Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Unsealed Documents Raise Questions about the safety of Roundup  (Read 1005 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Unsealed Documents Raise Questions about the safety of Roundup
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
The beta alpha thing is very problematic in my opinion and tries to box men into a very particular archetype
Also the terms "beta" and "alpha" are almost exclusively used by misogynists.
 Box much ?
Alpha also = higher end of bell curve
Alpha do not care of boxes

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »
Well Shot, I don't have a point of reference so I don't know how you define alpha. But I usually perceive the term to be loaded with implications of dominance, a hint of social darwinism, and a view of fellow men as being inherently superior or inferior to one another (for a given value of superiority. Is it strength? Dominance? I don't know). Perhaps you don't use the term in that manner, but for those that do, I find that unfortunate. It's uncivil and a show of bad faith, to consider others as inherently inferior to oneself. On what grounds? For what criteria? And who gives value to such criteria? I don't see anyone as being inferior to myself; there's no need, and nothing to gain from it, except as an exercise in ego (which I try to avoid). Perhaps that makes me a beta, and I'd be fine with that. I don't much care to pull out the "claws" and a dominant act if the situation doesn't call for it. Like what? The only thing that matters: the well being of my loved ones. If they're fine, then I'm as meek as an earthworm. And I'm okay with that. Hmm... Meekness... I guess that makes the Earth mine.  ;) ;D

If you define it differently, then disregard the paragraph. I mean no offense regardless.

Keep it classy, Shot.  :)

dwfl

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »
Stuart,
 Thanks for the explanation. I find your posts intelligent and articulate and was confused on this one as it seemed from left field.

A Mark,
 I have no experience working with toxic chemicals, it seems like a good way to go for me.
I have no need for working with glyphosate . I read labels, look stuff up and do the best research I can in life, if there's 2 ways to do it and 1 doesn't involve purchasing anything and makes the soil and plants really happy , that's an easy call. Free and the tree's look great and it's done, the thought process does not go further down the line because 1. Free 2. Building soil 3 trees doing great 4 go purchase poison to spray just doesn't happen, it's not a necessary step. Some of y'all have acres planted or 100's of trees and the time saving is worth it for you , I get it.

Ehh, even with 100s of trees I don't have a use/need for glyphosate... There's a grower with 10+ acres in this thread with over 1000 trees and stated he doesn't use or need glyphosate.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 03:44:09 AM »
I know a man who has thousands of small plants and uses only natural remedies successfully.

Various methods have different advantages and disadvantages. Such a general remark and reminder: we all have the right to have an opinion on this topic, but let's respect opponents. In my opinion, if any person or group of people in a particular area they want to use chemicals then go ahead, but the food and the area should be clearly marked, so that those who do not want the food and do not want to stay on the ground had knowledge and were able to identify potential danger. Probably if we marked the food (chemical and non-chemical) that almost no one would buy this nice food with a dose of chemistry. At the moment lobbying of the chemical industry and medicine is so strong that even the warnings on the packaging of these products (chemistry for amateurs/farmers) are reduced. This is not right, and from that we should start: require clear marking of food and chemical that we as consumers have a choice. Weave here different theories and philosophies of life there is no special meaning. Everyone makes a choice on their own and can build the foundation of life on their chosen bases - if it does not harm other people (also looking perspective, and given the long-term accumulation of these substances in organisms).

Some minor facts of our lives for beginners and not decisive whether to use chemicals or not used: more or less since 1990 Polish farmers do not use dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (lat. Clofenotanum, DDT, Azotox). DDT used mass of about 40 years from 1950 to 1990, the period of the disintegration of this compound has several decades (40-60 years). The incidence of cancer in Poland increased by approximately 90% since 1990 to 2017. http://onkologia.org.pl/nowotwory-zlosliwe-ogolem-2/ Of course this time increased detectability, but it is dictated by the growth conditions in the part of the environment, food, stress, etc. So the food intake of pesticides at first glance could be of significance. The pesticides used after DDT time - in the years 1990-2017 (obviously also roundup) are substantially stronger than the previous DDT and other, just much smaller amount of based on the same area for the same effect. The problem for the body is not a one-time exposure to chemical but the accumulation over many years, and which produces changes in the body at the time. Fortunately for chemicals manufacturers it lies in the fact that it is difficult to link long-term impact of a particular disease. It demands expensive research that really no one on hand. Governments - because taxes derive from the sale of resources and save money which would have to pay people for long pensions (simply they die fairly young age), medical and chemical corporations for obvious reasons. I only mean "Smith" / "Kowalsky" may suffer for this, but it is often already 2 meters underground where it also reaches chemistry ;) Regards. Dominik
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:07:23 AM by Domnik »
Patience is a gardener's virtue

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers