Author Topic: Achachairu: Calculating Pulp to Waste Ratio  (Read 3963 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Achachairu: Calculating Pulp to Waste Ratio
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:47:23 AM »
10 fruits of randomly picked fruits weighed 11 ounces (313 grams).
The seeds from those 10 fruits weighed 1 ounce (28 grams).
The rinds from the 10 fruits was 5.8 ounces (164 grams).
By adding weight of seeds + rinds = 6.8 ounces (193 grams),
and subtracting that from total fruit's weight then get the weight of pulp: 11 - 6.8= 4.2 ounces (119 grams) of edible pulp.
So the weight of the pulp 4.2 ounces is 38% of total weight of the 10 fruits. Waste (seed + rind) is 62%. So it's almost 2/3 waste and 1/3 edble pulp.

To be totally fair the rind can be used to make a delicious drink. Just take rinds of a couple fruits, blend in blender, let sit for a few hours, filter through screen, add sweetener, and some ice cubes. Tastes similar to a good iced tea. Very refreshing. Probably would also be great in jams or marmelade.
Ofcourse the seeds are not total waste if you plant them or trade them.
Still i feel this fruit could be improved a lot by selective process for smaller or seedless fruit. If that were done i think this fruit could become an important world wide crop. The goal should be minimum 2/3 pulp and 1/3 waste. The taste is very good, i think most people would like them, fruits keep very well, and plants are very productive. Also the fruits should ship very well.
Oscar

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Achachairu: Calculating Pulp to Waste Ratio
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:22 AM »
Oscar that's a great analysis. Thanks. I'm saving that information; I think it would be great if other members can do the same analysis for other Garcinias/fruits so we start having a scientific-based comparison of different species/varieties. People could just add their info to this thread. Maybe we could add more parameters like avg brix and size of fruit, etc. 
Federico
Homestead, FL

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:53:51 AM »
Oscar that's a great analysis. Thanks. I'm saving that information; I think it would be great if other members can do the same analysis for other Garcinias/fruits so we start having a scientific-based comparison of different species/varieties. People could just add their info to this thread. Maybe we could add more parameters like avg brix and size of fruit, etc.
Thanks, i will try to add brix and size.
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:49:54 AM »
Thanks Oscar for the info. Would be interesting to see how Lucs Garcinia compares.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »
Speaking of pulp ratios for garcinias, I imagine it would be poor for mangosteen.
Imagine for chupa chupa!
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 04:55:59 PM »
I think the commercial ones here are a bit bigger than that with high frequency of double and aborted seeds. I think also their ratio may be a little more favourable. I will try the same with them when the season comes around in February.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 05:08:48 PM »
I think the commercial ones here are a bit bigger than that with high frequency of double and aborted seeds. I think also their ratio may be a little more favourable. I will try the same with them when the season comes around in February.
Mine are large, usually averaging 1.1 oz. (32 grams) each, and there are lots with aborted seeds, but the aborts are almost always on the smaller fruits.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Speaking of pulp ratios for garcinias, I imagine it would be poor for mangosteen.
Imagine for chupa chupa!
Peter
You're probably right. Might be even worse for mangosteen. I will try to do same calculation on mangosteens.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
We generally have two seasons on achacharu, around. Ow and again in March/April or so. Here's a look at the stuff we are getting.
Peter

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
Thanks for the report Oscar, maybe they can can create seedless selections by using polyploids like they do with watermelons.

Simon

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »
Oscar - That is an interesting study on Acha. I know there are some studies on Garcinia indica or Kokum. The dried skin of Kokum is used for culinary purposes as an acidulant and colour in curries. The pulp for juice and the seeds for extracting Kokum butter. This butter is used in cooking as well  as a hardener for chocolates in the tropics.  Any similar uses for seeds of  Acha or Mexican garcinia ?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 02:27:55 AM »
Imagine for chupa chupa!
Peter
You're probably right. Might be even worse for mangosteen. I will try to do same calculation on mangosteens.
I did same calculation for mangosteen and the mangosteen scored a lot better with over 1/2 edible pulp. Compare that to achachairu which has only 1/3  edible pulp and 2/3 waste.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21362.0
Oscar

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
Thanks for doing this. This is very good information. Hopefully in the future we can get numbers on other varieties of Garcinia to compare. With Achachairu becoming a commercial crop I don't think we are to far away from named grafted varieties with more pulp or sweater  taste.

Bill

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »
Thanks for doing this. This is very good information. Hopefully in the future we can get numbers on other varieties of Garcinia to compare. With Achachairu becoming a commercial crop I don't think we are to far away from named grafted varieties with more pulp or sweater  taste.

Bill
I think you are right about improved selections of achachairu coming soon. The farm in Australia that is markeying them has 10,000 trees planted. I would think from that size population there would be a few exceptional trees worth propagating as improved types.
I might do pulp/waste calculation for button mangosteen next as i have a few right now. Hopefully later i can add brix measurements as i have a brix meter somewhere.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »
Button mangosteen will certainly do well in this analysis.  The skin is so thin and the pulp right under it very sweet.  Skin licking good!  I like this slow growing fruit and am trying to ramp up production.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 01:21:56 AM »
Button mangosteen will certainly do well in this analysis.  The skin is so thin and the pulp right under it very sweet.  Skin licking good!  I like this slow growing fruit and am trying to ramp up production.
Peter

I did same calculation for button mangosteen. Button mangosteen came out with 60% edible pulp and 40% waste. Almost 2/3 edible pulp and 1/3 waste. The opposite of achachairu which was almost 2/3 (62%) waste and 1/3 (38%) pulp. The regular mangosteem was over 1/2 (53%) edible pulp and less than 1/2 (47%) waste.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21382.0
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk