Author Topic: First Flowering of Crown Apple (Bellucia grossularoides)  (Read 1382 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
First Flowering of Crown Apple (Bellucia grossularoides)
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:39 AM »

The fruits haven't fully formed yet. I had some in Ecuador. They tasted a bit like fig. Here is a photo i took in Ecuador of the fruits:

Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: First Flowering of Crown Apple (Bellucia grossularoides)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »
Thanks for posting, Oscar.  Those always sounded interesting on Jim's site.  Does the fruit also have small edible seeds, like fig?  How large are those flowers?  They seem pretty showy looking but size is difficult to judge.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »
Thanks for posting, Oscar.  Those always sounded interesting on Jim's site.  Does the fruit also have small edible seeds, like fig?  How large are those flowers?  They seem pretty showy looking but size is difficult to judge.

John
The seeds are very tiny, kind of like ohelo berry (Vaccinium reticulatum) seeds, or Jamaican cherry (Muntingia calabura) seeds. This makes starting them from seeds a bit challenging. The flowers are very showy and large, around 1.5 to 2 inches across. You can't see it on my photo, but flower buds are intense pink, and back of flower petals are pink. The whole plant is very graceful and ornamental.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:44:55 AM »
Here is a flower with some scale. Also you can see back sides of petals which are pink, and fruits just starting to form.

Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk