Author Topic: Insanity on Hardiness tags  (Read 2437 times)

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Insanity on Hardiness tags
« on: September 21, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »
I just dropped by a local retail nursery and was horrified by the hardiness signs they had hanging on their citrus, these were big letter size laser printed signs with the name, price, and hardiness scale at the bottom.  Unfortunately the manager was not in, and I did not think it would do any good to tell the teenager behind the sales counter.

A few examples:

Owari Satsuma zone 10 only

Brown Select Satsuma zone 9 & 10

Blood Oranges zone 6 -10

Hamlin Oranges 7-10

Meyers Lemon 6-10

At first I thought they were simply backwards, but there were a few oddballs thrown in

Note this nursery is along the 9a / 8b line (within a mile or two)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Insanity on Hardiness tags
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
Ooo! That's so exciting! I want a zone 6 blood orange! Ha ha!  No joke, I actually have some sanguinelli seedlings from fruit I got from someone in Columbia SC whose tree is unprotected other than being right behind a wooden fence on north side of tree. Most of my seedlings go inside house for winter, I've got several potted ones that ride out the winters in the 4 mil "greenhouse" that gets erected around my Kimbrough.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
I would be interested in knowing where the owner got his information. - Millet

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
Me too, the trees all had Saxon Becnel tags (probably largest citrus nursery in Louisiana), unfortunately their web site has been down for at least the last few weeks (people have reported it on their facebook page)