Author Topic: Annona pot culture, recommendations  (Read 7205 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Annona pot culture, recommendations
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
I know there's a lot of annona info on this board, but just have a quick specific question(s)....have a couple spots on my walkway from the street to the house that were being held by some potted citrus ...I'm still very new to Annonas so wanted to know about some good options, if any, that can do well in our S. Fl climate and stay potted indefinitely....

Something that can remain smallish and easy to manage, and it would be cool to have a less common variety.

Productivity is a bonus only,  not too fussed ..if I can get a couple fruit in a reasonable time would be good enough.

Thoughts?

Thanks
always longing for a JA Julie

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Annona pot culture, recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
sugar apple seem to be the least vigorous of the popular annonas.
I'd go for a Big Red.

Also i believe they should have a fast draining soil too

Adam has a good bit of annonas in pots so before you make any decisions consult him.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »
Sugar apples are just as fast growing as Atemoya and Rollina.  Maybe, and I mean MAYBE, an Ilama would be a tad slower.  In any event, you could grow them in a pot, and you would need a bigger pot rather quickly, for short term but they would truly need to go into the ground sooner than later.  Its not just the growth factor but the health if the tree that would be an issue.
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
Sugar apples are just as fast growing as Atemoya and Rollina.  Maybe, and I mean MAYBE, an Ilama would be a tad slower.  In any event, you could grow them in a pot, and you would need a bigger pot rather quickly, for short term but they would truly need to go into the ground sooner than later.  Its not just the growth factor but the health if the tree that would be an issue.
sounds like you wouldn't recommend it then  Rob. Not gonna do anymore citrus again, so I think I'll just place some flowers there instead.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
Sugar apples are just as fast growing as Atemoya and Rollina.

My rollinia and/or sugar apples must be different from yours:
April or May 2015:

July 2016:

Perspective on these may be tough, but this rollinia was about 5' tall in the first pic, and is easily 10' currently.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:04:42 PM by TheDom »
Dom

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
Nice looking tree

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
Thanks skhan!

I agree with Rob that annonas aren't really suited to long term container culture, though you might get away with it doing a hydroponic approach. I remember a pic from a thread a while back where some guy had a custard apple in like a 1 or 3gal pot that was every bit of 6' tall and looked healthy as could be. He claimed it was on a regular hydroponic nutrients solution, though he certainly could have been pulling our legs with pics of a tree that had grown through the pot into the ground.
Dom

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
If you are looking for a good container growing option, you might give jaboticaba a shot. Generally slow growing and can be kept in pots for what seems like an indefinite amount of time.
John

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:05 AM »
Here's that thread I mentioned earlier, looks like it was a custard apple in a 3gal pot, and it doesn't look like it was growing into the ground the best I can tell. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=14385.msg194694#msg194694
Dom

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »
Thanks for the info all..

On a slightly related note...where in South Florida can I get Sugar Apples and other Annonas (besides soursop) to purchase?
The couple famer's markets and nurseries  I check hardly ever have and when they do they go extremely quick...

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
If you're up for the drive to the west coast there's a vietnamese guy named Jimmy Bui who has a couple acres of chewy sugar apples. He usually sells them for $5/lb. Here's his Facebook page, the phone number on it is good, but keep in mind his english isn't awesome. I called him yesterday and he said it will probably be a few weeks before he has much ready. https://m.facebook.com/Vuon-Trai-Cay-La-Vang-747876128607940/?tsid=0.7922978602306006&source=typeahead
Dom

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
Ive got A.reticulata and A squamosa growing in pot...they have 2 years ago from seed...A Squamosa flowering last years but lose the small fruit,..but are species that can grow in pot ...I pplied 10-10-10 every month ...water ...irrigation:2 times by week..Porous substratumwith good drainage.

I wanna know anybody fruiting cherimoya in pot??

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
By the way I found these at whole foods farmers market today...what are these, and is the dark one ready to eat (it has some give)?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »
Those are cherimoya, no clue what variety. They're ripe when soft, a little softer than a mango.

By the way I found these at whole foods farmers market today...what are these, and is the dark one ready to eat (it has some give)?

Dom

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
I am sure Excaliber has them but that and Pine Island are the only two south FL nurseries I know off hand. Be very surprised if they didn't. There are a few nurseries up here in Central FL that regularly stock them. In South FL you should be up to your ears in nurseries that carry them regularly.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 01:27:22 PM »
Called both this week ..neither have in any large or reliable supply. .they have a few sometimes and they are gone quick.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 03:22:32 AM »
Do Annona species not respond well to root pruning?
Very vigorous trees are dwarfed or made bonsai in tiny pots with pruning, training and root pruning with excellent long term health. Surely this would be possible with sugar apple in a 100litre or bigger pot?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »
I have fruited sugar apples in 7 gallon or smaller. Fruit scapes has atemoya and sugar apples with fruit in 25 gallons every year.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
Steve at Fruitscapes told me once he had a Spain cherimoya hold fruit to maturity in a 7gal pot.
Dom

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
I have seen jackfruit produce fruit in a 7 gsl on more than one occasion but the trees were not in great health and not recommended.

Sure, you could go through all the flames and hoops and grow in a large pot, 45 gal and up, that will eventually become a chore, but is it really worth it?  For a sugsr apple (lowest on the rung of the common annonas)?  To each their own, I suppose...
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »
In my opinion and experience, Annona squamosa is the best candidate for container culture, of all the common Annonas that I've grown.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 05:57:27 PM »
Ive got A.reticulata and A squamosa growing in pot...they have 2 years ago from seed...A Squamosa flowering last years but lose the small fruit,..but are species that can grow in pot ...I pplied 10-10-10 every month ...water ...irrigation:2 times by week..Porous substratumwith good drainage.

I wanna know anybody fruiting cherimoya in pot??

I have cherimoya once get to fruit in the pot, but fruit was very small. But I have several times fruits from A. muricata which I grow in 15 gal pot.

AndyNZ

• Do you have seeds of Mango 'Gomera 1' ?
    • New Zealand, Far North, Zone 10b (frost free)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »
Kia ora Jani

I have success in growing all sorts of trees and shrubs in pots for the last 6 years now.
And almost all of my pot plants are productive.
The usually problems with trees in pots for a long time are:

* The roots grow get so excessive that the tree suffer from it. The tree root system virtually start to strangle itself in the restricted space.
   You have 3 options.
   - Do nothing. The tree will get weak and very slow growing after a while and it will unlikely start to fruit.
   - Cut the root system back (at the right time of the year) when it has filled up the pot.
     This is A. time and labour intense (every year again, forever) and B. risky in damage the tree in the process or catch a disease at the
     open cutting wounds.
   - Put the tree as young as possible in a root control bag and the root control bag in a pot with about 10 cm space (around and on the
     bottom) between the bag and pot walls. This non-woven (needle punched) bags out of geo-textile encourage the roots to grow through
     the bag fabric. The magic of the root control bags is that the roots can't widen the hole where there growing through.
     The hole will stay about max. 1mm wide no matter how much force the tree roots apply to widen the hole.
     This makes the tree "think": "OK, I'm done with root development. Let's stop growing and spend energy in fruiting."
     The brand I have good experience with is the "Smart Pot": http://treebag.com/root-control-bag/  You can get them worldwide for
     example from: http://www.horticulturesource.com/high-caliper-3-gallon-smart-pot-10-x-8-5--p20408/
     3 gallon bags in 42 litre pots produces 1.5m to 2m productive trees in my setup.

Perfect watering of a tree in a pot can be a challenging task because of the little volume of buffering soil.
    My solution to this problem is using a true on-demand fully automatic (power-free) irrigation system.
    The best systems that I found (after testing a lot of them) are the two systems from http://www.blumat.com/en/
    The dripping system need a little pressure. About 0.25 to 0.5 bar. But it is really good in perfect adjusting (with some patience...)
    the irrigation cycle (deep and length) to the total satisfaction of your tree specimen.
    I improved the water distribution of the Blumat dripping system with connecting a cycle of a 4/8mm porous irrigation tube with a
    T-connector at the end of the dripping tube. You get a total even water distribution this way. 

*  Fertilizing
    You HAVE TO fertilize your trees in pots. The soil volume is not enough to feed productive plants.
    You want an *organic* full spectrum fertilizer. I recommend you this two:
    General Hydroponics BioSevia GROW and General Hydroponics BioSevia BLOOM
    For example from here: www.servovendi.com/uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=BioSevia  (they send international for a good price)
    2 ml per 10 litre irrigation water of the "Grow" one in beginning of the growing season. Changing to 2 ml per 10 l "Bloom" when the
    plant starts flower/fruit. Raise the dosage when the species can deal with it.
    (I can't find any good organic slow (3-6 month) release full spectrum fertilizer at all)

Good luck
 Andy

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 12:53:48 AM »
Here's that thread I mentioned earlier, looks like it was a custard apple in a 3gal pot, and it doesn't look like it was growing into the ground the best I can tell. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=14385.msg194694#msg194694

The Annona in the pot is legit, no roots have escaped under my watch, it's been id'd as A. reticulata and flowered last year.  Almost everything in the polyhouse is grown  in hydroponic cultures of differing methods. I can get much more tree bulk and faster growth over growing in soil based mixes. Now trialing Soursop, Rollinia, Gacinia's, papaya, amongst others.
Pictured are a seedling soursop and the A. diversifolia seen in previous posts, only this time in an upsized pot.
Pics won't upload.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:01:03 AM by jmc96 »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 05:22:40 PM »

The Annona in the pot is legit, no roots have escaped under my watch, it's been id'd as A. reticulata and flowered last year.  Almost everything in the polyhouse is grown  in hydroponic cultures of differing methods. I can get much more tree bulk and faster growth over growing in soil based mixes. Now trialing Soursop, Rollinia, Gacinia's, papaya, amongst others.
Pictured are a seedling soursop and the A. diversifolia seen in previous posts, only this time in an upsized pot.
Pics won't upload.

That's awesome man, I hope you're able to get pics to upload at some point. Are you still using the same nutrient solutions as you posted before for your annonas?
Dom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk