Author Topic: Thai Lessard or Kampong Mauve  (Read 3867 times)

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
Thai Lessard or Kampong Mauve
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:17:32 PM »
I am planning to make an order from PIN and want to get a sugar apple. I can not find any comparison between Thai Lessard and Kampong Mauve varieties. What are the difference between the two trees/fruit? I am also open to ordering from somewhere else if there is mail order.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Lessard or Kampong Mauve
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
I've written this in other threads but I have a Kampong, it did poorly in a pot for a year, I planted it out and for the last year it's still doing poorly. I don't know if mine is typical or if others have had issues with it but I wouldn't buy one again.
Regards,

Gary

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
I am planning to make an order from PIN and want to get a sugar apple. I can not find any comparison between Thai Lessard and Kampong Mauve varieties. What are the difference between the two trees/fruit? I am also open to ordering from somewhere else if there is mail order.

I'd email Adam of FlyingFoxFruits and get a Big Red sugar apple tree from him. This seems to be the most widely liked one. I've never tried it though.
You can get some seeds for next to nothing from forum members.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:29 AM »
Years ago I ordered seeds for Kampong Mauve online from some Thai website,  I have one tree in a container,   on the balcony at work,   and that little devil put out all kinds of fruit.  I have heard that Sugar apples were shy bearers, or that you needed to mess with pollinating etc.  they are not big fruit,  biggest one I got was about the size of a Valencia orange.   tree has about 2-3 fruit on it now with more flowers.  I hardly take care of it,  just water, some fertilizer once a year.   seems to put out fruit, 3 or more times a year. very productive.  I can only imagine what it would do in the ground with better care and more sunlight.  only gets about 4 hours direct sunlight in the afternoon.

My biggest problem is catching the fruit before they drop,  they go from not ripe, to ripe,  in one day,  so as soon as they turn purple,  I get a plastic bag or net, and tie it to the stem,  if I don't it will be splattered on the ground.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
Years ago I ordered seeds for Kampong Mauve online from some Thai website,  I have one tree in a container,   on the balcony at work,   and that little devil put out all kinds of fruit.  I have heard that Sugar apples were shy bearers, or that you needed to mess with pollinating etc.  they are not big fruit,  biggest one I got was about the size of a Valencia orange.   tree has about 2-3 fruit on it now with more flowers.  I hardly take care of it,  just water, some fertilizer once a year.   seems to put out fruit, 3 or more times a year. very productive.  I can only imagine what it would do in the ground with better care and more sunlight.  only gets about 4 hours direct sunlight in the afternoon.

My biggest problem is catching the fruit before they drop,  they go from not ripe, to ripe,  in one day,  so as soon as they turn purple,  I get a plastic bag or net, and tie it to the stem,  if I don't it will be splattered on the ground.

Once you see the segments separating so you can see a little lighter color in the valley between the two segments, you can clip the fruit from the tree and it will ripen on the counter in a few days. Otherwise you're right, it is tough to time them without the bugs getting them or them going splat.

Also sugar apples tend to be awesome at bearing without hand pollination, though the best I can remember Kampong Muave has a reputation as being on the shy bearing side. If you do hand pollinate yours TropicDude, you'll likely get larger fruit.

I'd second the recommendation to look at Big Red if you want a red sugar apple. It isn't one I've gotten to try myself yet, hopefully my small tree gets froggy this year, but its reputation on the forum seems pretty solid.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:54:34 AM by TheDom »
Dom

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »
Which lessard the red or the white both good I have seen red lessard go over 1 lb every year .

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Thanks guys. I emailed Adam, but his site says he is out of the big red.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »
I would try to get some seeds from someone on here. I grafted a red sugar apple last year and it's flowering this year, so it might not be a bad way to go. You can get a handful of seeds and have several rootstocks to practice on.
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:32:25 PM »

Once you see the segments separating so you can see a little lighter color in the valley between the two segments, you can clip the fruit from the tree and it will ripen on the counter in a few days. Otherwise you're right, it is tough to time them without the bugs getting them or them going splat.

Also sugar apples tend to be awesome at bearing without hand pollination, though the best I can remember Kampong Muave has a reputation as being on the shy bearing side. If you do hand pollinate yours TropicDude, you'll likely get larger fruit.

I'd second the recommendation to look at Big Red if you want a red sugar apple. It isn't one I've gotten to try myself yet, hopefully my small tree gets froggy this year, but its reputation on the forum seems pretty solid.

Thanks for the advice,  will try the ripe test. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:50:06 AM »
I would try to get some seeds from someone on here. I grafted a red sugar apple last year and it's flowering this year, so it might not be a bad way to go. You can get a handful of seeds and have several rootstocks to practice on.
10-4 gonna go make a post on buy/sell forum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk