Author Topic: Bloom Fairy Coming to South Florida  (Read 30291 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Bloom Fairy Coming to South Florida
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
FINALLY Pickering and Angie are in full bloom.  Mallika just starting.  Don't know if Providence will do anything since it's only a year-and-a-half-old (but quite tall).
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
My cogshall seems on its way to a full bloom. Neelam is just starting to push.
The NDM (don't know what number) is a strange tree. Has 3 panicles and the rest of the terminals show no sign of pushing.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
Fruitfreak/Marley, very nice trees!! Are you planning on keeping them in pots for planting them inground in the nearby future?

Great to hear most everyone's mango trees are finally blooming!

My Glenn has mostly new growths with just a few blooms...I'm guessing the very warm weather during the bloom stage must have interrupted the bloom cycle  :'(

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »
Fruitfreak/Marley, very nice trees!! Are you planning on keeping them in pots for planting them inground in the nearby future? 

Hi Pugs.  Thanks and your Glenn looks like a perfect specimen, absolutely beautiful.  All of my trees are going in ground this year.  Those are the 65gal fabric pots.
- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
boo. Don't worry, my glenn did the same thing.

Great to hear most everyone's mango trees are finally blooming!

My Glenn has mostly new growths with just a few blooms...I'm guessing the very warm weather during the bloom stage must have interrupted the bloom cycle  :'(

Jeff  :-)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
My Glenn is going crazy. Ton of fruit about golf ball size and just put out another bloom.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »

Thanks! Should really take off once you get them planted later...

Good to know Jeff that mine isn't the only one doing the mixed bloom/growth thing! I love my Glenn so its very disappointing not getting more flowers this year.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2017, 03:44:56 PM »
I have seen a number of Glenn trees doing this in the past few weeks. Clearly wasn't a fan of the weather this cycle.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Sunrise is the only tree exhibiting that sort of behavior in my yard.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
My Glenn is pushing growth, no blooms :-( On the + side everythig else is doing good.
Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2017, 11:06:42 PM »
Lucky.

Sunrise is the only tree exhibiting that sort of behavior in my yard.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:50 AM »
Looks like a great year and potential great crop for my Ice Cream mango tree. On its 2nd bloom with golf ball fruit set from the 1st. Juliette is in full bloom. Lemon Zest is in full bloom :D. Both Julie's are in their 2nd bloom with fruit set from the 1st. Honey Kiss is in full bloom. Pickering, Maha, and Okrung looks as if they are about to bloom. Kesar's lower half is in full bloom. Tog Bi Con is mixed with growth and flowers with some branches are have multiple flower panicles only. Dot is mixed. Cushman, Imam Pasand, Mallika, Langra, Venus, Fernandin, Philippine, and ST Maui...crickets.

Fernandin and Venus in half bloom. Pickering and Dupuis Saigon in full bloom. Tog Bi Con has ~90% blooms. Maha, ST Maui, and Imam Pasand is partial bloom (< ~30% branches). Okrung, Cushman, Coconut Cream, Philippine and Langra.....crickets.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
Carrie & Keitt starting to bloom. ST Maui & some new blooms on Cogshall seem to be trying to shoot out new blooms but they died??
Sergio

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »
Pretty cool weather in swfl this morning.  I noticed the ol Haden is pushing out mega late bloom spikes everywhere.  I thought it was done but guess not!
- Marley

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
false bloom alarm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:37:07 PM by Das Bhut »

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
I moved back in late September but stopped by the old house about 6 weeks ago and the Glenn mango was full of blooms......sadly, I learned that the guy who moved into the house chopped the tree down :( :(

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2017, 01:33:06 AM »
I moved back in late September but stopped by the old house about 6 weeks ago and the Glenn mango was full of blooms......sadly, I learned that the guy who moved into the house chopped the tree down :( :(

The same thing happened in one of my past houses. I planted a very prolific Peach Mango and the next owner chopped it. I think the neighbors wanted to lynch him, I gave away baskets of mango to them.

Regards,

Gary

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2017, 08:02:35 AM »

That is very sad to hear when new neighbors or tenants move in and chop down mango trees (especially the good varieties)...maybe they don't know what it is or like mangoes. Its the only sane explanation I have on why they do it  :'(

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Many years ago when I was growing up, we planted a Hass avocado tree in our front yard in the Los Angeles area.  The tree started to produce fruit--beautiful, delicious little fruit--but we sold the house.  When I came back to visit the neighborhood after a few years, the tree was gone.  It was heartbreaking.  People are truly weird and have no sense!
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
People on this forum are obviously fruit tree lovers/fanatics however you realize that it is a very small sector of society .  Many would say the same if any forum member cut down an Oak tree or an ornamental flowering tree for a fruit tree...

I can tell you I currently live in a community of over 500 homes and the vast majority would never want a fruit tree anywhere near their property cause the feel they are messy and attract rats.

Bottom line, to each their own...
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
so these not so humid and very windy conditions should be good to limit fungus on developing blooms right? I guess the drawbacks being some flower loss, and making it more difficult for pollinators?
always longing for a JA Julie

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »
It sure has been very windy the last few days...my Cogshall is on its second bloom. Most of the flowers are not open yet. Only have 2 mangoes set from the first bloom cycle in late December lol...

Rob, very good point! Most of my neighbors have Citrus trees...and those are slowly disappearing due to Citrus greening  :(.  I think there are only a few mango and lychee trees in my development...I know because I've spent a lot of time driving around "looking" for them, lol...I think I have the oldest and largest trees in my (close) to me in my neighborhood. The rest of the ones I've seen are much smaller/younger ...However if you drive a little further away there are some old established trees in some of the older neighborhoods near me. Even a Lychee grove less than 10 miles from me.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
Yep. Nine times out of 10, the new owner will axe most of the fruit trees and plant palms or oaks (or just plain old grass) in their place.

My current home was on that path. The first owner (Bill Snyder) was a charter member of the Broward Rare Fruit Council and had planted the entire yard with edibles. The next person to buy it removed perhaps half of the fruit trees (including what was rumored to be a fruiting mangosteen) and replanted with ornamentals. Then I came along and removed the ornamentals, replanted with fruit trees, and purchased and converted the neighboring lot to an orchard for good measure.

I guess the lady who chopped down many of the fruit trees here eventually saw a satellite image of her former property and was shocked to see that it returned back to the state that Bill had left it in :-).

People on this forum are obviously fruit tree lovers/fanatics however you realize that it is a very small sector of society .  Many would say the same if any forum member cut down an Oak tree or an ornamental flowering tree for a fruit tree...

I can tell you I currently live in a community of over 500 homes and the vast majority would never want a fruit tree anywhere near their property cause the feel they are messy and attract rats.

Bottom line, to each their own...

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2017, 06:21:37 PM »
Finally about 2 weeks ago my coconut cream popped, and has had more veg growth and pushed more bloom spikes, so should get more mangoes from it than last year in its 4th year. PPK still NADA, zilch, looks like maybe some tips swelling but not a singe break open. Pickering woke up about a week ago. Fairchild still nothing either. And on an unrelated note, Wurtz avocado blooming too!!

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »

i know the feeling.
i am, however, trying to change that.
If only on my street.

i spend a lot of time in my yard
and whenever i am in the front yard, and someone is walking by
i give them whatever fruit i have growing (in the front)
and tell them that anything in reach of the sidewalk is for them, and the neighborhood to pick.

i have a couple of guava, a Muntingia (just  died back from frost, but its coming back)
a couple of fig trees, a Jujube a  jambul/Java plum, and a mulberry.
(others in the future too)

Hardly anyone ever actually picks fruit unless i hand it to them
and then, i sometimes feel i am being pushy.
One neighbor tasted a guava and looked like she wanted to throw up.
its one of the better guava ive ever tasted. (ive since got her to like one)

Part of the point of my food-forest, is to show that people can grow a percent of their food.
i talk to them about the benefits of nutrition, lack of pesticides etc...
and i keep most of the better stuff in the back yard.
When you consider 1/2 of the food grown is never eaten (waste etc...)
and the costs involved in labor, transportation, fuel, storage, losses etc...
its mind boggling.
If everyone grew %20 of their food the world would be a happier place.
and the USA is worse than most countries. Ive been to several places outside the U.S.
and a lot of people have small gardens and a couple of fruit trees.