Author Topic: Cherimoya ID please?  (Read 2895 times)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Cherimoya ID please?
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »
I was hoping someone might be able to ID these for me. I'd been wanting to try some good California cherimoya for a while, since 1) I hear they're far superior to atemoya and 2) The only cherimoya I've tried (unknown var) was certainly good, sweet and with a sort of soft pineapple consistency, but not anywhere near head and shoulders above a Lisa or Dream.

This one had a bunch of the spikes broken off on the other side. Will that give it trouble ripening properly?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:13:09 PM by TheDom »
Dom

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya ID please?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:37:48 PM »
Its a little late to get real good Cherimoya from California.  December and January are prime months.

Where did you get those from?
- Rob

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »
Dec and Jan? Dang, I figured it was more now, going by when Goodland Organics and South Coast Organics websites have their seasons start. Anyhow, I got these here: http://www.localharvest.org/cherimoya-anonna-C27614
Dom

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »
Its a little late to get real good Cherimoya from California.  December and January are prime months.

Where did you get those from?

Rob

Not necessarily. Cherimoya varieties like mango have their season and the ones grown up north in Santa Barbara are usually a month or two behind san Diego and LA. In addition, I had late bloom on my Pierce in I'm eating the most rich exotic tasting piece you've ever had. Just ate a Rudy Lemon that was spectacular a hit of blood orange
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:11:51 PM by JF »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
Most of the later season varieties I have had have not been as good.  A lot like some early and late season mangoes.   Yes, taste is subjective but just giving my 2 pennies. ..and considering I have to buy my cherimoya,  my pennies mean more.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:51:50 PM »
Most of the later season varieties I have had have not been as good.  A lot like some early and late season mangoes.   Yes, taste is subjective but just giving my 2 pennies. ..and considering I have to buy my cherimoya,  my pennies mean more.

Of course Rob, they can get expensive and as you shipping them can be a nightmare

Dominic

My best guess would be Booth, calimoya and Carmela. They grow great cherimoyas in Ventura.....and yes, cherimoyas are not only head and shoulders above  atemoyas but any other fruits I've ever had

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 10:49:43 PM »
Thanks fellas. I cut up the one that was bruised all to hell, but it wasn't quite ripe. 34 seeds out of the deal though. Hooray rootstock, right?
Dom

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 01:20:28 AM »
Thanks fellas. I cut up the one that was bruised all to hell, but it wasn't quite ripe. 34 seeds out of the deal though. Hooray rootstock, right?
Dom

Cherimoyas are too difficult and expensive to ship cross country. I will not ship to the East Coast unless you want to send $50 Priority one day Express. Now, you see why cherimoya.com and other growers refuse to ship. Here is a pic of Pierce and Rudy Lemon I'll post pix when they ripen so you can see a perfectly ripe cherimoya

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:15:32 AM »
Is Pierce a late season variety? Mine seems to be early season and finished really early last year from the LA heat.

Are you going to the cherimoya growers' meeting next Saturday? I'm skipping this one since it's pretty far, between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and I need the time to do other things.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
I think this one might be getting close to ready:

Some of the others are starting to soften up with no sign of filth like this one. Silver lining: the price per seed for rootstock isn't terrible.
Dom

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »
I think this one might be getting close to ready:

Some of the others are starting to soften up with no sign of filth like this one. Silver lining: the price per seed for rootstock isn't terrible.

Mold exposure. I hope it does develop mold inside if you see black around the rim when you cut it open toss it.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »
Thanks Frank. No black inside, just a little softer close to the edge. I cut the moldy part and some good fruit area aroind it out and covered the remaining fruit in Saran wrap. I figure I'll give it the day to soften up a little, but don't have much hope for this particular fruit.
Dom

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 10:36:58 AM »
Thanks Frank. No black inside, just a little softer close to the edge. I cut the moldy part and some good fruit area aroind it out and covered the remaining fruit in Saran wrap. I figure I'll give it the day to soften up a little, but don't have much hope for this particular fruit.

too bad it might have been a hoynehart excellent fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk