Author Topic: What can be grafted on Apple?  (Read 2620 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
What can be grafted on Apple?
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
I have an Apple tree on the ground for 3 years, but never produce decent crop for me. What can I graft on it? Can I graft jujube , Indian jujube, nectarines, loquat on the rootstock? Please advice.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What can be grafted on Apple?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
Your older thread had a lot of responses HERE. I'm not sure there are really spectacular fruits you can put on an apple other than loquat.

Another apple would be best. You could try things like quince, pears, loquat, medlar, hawthorns. No guarantee on those and they may require one or more interstocks to work.

Jujubes, nectarines are stone fruits and not closely related to apple. There's an SFGATE article online that miscategorized apple as a stone fruit so ignore that.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »
I did asked about loquat, but not jujubes. By the way, can I graft sugar cane jujube on Indian or Indian jujube on Chinese jujube?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:46:01 AM »
I did asked about loquat, but not jujubes. By the way, can I graft sugar cane jujube on Indian or Indian jujube on Chinese jujube?
I'm pretty sure you can't graft Indian jujube on Chinese jujube. The red one goes dormant while the green Indian one doesn't. It would probably die off the first winter. Not sure the other way around. I never tried either one. I grafted and airlayered Chinese jujube before.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can't graft Indian jujube on Chinese jujube. The red one goes dormant while the green Indian one doesn't. It would probably die off the first winter. Not sure the other way around. I never tried either one. I grafted and airlayered Chinese jujube before.

Do you know how long it take to airlayer the jujube in winter? I did one in October. 

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
What variety of apple is it? Why won't it bloom? You're in San Diego zone 10? Do you get enough chilling hours for it to bloom? Loquat is a tropical tree and I don't think it's even in the rose family like apples and pears. You need to have similar species to graft onto. Apples are related to pears, quince, crabapples of course, mountain ash/ Rowan. I'd say make sure your apple variety is suitable for your area, make sure soil is right, care for properly, etc. make sure you have enough phosphorus in soil to promote bloom. Have soil test. I had to use super phosphate to get my crabapples and apples to bloom well because my soil test showed phosphorus deficiency.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »
For jujube I think it's best to airlayer when the leaves are on the tree. Maybe something like spring. I did them in the fall and took off one of them the next fall. Left one to be cut with leaves this spring. Not sure what time is better for cutting them off so I'm trying both.