Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: CA medfly quarantine preventing 100,000lbs of orange donations  (Read 250 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
A medfly quarantine for California's San Fernando Valley citrus is now preventing at least 100,000 pounds of backyard oranges and other fruit from being harvested for needy residents. Officials at Food Forward, a nonprofit that harvests surplus fruit for the poor, say the loss is impacting thousands of hungry residents at food pantries across Southern California. “About 100,000 pounds of backyard produce will not be available to us — and to folks in need,” said Rick Nahmias, executive director of the North Hollywood-based charity. “We’re talking mostly oranges, grapefruits and lemons and tangerines. And avocados.

http://www.freshplaza.us/article/10107/CA-medfly-quarantine-preventing-100,000lbs-of-orange-donations

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
Re: CA medfly quarantine preventing 100,000lbs of orange donations
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:38:59 PM »
Perhaps somebody can process them into Five-Alive :)

fyliu

• Burbank, CA weekdays Covina, CA weekends zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
Oh no. I'm less than 2 miles outside that quarantine. Thanks for this info.

Cyan

• Valley Center 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
I just relocated from there and am sorry to hear this.   It was a real shame to see all of the fruit falling in yards across the valley and going to waste.  Probably helped increase fruit fly reproduction too, because people just leave it to rot on the tree and the ground.  The efforts to harvest the fruit and donate it to food pantries was a good idea and helped improve the diet of people it was donated to.  I hope they find a way to address the medfly problem.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers