Author Topic: Just got a box of cherimoyas in. What do you think?  (Read 2551 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Just got a box of cherimoyas in. What do you think?
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
Dr. White and Booth from Goodland Organics.  $40 shipped and in great shape.  Now what do I with them regarding ripening.  Fridge upon softening, right?

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a box of cherimoyas in. What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
Hi Mark, what was the form of shipping??            Patrick

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »
Hi Mark, what was the form of shipping??            Patrick

USPS medium flat rate.  Was lucky to get them as the service by the USPS has really turned to shit and it's not me that's been affected!  I'll leave it there.........

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
Hi Mark,
those cherimoyas you received, they look like were being picked from about the same age fruits; so consequently, they will likely be ready for optimum consumption at about the same time/day.

I find that once cherimoya fruits start to "give" a little (ripe), then they will rapidly accelerate the ripening process...you might hope that putting them in fridge would stop this process, but I find that it isn't exactly so, they continue the process, albeit at a slightly slower rate.

If you plan on consuming them all at once -once they ripen- (eg. same day) then this would be good; but if you plan on eating it like a fruit per day; the first fruit might be just right, the 2nd one may still be good, but by the time you come to the 3rd or 4th day, the fruits maybe a little over ripe; too soft/mushy- based on my personal experience.

So, if you were to eat those 4 fruits at the rate of 1/day, then some compromise might be in order...
lets say, eat the 1st fruit slightly under ripe, then your 2nd and 3rd day's would be "just right" (hopefully) and the 4th fruit would probably be little over ripe...so, you'd be the judge...

My 2 cents...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:24:19 PM by Samu »
Sam

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »
Hi Mark,
those cherimoyas you received, they look like were being picked from about the same age fruits; so consequently, they will likely be ready for optimum consumption at about the same time/day.

I find that once cherimoya fruits start to "give" a little (ripe), then they will rapidly accelerate the ripening process...you might hope that putting them in fridge would stop this process, but I find that it isn't exactly so, they continue the process, albeit at a slightly slower rate.

If you plan on consuming them all at once -once they ripen- (eg. same day) then this would be good; but if you plan on eating it like a fruit per day; the first fruit might be just right, the 2nd one may still be good, but by the time you come to the 3rd or 4th day, the fruits maybe a little over ripe; too soft/mushy- based on my personal experience.

So, if you were to eat those 4 fruits at the rate of 1/day, then some compromise might be in order...
lets say, eat the 1st fruit slightly under ripe, then your 2nd and 3rd day's would be "just right" (hopefully) and the 4th fruit would probably be little over ripe...so, you'd be the judge...

My 2 cents...

Excellent advice for this here newbie, thanks!  Will take this into consideration.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
They do not go down hill that drastically,  at least not so much depending on the quality/condition of the fruit.   Once they start to ripen,  you will have a good 3 days to consume with still having peak characteristics.  Really no different from a mango, peach, nectarine,  etc.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
They do not go down hill that drastically,  at least not so much depending on the quality/condition of the fruit.   Once they start to ripen,  you will have a good 3 days to consume with still having peak characteristics.  Really no different from a mango, peach, nectarine,  etc.

OK, I feel better as we're going out of town this coming week.  Might have to take a few along.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
When I get a box of Cherimoyas, I hasten the ripening of a few fruit so that their ripening time is spread out. I use a box filled with shredded paper and put the Moyas in so that they are not touching, top with shredded paper and close the box and place in a warm location, about 85-90F. Make sure to keep them out of air conditioning as this will retard the ripening process. These fruit will ripen several days to a week earlier than the other fruit kept at room temperature but it depends on many other factors such as how ripe they were to begin with and how warm your ambient temperature is.

This is also how I try to get many different varieties of mangos to ripen at the same time for our annual Mango tastings.

Simon

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »
Mark,
When did you order? I just checked and their website shows "all orders are on hold"?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »
You have to call them up.

Simon they ripened within 3 days and got too soft especially one.  Like any fruit I need to learn when to put them in the fridge which I believe is when they just begin to yield.  House temps of 74F.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk