Author Topic: Dog Digs Up Fruit Tree  (Read 8881 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Dog Digs Up Fruit Tree
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »
My dog has dug up this jackfruit tree twice.  Any recommendations on how to get him to stop?

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Dog Digs Up Fruit Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
How big of a dog?  I have a beagle so I just put a plastic mesh on the ground under the mulch with a few anchors to secure it in place.  I have a sapodilla that she was always breaking branches on, as if it didn't grow slowly enough, so I put 30 inch wire mesh fence around it.
Brandon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:30:09 AM »
I have 9 mango trees in a "danger zone" where my dogs spend a lot of time.  Not only do I have to protect them from digging, but I also have to protect them from full body slams of 100lbs of muscle.  My dogs wrestle in the area, an when they are going at it, they have disregard for heir surroundings...

I drive 3-4 5 foot steel sign posts into the rocky soil, and surround them with wire "fencing" of different sorts.  It's a lot of work, but I haven't lost a tree yet :)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Once I followed someone's garden tip, and mixed dry dog food in with the soil when I planted a muscadine vine. A few days later an armadillo dug it all up.  (my dogs ignored the kibble, on the other hand)
Later a gopher turtle dug it up again. The next year rabbits attacked it.           It's still alive, though.

Maybe that fabric that is supposed to prevent weeds?  Anchored down?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
Never had to do it, but I could pretty much guarantee that your dog isn't going to get through chickenwire if you anchor it around your tree under the mulch.  Just leave enough space that you won't strangle your tree.

I've never known anyone to do it for trees before, but I've known a number of people who swear by it for keeping animals from digging up their bulbs.

Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
My dog is a 60+ pound lab and has high energy.  I will consider the suggestions, thank you.  I have 40 fruit trees, so it would be a lot of effort to do it to all of them.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
Here's a nice pic of my setup a couple of years ago..

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
Wrap it up in chicken wire or a stronger type of wire. Lowes or Home Depot may carry cattle wire. $5-25 a roll. Or lay cardboard/newspaper near the trunk of the tree. Throw all of its poop on top of the cardboard. Your dog will most likely keep away.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
No joke: I urinate at the base of the plants. As far as I have seen, they do not dig where they smell my 'authority'  8)

...I know you are Mr. Clean, but keep in mind it's also an excellent natural fertilizer  ;)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
No joke: I urinate at the base of the plants. As far as I have seen, they do not dig where they smell my 'authority'  8)

...I know you are Mr. Clean, but keep in mind it's also an excellent natural fertilizer  ;)

Human piss is good for trees? :o ;D
Alexi

natsgarden123

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
That dog was supposed to chase away pesty animals... irony at work here... :(

My sister had the same problem-she sprayed the trees with the Bitter Apple no-chew stuff, made for housebreaking-within a week or two, the dogs left it all alone. .., sor

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
Human piss is good for trees? :o ;D

Actually yes, if you diluite it 1:10.
It is the cheapest nitrogen fertilizer you can think of.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »
I don't know, I'd be worried about salt buildup from using urine as fertilizer.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:30:37 PM »
It really depends on the frequency/quantity of your rain.
In a desert, i would avoid.
In Florida, i wouldn't expect any real issue (keeping things to a reasonable level, of course).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »
I think urine could be dangerous for plants in pots, but not for plants in ground if you apply once in a while.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 02:45:23 AM »
I don't know, I'd be worried about salt buildup from using urine as fertilizer.

Depends on what you are eating and size of the tree. If you are eating pretzels all the time, like Harry and friends then you could be right!  :o But even with a high salt diet you're not going to damage a large mature tree. A tiny plant just planted tree is not going to appreciate the liquid pretzels!  :'(
Urine = mostly urea, which is quite good for plants. There is no need to dilute it, can be applied directly to large trees.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:35:19 AM »
I don't have much problems with my dogs. The only problem is the chicken that luv to bath in ''fresh soil''. I just place shade net(1m x1m) around the plant...they just ignore it. 
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:53 AM »

Thanks.  I have the "supplies" to impliemenet this immediately, so I'll try it.
www.FLMangos.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »
They tend to avoid their own faeces. If the tree is young and you arent taking fruit from it, then you could place a few around the tree. My dogs used to dig up many plants as they love to eat poultry manure. A few of their droppings scattered around the base stops them from uprooting a newly planted tree.

Urine is said to build up acidity levels if applied directly too frequently. Supposed to be better applied diluted - as a seaweed tonic is best mixed in water and applied, rather than poured onto the soil, then watered in.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
BMc, I cannot confirm that. Rather the opposite: I've seen dogs eating other poo.. but urine ist the natural mark for dogs! They mark their territory with urine, so what I do is communicate in dogs language :) and it seems it really works ;D

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
A good deterent...boot in the rear when caught digging up a tree. 

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
dog could be grubbing,my dogs do simular stuff whem rainy season comes around and they smell those grubs. cayene pepper around the trees has worked fine for us,one good whiff and he wont dig there anymore.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »

Tony, first you have to catch them... LOL

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
Somebody loaned me some "x-pens" that stand up on there own and go around the young trees nicely.

I also use 2x4 PVC mesh with small t-posts along my berries. Both work well.

Check this info out too... digging is a natural behavior for dogs. You might want to create a designated area for it (make a sandbox or dirtbox, bury his favorite toys in it, let him have at it....)

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/digging.html

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Here's a nice pic of my setup a couple of years ago..

That looks good. But T-posts are a bit of overkill and much more expensive than using a few shorter pieces of rebar. I use 3 pieces of rebar inside hog wire cage. If you put the rebar on the inside of the cage there is no need to wire it, and you can easily remove the cage for weeding and fertilizing, or later for reusing the cage somewhere else. I use this setup for giving plants some protection and shade when small, but same will work for keeping dogs out. For keeping dog out you can use any kind of cheap wire, including chicken wire, probably cheapest. Might be good to give the dog a dog run area to do what he pleases. They need to get their ya yas out by digging and such.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »

I must admit that once my old german sheppard dug up a rather important tree and destroyed it. I held the dog in the hole and 'buried' her. Of course, it was a mock burial, but she didnt like it and seemingly got the message that digging holes was not nice as she never dug up a tree again.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »
My dog has dug up this jackfruit tree twice.  Any recommendations on how to get him to stop?

I have a sweetheart lychee and a 60+ pound dog that bowls everything over when we play fetch the stick. I added a circle of garden wall stones around it, problem solved.

Regards,

Gary

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »
I thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.  An update...I tried the urine technique.  It seems to work so far (2 days).  I used an empty bottle to collect a sample and then poured it on the trees.  It's been raining periodically...any idea how often I need to re-apply my "authority" to my trees to keep it properly marked, without killing the tree? 
www.FLMangos.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
I thank everyone for their suggestions and advice.  An update...I tried the urine technique.  It seems to work so far (2 days).  I used an empty bottle to collect a sample and then poured it on the trees.  It's been raining periodically...any idea how often I need to re-apply my "authority" to my trees to keep it properly marked, without killing the tree?

Will depend on how much it rains and how often? Anyway you don't need to apply the urine right next to the tree. You can make a circle around the tree away from its root system. Dogs have very keen olfactory systems and will definiteky pick up on it even after a light rain shower.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk