Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

The best tasting orange for coolder climate?

(1/4) > >>

Fabio:
I known about the hybrid "US 119" but I dont have direct  experience, I read in some pages that are smaller of commercial oranges and have  the bitterness of Poncirus trifoliata is that true? I have a possibility to buy Sun chu Shu , but I dont know nothing about it, the same with variety Morton.

Citradia:
I've seen US 119 fruit at SE citrus forums, didn't get to taste it, but it looked like a regular orange to me in cross section with nice orange/yellow color. I'd be glad to have one. I have s Morton citrange sapling, is cold hardy, and I've seen the large beautiful fruits at citrus forums, but didn't taste it, but did smell a cross section of it, and must say it smelled rather spunky. A grower in AL says it makes a good citrus drink with added sugar. I'm glad to have mine and hope to try the fruit one day.

Millet:
US 119 is a cross of [(Poncirus trifoliata x Citrus paradisi) x Citrus sinensis].  The tree has all three types of citrus leaves, mono and bi, but with trifoliate leaves dominating. The fruit does have a sweet taste to it but with an unpleasant lingering bitter Trifoliate aftertaste. Sun chu Shu I know nothing about.  The Morton citrange is a very juicy fruit and is if flavored much like an orange.  It is sweet but with strong lingering Trifoliate  aftertaste. The juice cannot be diluted to obtain a satisfactory flavor.

Laaz:
If you're 8b / 9a you should be able to grow just about any orange. You just want to get early ripening types if you don't want to protect the fruit. Hamlin is a great variety as is the Washington navel. US 119 is nasty if you ask me.

Fabio:
Yes, but I m  afraid of losting plants if I plant "common" oranges . With varieties like Morton, US 119  I will be safe , the place where can i put the plants are in sunny position with some protection of house and on the left side of palms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version