Author Topic: Button Mangosteen (Cherapu): Calculating Pulp to Waste Ratio  (Read 2851 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Button Mangosteen (Cherapu): Calculating Pulp to Waste Ratio
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:07:57 AM »
9 fruits of Garcinia prainiana randomly picked fruits weighed 11.5 ounces (326 grams).
The 39 seeds from those 9 fruits weighed 1 ounce (28 grams).
The rinds from the 9 fruits was 3.6 ounces (102 grams).
By adding weight of seeds + rinds = 4.6 ounces (130 grams),
and subtracting that from total fruit's weight then get the weight of pulp: 11.5 - 4.6= 6.9 ounces (196 grams) of edible pulp.
So the weight of the pulp 6.9 ounces is 60% of total weight of the 10 fruits. Waste (seed + rind) is 40%. So it's almost 2/3 edible pulp and 1/3 waste.
Oscar

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Button Mangosteen (Cherapu): Calculating Pulp to Waste Ratio
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:37:15 AM »
That's a pretty good ratio! Have you seen better in other Garcinias? Also, will you have seeds on your site? I've been looking for sources for about half a year.
Anisha

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 01:44:43 AM »
That's a pretty good ratio! Have you seen better in other Garcinias? Also, will you have seeds on your site? I've been looking for sources for about half a year.
Maybe if the trees keep producing. Ihe seeds i have right now already sold.
I can't think of any garcinia that would have a better result, but i'll try to do this calculation for other garcinias as they come into season.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:48:04 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:44:34 AM »
this is interesting. when i was eating the cherapu not too long ago, i kept thinking to myself  1) this is so damn good 2) the yield is great!  i even was rasping the inside of the skin to get any meat i could...i think you could get even better edible ratio if you let me do the tasting!   ;D

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Thanks for doing the calculations Oscar. It's really interesting to see how good the ratio is for the Cherapu when compared to the Mangosteen and Achachairu.  Looking forward to the other calculations! Thank you.. :)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 09:22:59 PM »
I am more and more convinced that this fruit deserves to be planted more.  Today I received a group from the recent fruit festival here and they were quite impressed with cherapu.  There are a lot of good fruits around and it nicely holds its own. 
It's interesting how the skin seems so unique for this genus.  While every other garcinia that comes to mind has a thick rind the button mangosteen has a skin more like persimmon, just a minimal film to protect the pulp.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:26:34 AM »
this is interesting. when i was eating the cherapu not too long ago, i kept thinking to myself  1) this is so damn good 2) the yield is great!  i even was rasping the inside of the skin to get any meat i could...i think you could get even better edible ratio if you let me do the tasting!   ;D
I think it better to use a spoon. Skin can have some sticky and sometimes bitter latex that will leave unpleasant feel in your mouth.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »
I think that when the cherapu is very, very ripe the pulp that kind of sticks to the skin can be very sweet.
So, for eating right at the tree its practical to only pick what is super ripe.  These fruits bruise easily though and the ones picked a little earlier can have a bitter latex.  They're easy enough to peel completely before eating and this should do away with any bitterness.
Oscar, or any others, have you been able to discern any difference in quality from one production tree to another?  I have only 3 trees in production right now, it's only my second harvest and I am not convinced that there is any consistent difference in fruit quality. 
Peter

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
I am more and more convinced that this fruit deserves to be planted more.  Today I received a group from the recent fruit festival here and they were quite impressed with cherapu.  There are a lot of good fruits around and it nicely holds its own. 
It's interesting how the skin seems so unique for this genus.  While every other garcinia that comes to mind has a thick rind the button mangosteen has a skin more like persimmon, just a minimal film to protect the pulp.
Peter
Limoncillo, Mexican Garcinia is also thin skin like persimmon when fully ripe...
El verde es vida!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk