Author Topic: interesting Inga (Pilosula ?)  (Read 2912 times)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
interesting Inga (Pilosula ?)
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
interesting article on some of the lesser known Inga

The Inga Plant Family
http://www.indigenous-rainforest-keepers.com/the-inga-plant-family.html

Anyone familiar with Pilosula ?
It appears the fruit isnt as large
i am wondering if the cold tolerance is better ?
and how good is the flavor.
there is one on Ebay fairly cheap.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: interesting Inga (Pilosula ?)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:56 AM »
That place where the Moraru live is in country of Guyana, which is part of Amazon, so very tropical. I doubt those species of ingas would do well in cooler climates. For that you want to access inga species that grow in southern Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay.
Oscar

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:57:04 AM »
Inga feuillei grows like weeds in a large pot for me. My seed-grown trees are less than 1 year in age and are 6+ ft tall. Dont know if they'd fruit successfully, but maybe I could tweak the environment to be more suitable. It generally stays between 70-85 degrees in the greenhouse, but not too humid. Good temps for growth, but I don't know about flowering.
Anisha

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »
Inga feuillei grows like weeds in a large pot for me. My seed-grown trees are less than 1 year in age and are 6+ ft tall. Dont know if they'd fruit successfully, but maybe I could tweak the environment to be more suitable. It generally stays between 70-85 degrees in the greenhouse, but not too humid. Good temps for growth, but I don't know about flowering.

i knew there was one that was a bit more hardy than the others.
i have what i think is edulis, but i left it out, and we had one night that got down to 27F.
(coldest night weve had in 7 or 8 years)
it died back to the roots. its actually leafing out now though.
it was about 3ft from seed in a 3gal container.
since we dont always get a frost in the winter, if we can get 2 to 3 years of mild winters
without frost, or, i can keep it in a container for 2 years, it should be large enough to put it in the ground
and even if we do get another freeze, it will be large enough to just loose leaves and maybe twigs.

If feuillei can give me 2 or 3 degrees better, i should really go with that.
If anyone has seeds, i would love to get some.

do they need 2 plants for pollination ?
if so, can i mix species, or will they  not flower at the same time ?

thanks
Brad

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:45:04 AM by greenman62 »

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »
I keep it in the greenhouse though. Only outside in summer. Hopefully the temps warm up soon so your Inga will take off. I have two plants but I'm pretty sure they're monoecious. A they are probably my most vigorous grower other than Passifloras! If you are going to plant one in ground, I'd take all the steps to prevent cold damage. Because you never know what weather we might get these days! They do not like strong winds either. Seeds (at least from U.S. sellers may be available in summer. Idk for sure. Some seeds have multiple embryos. :D I got 2 from Tradewinds but got three plants. I would have traded the third, smaller one, but I traded it last year.:(
Anisha

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:30 PM »
In the link pasted by the thread starter i read about the golden inga.From the description it seems this species has excellent taste.However from my web search i can't seem to find any info on its scientific  name.Does anyone in this forum familiar or know anything about this species?

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:16:35 AM »
In the link pasted by the thread starter i read about the golden inga.From the description it seems this species has excellent taste.However from my web search i can't seem to find any info on its scientific  name.Does anyone in this forum familiar or know anything about this species?
Inga vulpina? It has yellow fruits and pink flowers. Idk about the eating quality. :P
Anisha

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »
Inga vulpina? It has yellow fruits and pink flowers. Idk about the eating quality. :P
Vulpina fruits are smaller and more rounded than photos on their golden inga photos.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
Here's a supposedly centennial inga plant.Not sure if it is really an inga plant.I first found it on facebook while searching the term 'ingazeiro' which is what ingas are called in Brazil.Maybe ingazeiro can also mean other kinds of tree other than inga species.The tree is in quatro passo minas gerais.A search on google while typing 'quatro passo ingazeiro centeneiro' gave plenty of pictures of this tree from various blog entry.Here's one of them http://ecoviagem.uol.com.br/blogs/os-caminhantes/viagens-nacionais/passa-quatro-15865.asp   If it really is an inga species what is the exact species of inga is this?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
hmm  ??? i guess the picture is not very clear for identification.maybe some members from brazil can shed some light on the id

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk