Author Topic: Safou(dacryodes edulis),what variety is this ?  (Read 2366 times)

Han Sen

• Borneo
    • View Profile
Safou(dacryodes edulis),what variety is this ?
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
Halo,everyone ...

I am a new member in this forum ...
I am a fruit trees collecter from Borneo(Sarawak,Malaysia), not many, just abt nearly 300species in collection ...

In my hand is Safou(dacryodes edulis) fruits, i need someone to help me to identify this Safou (dacryodes edulis) variety ... a freind bring back the seeds fr Africa and planning in Borneo and now is fruiting!

Thank you so much for your attention.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:32:44 AM by Han Sen »
Sen

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Safou(dacryodes edulis),what variety is this ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »
Hi, welcome.
I don't know that there are named varieties of safou.  Those look nice and fat.  The fruits I have seen are more narrow and pointed than those.  We can't find much information on this species.  The trees I have are about four years old and still have not flowered.
Congratulations on your collection!
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:42:25 PM »
I think Peter is right on this one -- these are not typically vegetatively propagated & I don't think that there are any named varieties.  I had Paul Noren (African fruit expert) stay with me a while back -- sounds like there is a huge variation in color, size, shape, oil content, etc for this species.  It sounds like it is not a big deal to go to market and find 6-8 different looking varieties of this fruit there.

John

Han Sen

• Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »
Thanks for comments, i have a variety photo fr a freind, but unluckly not in clear version ... the variety in photo look like is more than 10 ...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:52:55 PM by Han Sen »
Sen

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
Hi, I grow these also, in my greenhouse.  The fruits vary widely from tree to tree, and although certain seeds may be planted because they came from a favorite tree, the other folks are correct in that there really aren't named varieties.  The fruits you have a photo of are probably just from different trees.  Interesting, though!

However, since you grow these, I do want to pick your brain!

These trees are generally not widely cultivated, and I have found little information about their care.  It is thought that this species MAY be dioecious, because on African farms, there are some trees that never fruit.  I have been unable to locate good, close-up photos of the flowers from fruiting trees and non-fruiting trees.  I am afraid to get rid of any of my trees, in case they are dioecious, and I accidentally get rid of the only male.  Do you have photos of the flowers from your fruiting trees??? Do you have any trees that have never fruited, and do you have photos of THOSE flowers?

Thanks!

Carolyn

ChristineMessner

• ChristineMessner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 12:54:09 AM »
People in West and Central Africa have been eating safou for centuries as a fresh fruit between meals and cooked as a main course. When roasted or quickly boiled in salted water, the pulp separates from the skin and seed and takes on a buttery texture. In Nigeria, cooked pulp is combined with starchy foods like maize to make a main course. And if cooked for even longer, a healthy oil, primarily made up of unsaturated fats, can be extracted from the pulp and seed.

Han Sen

• Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »
Thank for the comments ...
Sen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk