds this time?

Hold on a second , I am just preparing some Jaboticaba seeds ( Plinia phitrantha ) for shipping , picked yesterday , to send to a friend . The picture you posted do not look like Jaboticaba . In my opinion jaboticaba seed should never be dried . For example I got over 300 seeds from Brazil ( 3 varieties ) only a 5% were viable , bad packing and long travel time .

Picture of 2 days old cleaned seeds in my next post .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to those photos luc. I've sent the seller a message, mentioning that I've asked some jaboticaba growers, and she responded by asking me to send her picture's of you guys' seeds. If anyone other than luc has some photos, I would be very thankful if you could post them here. Thanks again for your help.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to those photos luc. I've sent the seller a message, mentioning that I've asked some jaboticaba growers, and she responded by asking me to send her picture's of you guys' seeds. If anyone other than luc has some photos, I would be very thankful if you could post them here. Thanks again for your help.

Why would you buy from ebay when the are a number of trustworth/reputable members on this forum who sell jaboticaba seeds?  Check the buy/sell section...
- Rob

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »
Why would you buy from ebay when the are a number of trustworth/reputable members on this forum who sell jaboticaba seeds?  Check the buy/sell section...

Because the shipping prices on eBay are much better. It's is often free. On most other sites, the shipping to my country can be a couple of times more expensive than the price of the item itself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 07:29:06 AM »

Because the shipping prices on eBay are much better. It's is often free. On most other sites, the shipping to my country can be a couple of times more expensive than the price of the item itself.

Small price to pay for quality and trust.  Cheap isnt always good or the way to go.  Dont mean to be rude or obnoxious but if its a matter of what you can afford, then you shouldn't be indulging in the first place.

I have said this a number of times, would never order anything from ebay anymore.  It has become a joke site over recent years.
- Rob

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
Small price to pay for quality and trust.  Cheap isnt always good or the way to go.  Dont mean to be rude or obnoxious but if its a matter of what you can afford, then you shouldn't be indulging in the first place.

I have said this a number of times, would never order anything from ebay anymore.  It has become a joke site over recent years.

I also don't mean to be rude or obnoxious, but I'm looking for people to help me with identifying seeds, not to give me advice what I should or shouldn't do with my money or my life. A price that is small to you, a citizen of Florida USA where the average monthly salary is $3400 is not small to me, a resident of Montenegro where the average monthly salary is $560. Most of my eBay experience was positive, and when it was negative, I've gotten my money back. If you don't use it, that's fine. But for the rest of us who weren't so fortunate to have been born in a rich country, it will have to suffice.

Let's please avoid unnecessary discussions like this, the topic is seed identification.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:00:27 AM by nexxogen »

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »
Poor South African here with a currency thats almost 20 to the dollar and Ebay is filled with a lot of scammers but Iv gotten some really good species there too!

I try to biuy from legit sellers here but thats a rare birthday present to myself kind of thing. Ebay shipping prices are just res=ally attractive even worth the risk sometimes.

The more you empower yourself with knowledge the more use and bargains you can find on Ebay!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »

Here's the picture Nexxogen, needs just a little bit more cleaning ...then packed in slightly moist vermiculite and on his way....should arrive germinating ....

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Here's the picture Nexxogen, needs just a little bit more cleaning ...then packed in slightly moist vermiculite and on his way....should arrive germinating ....

Thank you so much luc! This is really helpful. I couldn't find any good pictures of jaboticaba seeds anywhere online.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
Jaboticaba seeds are irregular in shape and when you peel outer pulp they are purple colored. Your seeds are not jaboticaba. The photo Luc posted looks more like jaboticaba, but it a different species so a bit different than regular jaboticaba seeds.
Oscar

cerverg

• Manila
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 10:06:53 AM »
All seends from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan/Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia on Ebay/Aliexpress are fake. Don't buy them! You'll just waste your money