Author Topic: mango flower mildew  (Read 959 times)

chipboy5399

• USA, Florida, Port Orange, 9-b
    • View Profile
mango flower mildew
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:45 PM »
  Hello all, I live in the northern most regions for mangos.  I also have the most cold tolerant mango tree (Baileys Marvel) but unfortunately we have been getting a bit of cool weather now at blooming time.  Add to that we also have been getting some dew every night which causes the flower peduncles to turn gray and get a mold like growth over them causing them to wither.  I am hoping for warming weather which will stop the night dew but what can I do  about the situation now?  Is all lost?  I know that copper will stop it but that it will also kill the whole tree.  Is there any hope for any fruit this year or will the mildew overtake the whole tree of flowers???  I an anxious and also desperate as this is spreading fast.  I thank all in advance for any help.
Salute'
  rick

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: mango flower mildew
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
I dont really think Baileys Marvel is any more cold tolerant.  It actually is not a favorable variety to grow in inland area that stay moist, as you sre describing.  It does not have very good disease resistance.   It does better near the coast.

Anyway, what you are describing is powdery mildew.   Copper will not take care of this.  You will need to spray with sulfur.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk