Author Topic: Is Cacao Possible in SoCal  (Read 17391 times)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
Is Cacao Possible in SoCal
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
Hi, I saw a nursery up in EL Monte had some Cacao trees that were doing pretty well outside, I live in Zone 10b with some coastal winds coming in.

Thank You

Stan

Re: Is Cacao Possible in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
I know from growing them in a greenhouse they are tough plants. Not delicate. But outside all year? I would have to see that. I mean you never know- I saw a photo of a Mahogany tree growing in Arizona someplace on the net.This GW is just doing crazy things to California too. Mid SF bay waters are 73F.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:16:57 PM by Stan »

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »
I had one potted Cacao survive most of the winter in my rooftop garden in Berkeley (low this winter was 39 F, but only briefly for one night) but it eventually croaked in a later winter storm when there was too much wind.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
You do realize Cacao is an understory tree of tropical rainforests?  In addition to the aforementioned conditions (even in SFla we are borderline with the occasional cold winter blasts), they need the high humidity, tropical rains and rich organic matter type soli found in rainforest settings. 

GW garbage, don't even try to support the fact that any part of Cali is changing to adapt to these conditions.  Have you checked your humidity levels lately?  Rain?  Protection from wind (and providing at minimum partial or understory shade with tropical conditions)?
- Rob

Stan

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:44:55 PM »
You do realize Cacao is an understory tree of tropical rainforests?  In addition to the aforementioned conditions (even in SFla we are borderline with the occasional cold winter blasts), they need the high humidity, tropical rains and rich organic matter type soli found in rainforest settings. 

GW garbage, don't even try to support the fact that any part of Cali is changing to adapt to these conditions.  Have you checked your humidity levels lately?  Rain?  Protection from wind (and providing at minimum partial or understory shade with tropical conditions)?

You're an expert in Arizona AND California? - wow- Who knows what people do to grow something?..could be a covered patio. You read they were growing at a nursery in El Monte?  He made that up?  I know who your voting for Rob. Hitler!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

You're an expert in Arizona AND California? - wow- Who knows what people do to grow something?..could be a covered patio. You read they were growing at a nursery in El Monte?  He made that up?  I know who your voting for Rob. Hitler!

Every post that comes out of your mouth is pure garbage.  You think you know everything in your TROPICAL part of California, and other parts of California.  You do realize what a fool you sound like with just about every post you make...of course you do, you must enjoy it also, why else would you continue to post the crap you do.

Yes, I saw a post said a nursery in El Monte was "growing" cacao...and no, I don't believe everything that people say.  You are stupid if you do, well, hmmmm.  Growing and fruiting are not the same.  In comparison, there are Durian growing in various places in South Florida.  Does that mean they will survive or EVER fruit.  I suppose you know the answer to that.  Hmmm...with your way of thinking, maybe California will be the first place in the Continental US that fruits durian.  You should give it a try, I suggest in a pot on your porch...that should do the trick.
- Rob

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
Wow, this is the most serious beef on this forum since the Mangifera debate lol. Clearly this isn't a big deal, you both are blowing this out of proportion.

Stan

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
He didn't ask does it fruit? He said he saw it growing outside. I notice you and the other guy who I KNOW what he wants his void filled with ;D ;) seem to not read all the posts.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 06:23:47 PM »
Wow, this is the most serious beef on this forum since the Mangifera debate lol. Clearly this isn't a big deal, you both are blowing this out of proportion.

Who started with calling who garbage? Took it serious? Cacao? I grew it. Had it fruit and planted the seeds too. I think it was the largest potted Theobroma west of the Mississippi in 2002.
Look,they just want to be contrarians like little boys to everything I say- anybody can see that.  I post what I think as possible or from direct experience. I contribute.

akanonui

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 06:35:58 PM »
Though that may be true, it's still seems like tensions are high on both sides. Yes bullie did start it, and that may be where he gets his name from, but no need to continue it.

Stan

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »
Though that may be true,      " Yes bullie did start it",

Bada- bing. Live by being a bullie...

Hey,I encourage people to grow things.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:40:48 PM by Stan »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
  I know who your voting for Rob. Hitler!

LOL, even D. Trump made appearance in this thread!  ;D

Thread starter probably omitted that tree in question is likely kept in a giant pot. That means being brought into inclose during cold spells.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »

Lol this guy schizoid it was 64F three week ago in SF and freezing. I'm going to repeated again SF has the lowest summer temps in the USA

Stan

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »

JF  -... it was 64F three week ago in SF and freezing. I'm going to repeated again SF has the lowest summer temps in the USA

:o You are deranged my man! LOL...I don't live in San Francisco.  You two don't get anything right!..what kind of experts are you?   ;D   

btw? Its 92f in Hayward right now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:28:08 PM by Stan »

Stan

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
  I know who your voting for Rob. Hitler!

LOL, even D. Trump made appearance in this thread!  ;D

Thread starter probably omitted that tree in question is likely kept in a giant pot. That means being brought into inclose during cold spells.
Yeah probably..but just waiting for the OP to fill in details.

akanonui

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »

JF  -... it was 64F three week ago in SF and freezing. I'm going to repeated again SF has the lowest summer temps in the USA

:o You are deranged my man! LOL...I don't live in San Francisco.  You two don't get anything right!..what kind of experts are you?   ;D   

It was 98f in Michigan last week, that doesn't show anything about winter lol

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
Did I really cause this much controversy over just a question!? Really?

I just saw a few saplings that didn't mind partial shade and I was wondering about the cold tolerance, and I wanted some first hand experience from growers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:35:41 PM by AnnonaMangoLord45 »

Stan

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »

Well since you wanted me to volunteer to let bullie bullie me...what has Michigan in winter got to do with JF not being able to read Hayward Ca is not San Francisco Ca? How is it he brags of the "magical" soucal strip while being a total dope on bay area weather as all San Francisco?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
Did I really cause this much controversy over just a question!? Really?

I just saw a few saplings that didn't mind partial shade and I was wondering about the cold tolerance, and I wanted some first hand experience from growers.

My advice - try growing it. Then report back to all with your experience

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »
thanks!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »

Well since you wanted me to volunteer to let bullie bullie me...what has Michigan in winter got to do with JF not being able to read Hayward Ca is not San Francisco Ca? How is it he brags of the "magical" soucal strip while being a total dope on bay area weather as all San Francisco?
Stanley
You have zero credibility .....

Stan

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »

Stanley
You have zero credibility .....

I don't brag about myself like you. But,I have managed a collection for a University and also did the same for Aquatic exhibits at the Oakland Museum.
I also can read San Francisco is not Hayward and that what you know about outside of El Haber is near nothing. I did make the SF Chronicle for my mango feats.  Has anybody here in California grown a pod making Theobroma? TF? YOU?..sure.
Credibility TF? WHO the hell are you? I wouldn't believe a word from a man who bashed Aultalfo as trash here,and yet 2 years ago on the garden web he NOW also bashes,was giddy that not only did he get an Aultalfo- but he was giddy it was many!. Talk about schizo!
You don't like my opinions? free free to ignore me. lol. Ignore all you want!
Your taste? I can see its you and the good old boys learning what EACH other likes and pushing that..not what the general public does in taste tests.

akanonui

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »

Sorry if that came off rude, that wasn't my intention. What are your winter temps anyway? What kind of in ground plants can you grow and fruit? I am genuinely curious despite the other members arguing about your credibility.

Stan

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »
Our winters in the bay area range. Mine is 10a,lows each year near 32f,but not under 30 in general. SF is 10b,but I guess I don't need to explain the SF summers. Yet- people would be shocked at what can grow there from the subtropics. Some low spots in the bay area are 9b..pretty rare for close to the bay.
Me?  I have a very small lot,and as you can see,my plant interests cross the whole spectrum. Still,I have a 30 year old Suebelle Sapote I planted,Meyers Lemon,Bailys Marvel Mango,and that Ice Cream banana- with banana's on it now. In the past I've grown Cherimoya to fruiting from the exclusive regions of Safeway market ;) Avocado's to huge fruit from a pit. Something killed that and the guys across the street. I miss that tree. Big creamy fruit...like little cannonballs I used to say.
I know others have grown Pineapple outdoors in Hayward. Read it in the paper. I have coffee too.

I have met these types before. A decade ago the owner of a local cloudforest website and soucalian posters!..told me Bizmarckia palms could NEVER grow in the bay area..just too-too cold. Well,I proved them wrong. I grew one and have taken pictures of them around over my city and area. He wanted to ban me from saying people should try Mangoes..as I said my Manila made the SF Chronicle.  Now? I read he's encouraging people to try them..lol Un freakin believable. I think Barath and Myrna are also in the Mango club now :D

I have a real background in natural sciences and Biological sciences..anybody else here ever grew Arabadopsis for a bio lab? I did..lol. A ugly weed..but important!
So,that's the short list. I would rather brag about my cat.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:34:48 PM by Stan »

akanonui

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 10:59:09 PM »
That is very interesting. I actually can't see why they are arguing with you since the USDA zone map shows that you are correct. I still think cacao might be a plant that would be HARD but not IMPOSSIBLE to grow in the Bay Area, but in SoCal I thought I saw a tiny stretch of zone 11, so maybe it could survive outdoors there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk