Author Topic: Recommend a blood orange/rootstock combination  (Read 4390 times)

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
Recommend a blood orange/rootstock combination
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
My neighbor wants a blood orange tree. I haven't paid much attention to blood oranges so I don't know the pluses and minuses of each variety. Which do you prefer and why? Which rootstock? A mature tree height of about 12-15 feet would be preferred. Northern San Joaquin Valley, California; USDA zone 9a/Sunset zone 14.

Thanks,

gary

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a blood orange/rootstock combination
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
There are 3 types of blood oranges, Moro, Tarocco and Sanguinello.   Moro is the one you commonly see in U.S. supermarkets, it develops the darkest red coloration and a great aroma.  Many say that the Moro also has the most intense flavor.  Tarocco, does not produce as dark a red color as Moro,  sort of a half blood orange.  However, the taste of Tarocco is sweeter then the Moro.  Sanguinello, I would not recommend over either the Moro or the Tarocco.  I see you posted from California, which could be a problem.  NOTE: anthocyanin is the chemical in all blood oranges that causes them to develop the dark red color and the unique flavor, and in order to do so the fruit requires cool growing conditions.  Therefore, in areas like Florida and the warmer sections of California, blood oranges sometimes do not develop good coloration.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:07:05 PM by Millet »

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
I've contacted the University of California's Lindcove Research and Extension Center to see if any of the blood oranges will ripen here.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:29:26 PM »
They will ripen, but might not develop color. In the past I grew Moro inside my greenhouse.  They ripened, and the taste was excellent, but because of the warm greenhouse conditions they did not turn red.  It all worked out, because my wife does not like blood oranges, and she never knew that the blond oranges were really warm grown Moros.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »
I've tasted some of Ben Salley's Sanguinelli blood oranges he grows in Columbia, SC, and thought they were delicious with a nice red color. I've planted some of the seeds, and now three years later, they are nice potted trees.

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
The person from UC Riverside recommended Moro, Bream Tarocco, and Smith Red on Trifoliate. Doesen't look like we can easily get those on Trifoliate here in California. Moro and Tarocco can be had on C35; can someone tell me about C35?

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:10 AM »
I planted tarocco grafted on citrange troyer few years ago. It proved to be good combination. Last year had 50 fruits. This winter survived -4 C with only small leaf loss. Also survived hot dry summer with minor damages, and i was not there to water it regularly. On the other side moro grafted on citrus aurantium did not do so well.   

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:28:37 AM »

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 03:16:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply and the pic. Your tree seems to be growing quite nicely.

It's been quite a few years since we've seen -4 here. We may have gotten to -2 a night or two this winter but no lower.

The only other options are Flying Dragon and Cuban Shaddock. I know nothing about Cuban Shaddock. I like Flying Dragon but it won't get big enough and is just too slow growing for my neighbor's needs.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:38:21 AM »
As i understand flying dragon is dwarf variety.

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
I have read there may be a rootstock incompatibility between Moro and C-35. See here...
http://cetulare.ucanr.edu/files/201441.pptx

Durling Nursery uses Trifoliate for most of their semi-dwarf trees. They do grow Moro and their trees are stocked at Home Depot and Armstrongs in SoCal, not sure what other regions they stock. I would suggest calling them and inquiring about finding a Moro in your area, you can also confirm that they specifically use Trifoliate in combo with Moro. They also stock something they call Red Valencia which I am pretty sure is Smith Red though not positive. Their number is 800-633-4411.

Good luck!

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 07:10:53 PM »
Yes, Flying Dragon is dwarfing. Supposedly, so is Cuban Shaddock; about the only place that uses it, AFAIK, is Four Winds Growers.

--------

I can't open that .pptx file but I'll take  your word for the incompatability. I'll give Durling Nursery a call next week. Thanks for the pointer.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »
Use swingle, fast growing & works in almost all soil types.

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »
I called Durling Nursery and they do use Trifoliate for their citrus trees. Because of the quarantine they can't sell to Northern California.

Swingle would be a good option but I can't find it available here to retail customers. I tried grafting once, apple trees. I had some really good scion from Nick Botner. I tried twenty grafts - three took. It was too frustrating, I couldn't get a good cut no matter how hard I tried. Even if I could do it I don't think my neighbor has the patience for it.

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
You might try Menlo Growers, I don't know what types of rootstock they use but they appear to stock Moro and a couple other bloods. They are in Gilroy.

www.menlogrowers.com
(408) 683-4862

Waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »
Thanks, I'll give them a jingle next week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk