Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Unsealed Documents Raise Questions about the safety of Roundup  (Read 1004 times)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/business/monsanto-roundup-safety-lawsuit.html?emc=edit_nn_20170315&nl=morning-briefing&nlid=73791756&te=1

The reputation of Roundup, whose active ingredient is the world’s most widely used weed killer, took a hit on Tuesday when a federal court unsealed documents raising questions about its safety and the research practices of its manufacturer, the chemical giant Monsanto.

Roundup and similar products are used around the world on everything from row crops to home gardens. It is Monsanto’s flagship product, and industry-funded research has long found it to be relatively safe. A case in federal court in San Francisco has challenged that conclusion, building on the findings of an international panel that claimed Roundup’s main ingredient might cause cancer.

The court documents included Monsanto’s internal emails and email traffic between the company and federal regulators. The records suggested that Monsanto had ghostwritten research that was later attributed to academics and indicated that a senior official at the Environmental Protection Agency had worked to quash a review of Roundup’s main ingredient, glyphosate, that was to have been conducted by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

The documents also revealed that there was some disagreement within the E.P.A. over its own safety assessment.

The files were unsealed by Judge Vince Chhabria, who is presiding over litigation brought by people who claim to have developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma as a result of exposure to glyphosate. The litigation was touched off by a determination made nearly two years ago by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, a branch of the World Health Organization, that glyphosate was a probable carcinogen, citing research linking it to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Court records show that Monsanto was tipped off to the determination by a deputy division director at the E.P.A., Jess Rowland, months beforehand. That led the company to prepare a public relations assault on the finding well in advance of its publication. Monsanto executives, in their internal email traffic, also said Mr. Rowland had promised to beat back an effort by the Department of Health and Human Services to conduct its own review.

Dan Jenkins, a Monsanto executive, said in an email in 2015 that Mr. Rowland, referring to the other agency’s potential review, had told him, “If I can kill this, I should get a medal.” The review never took place. In another email, Mr. Jenkins noted to a colleague that Mr. Rowland was planning to retire and said he “could be useful as we move forward with ongoing glyphosate defense.”

The safety of glyphosate is not settled science. A number of agencies, including the European Food Safety Agency and the E.P.A., have disagreed with the international cancer agency, playing down concerns of a cancer risk, and Monsanto has vigorously defended glyphosate.

But the court records also reveal a level of debate within the E.P.A. The agency’s Office of Research and Development raised some concern about the robustness of an assessment carried out by the agency’s Office of Pesticide Programs, where Mr. Rowland was a senior official at the time, and recommended in December 2015 that it take steps to “strengthen” its “human health assessment.”

In a statement, Monsanto said, “Glyphosate is not a carcinogen.”

It added: “The allegation that glyphosate can cause cancer in humans is inconsistent with decades of comprehensive safety reviews by the leading regulatory authorities around the world. The plaintiffs have submitted isolated documents that are taken out of context.”

The E.P.A. had no immediate comment, and Mr. Rowland could not be reached immediately.

Monsanto also rebutted suggestions that the disclosures highlighted concerns that the academic research it underwrites is compromised. Monsanto frequently cites such research to back up its safety claims on Roundup and pesticides.

In one email unsealed Tuesday, William F. Heydens, a Monsanto executive, told other company officials that they could ghostwrite research on glyphosate by hiring academics to put their names on papers that were actually written by Monsanto. “We would be keeping the cost down by us doing the writing and they would just edit & sign their names so to speak,” Mr. Heydens wrote, citing a previous instance in which he said the company had done this.

Asked about the exchange, Monsanto said in a second statement that its “scientists did not ghostwrite the paper” that was referred to or previous work, adding that a paper that eventually appeared “underwent the journal’s rigorous peer review process before it was published.”

David Kirkland, one of the scientists mentioned in the email, said in an interview, “I would not publish a document that had been written by someone else.” He added, “We had no interaction with Monsanto at all during the process of reviewing the data and writing the papers.”

The disclosures are the latest to raise concerns about the integrity of academic research financed by agrochemical companies. Last year, a review by The New York Times showed how the industry can manipulate academic research or misstate findings. Declarations of interest included in a Monsanto-financed paper on glyphosate that appeared in the journal Critical Reviews in Toxicology said panel members were recruited by a consulting firm. Email traffic made public shows that Monsanto officials discussed and debated scientists who should be considered, and shaped the project.

“I think it’s important that people hold Monsanto accountable when they say one thing and it’s completely contradicted by very frank internal documents,” said Timothy Litzenburg of the Miller Firm, one of the law firms handling the litigation.

The issue of glyphosate’s safety is not a trivial one for Americans. Over the last two decades, Monsanto has genetically re-engineered corn, soybeans and cotton so it is much easier to spray them with the weed killer, and some 220 million pounds of glyphosate were used in 2015 in the United States.

“People should know that there are superb scientists in the world who would disagree with Monsanto and some of the regulatory agencies’ evaluations, and even E.P.A. has disagreement within the agency,” said Robin Greenwald, a lawyer at Weitz & Luxembourg, which is also involved in the litigation. “Even in the E.U., there’s been a lot of disagreement among the countries. It’s not so simple as Monsanto makes it out to be.“

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Unsealed Documents Raise Questions about the safety of Roundup
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
I think California is the only state to officially declare that Roundup weed killer causes cancer.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:46 PM »
+1

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:37:01 AM »
The New York Times article seems designed to rebut yesterday's European Chemical Agency's release that Glyphosate is not classified as a carcinogen, but you should keep it out of your eyes and bodies of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkksDCntfXw

That World Health Organization group has previously been known for some bizarre conclusions.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/08/10/hot-beverages-world-health-cancer-coffee-column/88511276/?source=acsh.org

DurianLover

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:28:42 AM »
You guys are bluffing with your conspiracy theories. I miss JC from Fiji to straighten you all out  ;).

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:36:03 AM »
Saltcayman, thank you for good message about roundap and monsanto problems. Many people around the world loves them, and their great products, and praised them for their exceptional ethical behavior ;)

More seriously: a number of other chemicals have a similar effect. If you want to be healthy, stay away from ANY chemistry. While our constant organisms secrete the toxin, but in practice just one molecule of the pesticide and one mutated by it to the cancer cell. Your immune system sometimes works well and sometimes not. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you have cancer.

Those that profit is not covered eyes know that: there are excellent (almost free) alternatives, or natural remedies to combat or reduce pests. Unfortunately, all over the world have the same problem - the human greed and laziness which makes farmers apply chemical toxic agents. Omnipresent is aggressive, corporate, brazen marketing by which pushes people literally to buy something that they do not need.

Patience is a gardener's virtue

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »
You guys are bluffing with your conspiracy theories. I miss JC from Fiji to straighten you all out  ;).

NY Times - losers that love a good conspiracy.

But no, you don't want to make a cocktail out of it.  Use common sense.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »
I will be spraying my trees with Common Sense this weekend.  I was surprised it was not on the OMRI list.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »
I will be spraying my trees with Common Sense this weekend.  I was surprised it was not on the OMRI list.

Spraying your trees?  That's a bunch of BS.  It's used on weeds silly boy.

I just sprayed my farm with Common Sense - 40 gals. of it to be exact.  Some of that good ol Common Sense might be just what you need Rob.

Many years ago a group of us gardeners watched a Monsanto rep take a gulp of diluted Round Up to show its safety.   Haven't seen that boy in quite a while now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:04:39 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »

Spraying your trees?  That's a bunch of BS.  It's used on weeds silly boy.

I just sprayed my farm with Common Sense - 40 gals. of it to be exact.  Some of that good ol Common Sense might be just what you need Rob.

Many years ago a group of us gardeners watched a Monsanto rep take a gulp of diluted Round Up to show its safety.   Haven't seen that boy in quite a while now.

Ahhh, but thats where you are wrong.  Common Sense works on the whole garden, not just with weeds...
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:01 AM »

JC was wayyyyyyyy out there.  He was a polished conspiracy artist.

Since we've decided to hijack a gardeners forum with yet another political "he said she said" ditty, what do you guys think about "global warming"?  Especially ya'll living in the NE right now?  Where's Al Gore when ya need him? 

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
estrogen mimicking chemicals you wonder why there so many beta males

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »

"Beta males" what does that even mean? Stupidist thing Iv ever heard.
What determines being beta vs Alpha anyway? The musings of keyboard warriors?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »

I wonder why there are so many conspiracy wackos.

Wait a minute, is Monsanto also the direct cause of transgender mental and physical conversions?  ;D

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
simmer down beta

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
simmer down beta
Still don't really know what that means besides that the user sof the term arenot too bright...

My powerlifting total is pretty respectable. Is lifting very heavy things not "alpha".
In fact do you even lift?
If your total is lower than mine I guess you must be the "beta"
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

DurianLover

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »

We also watched Monsanto rep, just haven't seen it actually happening.

! No longer available

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 12:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the quarterly reminder of why "off topic" section was removed.
Less traffic and posts to the site but less ridiculousness and people flinging chocolate Sapote bombs, pushing the line on being banned. With the state of unease ,in these times , in the States ,and people feeling emboldened to express their divisive or hateful opinions they would normally bury in a public space, it's a good thing.

I do wonder of those who use the weed killer, do you notice the smell and does it bother you?

As a fruit grower why would you spray something on your soil that is a "killer" when you could accomplish the same result of weed eradication by applying wood chips on your soil , improving your soil and making it more "alive". Improving the soil for better crops and the best fruit possible is the goal , no?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »
For some reason people like brown dead weeds in a fence over green living things on the same fence line

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Because Bush, even adding mulch does not stop weeds, at least here in Central Florida. I weeded a bed two weeks ago and put a couple inches of mulch on there on top of the mulch already there. I already have dollar weeds profusely coming through along with some others. Note that before I laid the bed down in the first place I cleared the ground of all plants and roots with a shovel to bare dirt. I don't have time to go weed 120+ beds around my trees. Round up doesn't penetrate the soil and breaks down quickly. Just don't spray right up to the fruit tree and things are fine.

I never noticed a smell to Roundup. I think the silicates from my rock cutting hobby will kill me before round up does. That said I am not making a cocktail of it and drinking it in any way.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
betta male  ;D

fyliu

• Burbank, CA weekdays Covina, CA weekends zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
Is that the legendary Norwegian blue? ;D