Author Topic: Trees waking up, what now?  (Read 1258 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Trees waking up, what now?
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
Most of the trees in my temporary greenhouse are starting to form leaves and flower buds.  What fertilizer and spray schedule do you use?

I've noticed some spider mites and those corky leaf spots I've posted about before (maybe greasy spot and something else?).  Not sure, but I'd like to be better about spraying this year.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Trees waking up, what now?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
I'd spray foliage with water to knock off spider mites. Leaves get dry in green house and that attracts mites. Don't know about corky spots. Seems early for blooming yet unless the greenhouse not vented and got too hot inside to keep trees dormant. My trees have been uncovered or vented for the past weeks with this warm weather we're having. Supposed to have low of 29 this Thursday, so I'll be covering and closing that night. Don't want to spray insecticide if blooming; don't want to kill bees.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:15:26 PM »
From what I've gathered, I need to spray Copper starting in April, then again in May and June to control both Greasy spot and Melanose.  Does that sound right?

I usually spray dormant oil with soap to control spider mites and that seems to work pretty well.

When should I start fertilizing?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
I fertilize when growth starts in spring; about April/may in my area. We usually don't want to fertilize and encourage new growth when there is still threat of freezing weather, unless you know your trees are safe from freezing temps in your enclosures. The Hardy Citrus for the Southeast book by Tom McClendon says on page 9 that it's best to start "fertilizing just before growth initiates in spring. This will range from late February in the extreme Lower South and as late as the beginning of April farther north. In all areas it is best to fertilize no later than July 1." He says to put on growth early and "allow tree to slow down as much as possible before fall". I spray with neem oil, dormant oil, or just water as needed for spider mites, but I've noticed my trees don't have problems with mite control when outside uncovered during growing season; they only tend to have mites in winter when potted trees are in house or inground trees outside covered by plastic domes or high tunnel. Mites don't like getting rained on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk