Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Sassafras root suckers  (Read 118 times)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Sassafras root suckers
« on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
Hi! Has anyone had any successful experience trying to cut off and replant sassafras root suckers? How did you go about it? I have tried taking cuttings from someone's mature coppiced stand and it does not matter if I take them during the "dormant" period or active growth - they die eventually? Is sassafras propagated by seed only?

Have also tried airlayers - no luck. I am looking into growing root suckers because I am having a hard time growing them past a couple of months from seed.

Thanks for any advice!
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Sassafras root suckers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
I have few plants from seeds. Seeds must be fresh and they need undergo stratification. They grow very slowly but leaves has nice smell

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Sassafras root suckers
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
I've tried every trick that I know and the only success has come from seeds. You'll work hard to get to the fruit before all the birds eat them. I was lucky in that my neighbor just happened to have a female tree next to his deck so he could bring seeds whenever it fruited. I've moved and lost touch with him. I keep checking the mature trees in the woods beside my house and I have never seen them bloom or fruit.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers