Author Topic: Bloom Fairy Coming to South Florida  (Read 30298 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Bloom Fairy Coming to South Florida
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
Do you think nutrition has anything to do with this? Both my coco cream trees (which came from the 2011 batch) produced poorly until this year -- which is the first year that I've really taken care of their nutritional needs with plenty of micros, p and k, starting a year before the bloom. My pina colada is doing the same thing -- it's loaded with bb's... as are all of my trees.

The party line among mango tree growers seems to be that they don't need anything but potassium. But, I've found that to be untrue. It is indeed true that mangoes do exceptionally well in the absence of nitrogen, but they do need micros, p and k.

another year of super heavy bloom on coconut cream, another year with 2 or so bb sized fruit when all is said and done.

They are erratic, unreliable fruiters due to a tendency towards bad ratios of male flowers some years.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:48 AM »
Do you think nutrition has anything to do with this? Both my coco cream trees (which came from the 2011 batch) produced poorly until this year -- which is the first year that I've really taken care of their nutritional needs with plenty of micros, p and k, starting a year before the bloom. My pina colada is doing the same thing -- it's loaded with bb's... as are all of my trees.

The party line among mango tree growers seems to be that they don't need anything but potassium. But, I've found that to be untrue. It is indeed true that mangoes do exceptionally well in the absence of nitrogen, but they do need micros, p and k.

another year of super heavy bloom on coconut cream, another year with 2 or so bb sized fruit when all is said and done.

They are erratic, unreliable fruiters due to a tendency towards bad ratios of male flowers some years.

I think it's possibly more an issue with their relative age. The coconut cream trees at Fairchild farm produced poorly  for years until maybe 3 years ago, then they started having good crops.

I have an excellent nutritional program in place and have found that younger CC trees still tend to produce too many staminate flowers. They are definitely capable of producing decent crops but they aren't consistent about it. I blame the 'Gary' and 'edward' influence in its genetic makeup. Mediocre disease resistance too.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:50:31 AM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

OK.

I think it's possibly more an issue with their relative age. The coconut cream trees at Fairchild farm produced poorly  for years until maybe 3 years ago, then they started having good crops.

I have an excellent nutritional program in place and have found that younger CC trees still tend to produce too many staminate flowers. They are definitely capable of producing decent crops but they aren't consistent about it. I blame the 'Gary' and 'edward' influence in its genetic makeup. Mediocre disease resistance too.
Jeff  :-)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »
This year has been frustrating for me. I hacked back my pickering too late last year and it's only puahing vegetative growth. Maybe I let it hold too many fruit last year... Not really sure. I also have a NDM that's good size but it looks like it's stuck. Swollen buds since late January but absolutely no growth or blooms... I could deal with at least some homegrown NDM but the wait is killing me.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
This year has been frustrating for me. I hacked back my pickering too late last year and it's only puahing vegetative growth. Maybe I let it hold too many fruit last year... Not really sure. I also have a NDM that's good size but it looks like it's stuck. Swollen buds since late January but absolutely no growth or blooms... I could deal with at least some homegrown NDM but the wait is killing me.

I feel your pain. My NDM has like 5 panicles, it was planted from a 7 gallon over 3 years