Author Topic: Peanut Butter&Jelly Sandwich: Peanut Butter Fruit, Blackberry Jam, Breadfruit  (Read 3526 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Peanut Butter Fruit, Blackberry Jam Fruit, and Breadfruit. The perfect American combination:

The main ingredient: Peanut Butter fruits

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:02:11 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut Butter and Jelly Fruit Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:39:20 AM »
Haha!! This is awesome.  Nicely done oscar!
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
nice pic's as always should have cut open blackberry jam fruit 8)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 02:57:19 AM »
Went ahead and tried the 3 fruits together: slice of breadfruit, layer of peanut butter fruit, and blackberry jam fruit, for the all American peanut butter and jelly sandwich  8)

Was pretty good, but needed more jelly, and didn't have enough blackberry jam fruits, so i added a layer of rollinia, and that was really great tasting:

Here is a closeup:

Surprisingly just a slice of breadfruit with only rollinia on top was really good.
Oscar

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Loving this thread! I have all 3, but none of them have fruited yet. This gives me a lot to look forward to! No rollinia yet, but hopefully that will come soon.

The photos are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Does your "blackberry jam" plant actually taste like blackberry jam?  I've got one, and I have to say that the fruit tastes absolutely terrible!  I"m wondering if I just have a bad plant or if the "blackberry jam" fruit really doesn't taste good.  The blooms are beautiful and have a wonderful fragrance, though - so I'm keeping it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Does your "blackberry jam" plant actually taste like blackberry jam?  I've got one, and I have to say that the fruit tastes absolutely terrible!  I"m wondering if I just have a bad plant or if the "blackberry jam" fruit really doesn't taste good.  The blooms are beautiful and have a wonderful fragrance, though - so I'm keeping it.

Agreed from what I have tasted also.  A ton of seeds and looks like it should be a seeded blackberry jam but past that...zippo.   Oh, wait, I almost fotgot to add, stains terribly.
- Rob

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Be careful Oscar, next thing you know people will be demanding your Sandwiches :o 8)

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Haha nice!  I've always wanted to do this, but so far of the three fruit trees, only my peanut butter fruit has produced.  Did you cook the breadfruit, or is it raw?  I've also seen breadfruit flour, so I think it would also be fun to make actual bread with breadfruit flour and then add the blackberry jam and peanut butter fruit to make a sandwich.  :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
fruit salad sandwich!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
The name is a good one, tastes just like blackberry jam. Yes it is very seedy but seeds are thin and small and you can easily eat seeds and all. The fruits are small, like marble sized. The flowers are white and quite fragrant.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Haha nice!  I've always wanted to do this, but so far of the three fruit trees, only my peanut butter fruit has produced.  Did you cook the breadfruit, or is it raw?  I've also seen breadfruit flour, so I think it would also be fun to make actual bread with breadfruit flour and then add the blackberry jam and peanut butter fruit to make a sandwich.  :)
I used the breadfruit in the green stage, so it is cooked. You can see the slices on the plate. You could also use ripe breadfruit, but then would be very soft and sweet, not at all like bread.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The name is a good one, tastes just like blackberry jam. Yes it is very seedy but seeds are thin and small and you can easily eat seeds and all. The fruits are small, like marble sized. The flowers are white and quite fragrant.

If that is the case, there must be variations as what I have tasted is far from blackberry jam...what I have tasted compares to a black sapote truly tasting like chocolate pudding/mousse.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

If that is the case, there must be variations as what I have tasted is far from blackberry jam...what I have tasted compares to a black sapote truly tasting like chocolate pudding/mousse.
Taste could also be affected by different climate/soil. I think that is more likely than different fruit types. Yes the blackberry jam fruits are very tasty here. But i consider it a kiddie food just because the fruits are so small. Then again that is also true with peanut butter fruit. And in the case of peanut butter fruit the seeds are way larger and not edible. Also very little to eat.
Oscar

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
I suspect you may be right.  Or it may be a case of different seed parentage producing "off" fruits, as with surinam cherry.  I've had really nice ones, but mine taste like paint thinner.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile

I have not tried one yet, but from what I have read, it sounds like it is variable between plants, and conditions - like most fruit. There might be a cultivar to be had in there somewhere. I have 2 of them, so I really hope at least one of them produces something good! :)  Would be really interesting to see too what kind of variables in soil and climate and water might influence flavor. Sometimes too, like with many fruits, it might simply be a matter of the plant maturing more, or an early or later season fruit picked. Is it really clear when to eat them, so that we are sure the reports of poor taste don't have to do with fruit not being fully ripened? There doesn't seem to be a ton known about the fruit, or at least widely available, so I am hoping maybe sometimes it's a matter of people trying them too early or something? (Wishful thinking, but still...)

I just know how variable these things can be. Sometimes a plant just produces poor-tasting fruit, but I don't think so many people that I've heard rave about their experience of it could all be wrong. It seems very likely that either their plants are better, or their conditions are better. It's like a discussion that was had with Australian Beach cherry, how many people said it was useless and then some have identified at least one strain that is clearly highly desirable in flavor. Same with Natal Plum, they vary widely. The one I tasted was good, but some apparently are pretty awful.

One of my Blackberry Jam Fruit bushes had its first flower this past year, so I'm really hoping to finally get fruit the next time around! Then we'll see if they are in fact awful or decent or delicious. The flower was pretty cool though, so it's true, there is value in the plant anyway, at the very least as an ornamental.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Very easy to tell when blackberry jam fruits are ready to eat...they turn from green to totally yellow.
Oscar

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
I have a bunch of ripe fruit on my plant at the moment.  I haven't tried any this year, but I'll taste another one today and let you know how if it has improved.  The plant is now 3 years old, so I don't think the taste is a matter of age.   I have it in a 20" pot.  It did terribly in my sandy, alkaline soil, so I dug it up and potted it 2 years ago.  Seems to like a little more acidity than I can offer it in the ground.  The plant itself is flourishing and flowers are beautiful, but the fruit......YUCK!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk