Author Topic: Emerald Mango  (Read 2234 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Emerald Mango
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »
A couple of years ago (2010, I believe) , the folks at Fairchild were listing the Emerald Mango as one of the curator's choice mangoes.  I bought a tree at that time.  It did not flower during the spring of its first year in the ground,  This past winter/spring brought about its first bloom. The tree is still small but it set 2 fruits.  I had been watching them like a hawk for weeks as they seemed to reach a soze and then stop growing.  Then, yesterday, my rounds found them on the ground having dropped from the trees apparently unassisted. They were over ripe and not in good condition.  The mango looked like this:

Very small mango.  About the size of Bombay.  Flavor seems to be similar to Bombay as best as I could tell from this over ripe sampling.  I am wondering if anyone has had this mango over on the Florida west coast.  It supposedly a selection from the Pine Island area that has been around for some time.  I would think it has been sampled by other forum members over the years.  I am most interested to know if the size that mine grew is representative of this mango.

Harry

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bulldawg

• View Profile
Re: Emerald Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
The ones I tried a couple years ago at williams grove were small and tasted very similar to bombay.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:01:38 AM »
Anybody know if they are freestone like a Bombay ?
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:01 AM »
The ones I tried a couple years ago at williams grove were small and tasted very similar to bombay.

That was my impression as well.  How large were the fruits you tired in comparison to Bombay?

Anybody know if they are freestone like a Bombay ?

Mine did not seem to be freestone.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »
Harry,I have 2 trees in ground,one fruited well this year while the other did not,the mangoes look exactly like yours,in fact i am not very impressed,in fact I am seriously thinking of taking at least one of the trees out and replacing with another cultivar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk