Author Topic: Best tasting Mangos of 2016  (Read 22583 times)

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Mangos of 2016
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »
It's not my best tasting mango, but 2016 has been the best year so far for my Nam Doc Mai. Has anyone else noticed their FL Nam Doc Mai's are extremely sweet this year? Mine taste like candy-off the charts sweet.
yup, the NDM's I have tasted locally from several different sources and at various degrees of ripeness including my tree have been off the charts fantastic ...

I agree with both of you. Good NDMs this year. Above good!! So good that a squirrel chomped into a colorful, dead ripe NDM. I washed it off with the garden hose and will eat later

That's right. Don't let it go to waste or the fluffy-tailed fruit rats win. I have some great cages for my mangoes. I can't cover them all, but I can protect those in the most vulnerable spots.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 03:59:43 PM »
Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.

My Pickering have actually been very good, brix over 20.
The last of my Pickerings are as sweet as honey with a pronounced coconut flavor.  Six-ft. tree produced 66 mangos.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »
That's right. Don't let it go to waste or the fluffy-tailed fruit rats win. I have some great cages for my mangoes. I can't cover them all, but I can protect those in the most vulnerable spots.

Good NDM protection! You do what you can and protect what you can. I am sure those fruit cages demoralized a few squirrels and they moved on...to the neighbors two lots down.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:25:53 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.

My Pickering have actually been very good, brix over 20.
The last of my Pickerings are as sweet as honey with a pronounced coconut flavor.  Six-ft. tree produced 66 mangos.

I got half that from a similar size tree...still have a few hanging on it. They were good but not exceptional. A 6.5 out of 10. But Pickering produces every year. A solid producer that can be kept small with good pruning practices. I had a good Pickering yield last year, the year before that and so on.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:44:24 PM by zands »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »
Most of the mangoes I've tried have been consistently good, but Ice Cream mango was the stand out this season. Very sweet and reminded me of eating flan but with a tropical flavor. Imam Pasand was the runner up thus far being sweet and lemony with a piney after taste. Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.

Not that I am a super fan of them but wondering if you have been harvesting at right time and letting them to fully ripen after harvest.  The ones I have tasted have been super sweet (yet still a Pickering).

I counter top ripen the Pickerings after picking when they give in a little using the light squeeze test. Maybe 2-3 days after picking they are eaten. Brix in the 16s.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
Most of the mangoes I've tried have been consistently good, but Ice Cream mango was the stand out this season. Very sweet and reminded me of eating flan but with a tropical flavor. Imam Pasand was the runner up thus far being sweet and lemony with a piney after taste. Pickering has been a disappointment for the second straight season with early rainy weather.

Not that I am a super fan of them but wondering if you have been harvesting at right time and letting them to fully ripen after harvest.  The ones I have tasted have been super sweet (yet still a Pickering).

I counter top ripen the Pickerings after picking when they give in a little using the light squeeze test. Maybe 2-3 days after picking they are eaten. Brix in the 16s.

I have a feeling you may not be letting get ripe enough.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
Few consistent tasting mangoes this year.  PPK was the most on its usual mark. Most LZ were subprime but the good were great.  CC was great.  Mario a pleasant surprise.  Gary was tidy.  Juliette was another pleasant surprise.  Guava was delicious. Edward seemed better than ever. Graham was delectable. Dupuis was not its usual self but still good.

1. PPK
2. Lemon zest
3. Coconut cream
4. Mario
5. Gary
6. Juliette
7. Guava
8. Edward
9. Graham
10. Dupuis

Honourble mention
Nam doc Mai
Dot
27-18
Maha Chanok

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
Gary was tidy?  All the Gary I have had this year were its usual off the chart.

LZs picked properly have been excellent.  The Pineapple Pleasure have been sweeter this year, more overpowering tbe acidic component.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »
It's amazing how much variance I'm seeing and hearing about the quality of mangos. From year to year, tree to tree, early or late fruit, how much or how little rain there was, fertilizer regime, etc....

Consistency of quality is one additional consideration to factor in when trying to decide which variety of mango to plant, at least in my yard.

Great reviews so far, let's see how preferences change as the season continues.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »
It's amazing how much variance I'm seeing and hearing about the quality of mangos. From year to year, tree to tree, early or late fruit, how much or how little rain there was, fertilizer regime, etc....

Consistency of quality is one additional consideration to factor in when trying to decide which variety of mango to plant, at least in my yard.

Great reviews so far, let's see how preferences change as the season continues.

Simon

That is a given.  Age of trees, location (soil makeup, climate), care, when harvested amongst other things will all play a role in mango quality.
- Rob

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
Few consistent tasting mangoes this year.  PPK was the most on its usual mark. Most LZ were subprime but the good were great.  CC was great.  Mario a pleasant surprise.  Gary was tidy.  Juliette was another pleasant surprise.  Guava was delicious. Edward seemed better than ever. Graham was delectable. Dupuis was not its usual self but still good.

1. PPK
2. Lemon zest
3. Coconut cream
4. Mario
5. Gary
6. Juliette
7. Guava
8. Edward
9. Graham
10. Dupuis

Honourble mention
Nam doc Mai
Dot
27-18
Maha Chanok

Good List! Where is Future's mango feast this year?!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »

1. PPK
2. Lemon zest
3. Coconut cream
4. Mario
5. Gary
6. Juliette
7. Guava
8. Edward
9. Graham
10. Dupuis

Honourble mention
Nam doc Mai
Dot
27-18
Maha Chanok

I heard Future might be in La Habra in September :)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
It's not my best tasting mango, but 2016 has been the best year so far for my Nam Doc Mai. Has anyone else noticed their FL Nam Doc Mai's are extremely sweet this year? Mine taste like candy-off the charts sweet.
yup, the NDM's I have tasted locally from several different sources and at various degrees of ripeness including my tree have been off the charts fantastic ...

I agree with both of you. Good NDMs this year. Above good!! So good that a squirrel chomped into a colorful, dead ripe NDM. I washed it off with the garden hose and will eat later

Nice cages :D. I myself have started using cages for about 2 years now. Anything more than 1/4 inch mesh, the fruit will get damaged in my neck of the woods by squirrels and rats.

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »
Lemon Zest is the winner again

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »

1. PPK
2. Lemon zest
3. Coconut cream
4. Mario
5. Gary
6. Juliette
7. Guava
8. Edward
9. Graham
10. Dupuis

Honourble mention
Nam doc Mai
Dot
27-18
Maha Chanok

I did the feast but was otherwise too busy to blog.  For those who want to know, here is what has been smashed (I.e. Enjoyed) in Florida...so far

Mario
Diamond
Coconut cream
Florigon
Haden
Rosigold
Philippine
PPK
Southern blush
Gao Lim Krong
Maha Chanok
Edward
Langra Benarsi
Lily
Si Siam
Duncan
Carrie
Hindi Bessenara
J12
Baptiste
Carabao
Ah ping
Edgar
Pickering
Fernandin
Spirit of 76
Fruit punch
Dupuis
Maha Chanok
Lemon zest
Nam doc Mai
Graham
Bombay
Dot
27-18
Hindi Bessenara
E4
Bailey's marvel
Fairchild
Ice cream
Elephant tusk
Cushman
Fruit punch
Gary
Guava
Pram Kai Mea
Hims Sagar
Juliette

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »

LZs picked properly have been excellent.  The Pineapple Pleasure have been sweeter this year, more overpowering tbe acidic component.

Tidy is perhaps local vernacular to say all is in place. Which for Gary, is great.  Mine were a bit scabby but otherwise ok.  85% of their prime in taste.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
My favorites so far this year from mangoes I have tried have been in no particular order:

Harvest Moon
CC
LZ
ZINC (taste much like taralay to me!!)
Providence
PP was much better this year from last years (probably gave it a better chance to ripen)
Gary
Maha

Heading back this week to Zills to see what they have available, hoping for more Mahas and PPs.  Have OS at home that should be ready next day or so.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »
In order (caveat: Maha's, Kents, Alphonsos, Grahams, Keitts still need to come in).

1st place: Sweet Tart. Fantastic mango. Loved it.
2nd place: all tied, all excellent, all top tier: Dot, Mallika, Pickering, Spirit of '76, Edward
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
Oh.  And Cushman was in top form also.  Big.   Juicy.  Tasty.

Juicy Peach not far behind.

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2016, 11:49:27 PM »

Tidy is perhaps local vernacular to say all is in place. Which for Gary, is great.  Mine were a bit scabby but otherwise ok.  85% of their prime in taste.

Our loss with the lack of blogging 😃 how did j-12 compare to the heavyweights?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 12:11:57 AM »

Eric, I think J12 does well with the big boys. It didn't break my top ten but I really liked the fruit. It's better than Julie and as good as Juliette

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 09:45:19 AM »

Thanks EJO8!  My J12s were over ripe so I could not fairly assess them.  Will scour around and see if any more are to be had...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
J12, or Fairchild Ruby, is very colorful, a brilliant red color, however if you are not a fan of Julie, you most likely will not be a fan of Fairchild Ruby.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 05:33:52 PM »
I had my first Julie this year. Count me as a fan.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 08:12:47 PM »
I've had about 20 varieties this year; I've lost track.

Some of the better ones:

White Pirie (courtesy of Squam)  This was the mango of my childhood; excellent taste.
Carrie - tastes like a Carrie.
Ugly Betty - first year it bore fruit.  Tastes like a Carrie. 
Sunrise - pretty orange/yellow and tastes great.
Coconut Cream - when properly ripened, tastes like coconut cream pie.
Sweet Tart
Angie
Pickering (creamy texture and taste when fully ripened)
Spirit of 76 - when you get tired of other mangoes; it has a different taste.
Glenn (sweet, mild flavor; excellent to begin the start of mango season)
Dupuis Saigon
Fairchild
Nam Doc Mai
Cogshall
Rosigold

I've adopted the Dr. Crane philosophy that my favorite mango is the one in my hand.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk