Author Topic: determining the ripeness of (Annona) fruit by purcussing  (Read 1438 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
determining the ripeness of (Annona) fruit by purcussing
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
sometimes it can be difficult to determine when to harvest certain fruits (in my case guanabana)

in short, I have found that you can tell when certain fruits are ripe by percussing them with your finger.

gently tap the fruit, and you will hear a hollow sound...the same as you would with a watermelon.  I suppose the moisture in a ripe fruit allows the vibrations to reverberate a little bit, as opposed to when the fruit is still green, the dry unripe pulp will not allow for such a sound.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Re: determining the ripeness of (Annona) fruit by purcussing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
Here some people (me included) use a similar technique; gently hit the fruit the fruit a few times with your hand, and then shake it, if you can hear the sound of the seeds moving inside, you can pick it, and it will be ready in 3 to 5 days.
Fruits harvested that way, are usualy sweeter than the ones picked already ripe from the tree.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: determining the ripeness of (Annona) fruit by purcussing
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:21:08 AM »
Interesting   I hadn't compared sweetness of tree ripened versus mature-picked fruits.

I have usually gone by appearance-- spreading carpels, slightest yellowing.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk