Author Topic: Help! Lychee tree not growing new leaves  (Read 3492 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Help! Lychee tree not growing new leaves
« on: May 14, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »
My lychee tree is not growing any new leaves despite being in the round for a while. Does anyone have a solution to this problem

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Lychee tree not growing new leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:37:16 PM »
Can you post a picture of your tree? Also, can you give the background of this tree and how you take care of it? How often do you water, what do you fertilize with? Is it in full sun? We're the roots encircling the pot when you put it into the ground and what type of soil do you have?

Simon

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:20:32 AM »
I water it deeply once a week, it has a few cedar trees as a windbreak, I fertilize it in March,April,May, and September, The Landscaper thought it was a brilliant idea to plant it near some decomposed granite! I believe i use an organic mix bought locally, I also put some slow release nitrogen fertilizer, and due to my time i cannot send you a photo. it was not root-bound when i bought it. The original soil is clay, while it guts at least 8 hours of sun

EDIT: The variety is Hak Ip, or Taiwan Black leaf
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:05:27 PM by AnnonaMangoLord45 »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:39:44 AM »

If it was my tree...I would water it every other day. Lychee trees really love water. One fruit trees that can't seem to get enough. I think once a week is not enough IMHO. Water it every other day (not necessarily deep watering) but make sure its enough to get all the way down to the root zone...best of luck!!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »
When Lychees are small, they are very slow to grow, especially anything other than Mauritius and Brewster, these two perform better in our SoCal soil. It would be ideal to send in a sample of your soil for analysis to see what you have and lack. Mulch heavily and try to water with rain, RO, pond or filtered water, Lychees hate city water. For small plants, you have to optimize growth during our short growing period, larger trees can have multiple flushes throughout the year but smaller trees tend to have only one or two flushes in the heat of summer.

If your trees leaves are yellow, it may need additional iron but it could be any number of issues so again, a soil analysis is best. You can get your soil analysis through http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/support/crops/

Simon

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
agree with simon...water often but not too deeply....if it's an air layered tree then root system is only about 2ft deep.   Don't over fertilize and mulch helps a ton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk