Author Topic: Any Chupa Chupa growing?  (Read 4096 times)

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
Any Chupa Chupa growing?
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »
Only remember this plant by its funny name, may have been mentioned somewhere.. Never seen it.
Although it sounds very tasty, and looks nice as a tree, plus its a Malvaceae family member!

Here's some info on Quararibea cordata from TheFerns
Edibility Rating   
Other Uses Rating   
Habit   Deciduous Tree
Height   20.00 m
Growth Rate   Fast
Pollinators   Insects, humming birds
Cultivation Status   Cultivated, Wild
Cultivation Details

Likes to grow in hot, humid, lowland tropical to subtropical regions with lots of rainfall[335
]. Plants are very susceptible to frost injury[335
].
Prefers a fertile, moisture-retentive soil and a position in full sun[307
].
Young plants are fast-growing[625
].
Edible Uses

Fruit - raw[301
]. The fibrous yellow-orange pulp of the fruit is sweet and is eaten raw[301
]. The flavour is reminiscent of a very sweet pumpkin with overtones of mango and apricot[301
]. Opinions vary widely over the quality of this fruit, with some people describing it enthusiastically as like a blend of mangoes, peaches and strawberries, whilst others have found it to be bland[307
]. There are forms with very little fibre and these can be utilised for juice[301
]. The fruit is up to 10cm in diameter[416
].
Medicinal

None known
Agroforestry Uses:

A fast-growing, natural pioneer species within its native range. With its edible fruit it could very well be useful in a mixed planting to restore native woodland or to establish a woodland garden[K
].
The large trees of this species are grown in association with avocados. This combination works well because both species have the same soil requirements, and zapote provides necessary shade for the avocados[355
].

From http://tropical.theferns.info/viewtropical.php?id=Quararibea+cordata

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chupa Chupa growing?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:16 AM »
I love it. It's in my top 10 favorite fruit.
Biodiversity is key.

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
This is one I still haven't tried. I'd be interested giving it a try. Anyone have success in Fl? If so, when do they come in season?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
They have a flowering one in the Whitman Pavilion at Fairchild. I don't know if it has fruited yet. I'm guessing this had to have been fruited in Florida by now but I don't know of it happening. The seeds I ordered were rotten. The fruit is decent. The tree is gorgeous. It is not cold hardy as far as I know so it would be a tree to keep pruned and protected in a nice microclimate.
-Josh

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
If you have a good clone at the right degree of ripeness, they are very good.  Frankie's has a very good clone.

John

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I have one in the ground-a couple feet tall. I have 1 other seedling that I am debating about putting in the ground.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »
Whitman had a large tree at his house but he did not like it at all,poor quality fruit , now Frankie's was great like cantaloupe.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:33:59 AM »
Quality varies greatly between trees.Have a look at some of the threads I posted featuring matisia well over 1kg.A number of the best varieties were brought here from Colombia and nearby areas about 40 or 50 years ago and independently a few other times.The trees get way bigger than 20m and are quite tropical.Fruit can be of good quality especially with low fibre types.The taste is fairly standard being papaya and pumpkin with mango/rockmelon overtones.The relative dominance of the pumpkin taste and sweetness can vary a bit and make the difference between pleasant and ordinary.

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:04 AM »
I have one in the ground-a couple feet tall. I have 1 other seedling that I am debating about putting in the ground.
Good! Local... We'll be around, how many years to flower? By chance, are they different lineage?
Whitman had a large tree at his house but he did not like it at all,poor quality fruit , now Frankie's was great like cantaloupe.
Who are these individuals?
Quality varies greatly between trees.Have a look at some of the threads I posted featuring matisia well over 1kg.A number of the best varieties were brought here from Colombia and nearby areas about 40 or 50 years ago and independently a few other times.The trees get way bigger than 20m and are quite tropical.Fruit can be of good quality especially with low fibre types.The taste is fairly standard being papaya and pumpkin with mango/rockmelon overtones.The relative dominance of the pumpkin taste and sweetness can vary a bit and make the difference between pleasant and ordinary.
Great explanation, I can totally agree without tasting it, the leaning towards better or worse. I love, love, love the beta carotene rich fruits, and roots of this world, but its funny how they can be equally as unpleasant, as they may be delicious...

Mmm hoping to stumble upon a very good variety to cultivate.

ftmyersfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Good! Local... We'll be around, how many years to flower?
One is 1.5 years old approximately from an unknown fForida source. The other is from a selected Costa Rica variety that is just a few months old.

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 10:18:47 PM »
Good! Local... We'll be around, how many years to flower?
One is 1.5 years old approximately from an unknown fForida source. The other is from a selected Costa Rica variety that is just a few months old.
do you travel to OcOcsta Rica?

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
I had several seeds that I sowed and grew up with the warm climate but in the winter 10ºC (50 ª F) all died :'(

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
Excuse me  50º F

ftmyersfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
My in ground has taken 40 degrees for an hour or so with no real issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk